Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206029 - 08/13/10 01:16 AM "The Colony" - my thoughts
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Season 2 of Discovery channel's The Colony has started and this time they are showing the full episodes on their webpage.
Link

For those who haven't heard about this, it is kind of a reality show (though more of a role-playing show if you ask me) where the premise is 99% of humanity has been killed off by a super-flu. A group of survivors are placed together in an urban wasteland (this season it's 10 blocks of New Orleans earmarked for razing after Katrina) and they have to "scavenge" and build stuff to survive.

Of course, their area is pre-stocked with assorted things like tools, food sources, and assorted other bits of technology to make their lives easier. On the other hand they are also occasionally "attacked" by raiders who steal their supplies, vandalize equipment, molest their shrubbery, and sometimes kidnapped members.

I'm pretty sure any of you watching the show spend as much time shouting at the tv as I do, but there are actually some good lessons to be learned from the show:

1. I'm pretty sure the actions/reactions/thought processes of the people in this show mimic those of 99% of the general population. By studying them we can learn what errors to expect from others.

2. Most people would do well with lessons on how to display negative feelings in a constructive manner. There's a lot of passive aggressive stuff going on which just leaves bad feelings festering. When someone screws up let them know, ask them they how they could have done better, tell them they need to do better next time, then drop it.

3. Shy people with good ideas are easily beaten down by loud people, mean people with bad ideas.

4. Hide most of your supplies, only leave out what you'll need that day.

5. Security security security!

6. If no one is in charge then the loudest (and often dumbest) person is in charge.

7. Most people have no imagination and have a very hard time understanding anything outside their little world. For instance, a root celler is a useful thing in Montana, but a 2-ft deep hole dug in in the ground in New Orleans isn't going to keep your fish soup from spoiling. Sidenote: the rule of thumb is ground five feet deep will be at the yearly average surface temperature for that location. Up north this is great, down south it's still going to be warm.

8. Do something great and people will think you are great. But if you do something wrong the next day you'll become the worst person in the world.

Overall I am finding theprogram enjoyable though mainly as a away of learning what to expect from others. I personally think their adventure looks like a lot of fun and I keep wondering if I made a mistake turning down a spot on the show.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#206047 - 08/13/10 07:46 AM Re: "The Colony" - my thoughts [Re: Blast]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK

Think you'd find it frustrating since no one would listen to you though you are the one who knows what to do!

>I keep wondering if I made a mistake turning down a spot on the >show.

QJS

#206048 - 08/13/10 09:49 AM Re: "The Colony" - my thoughts [Re: quick_joey_small]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Too contrived for me. The presence of cameras makes the entire thing a sham. Also, the fact that no one is allowed to hurt others or to be hurt trying to survive makes the entire thing unreal.

Watched about a half episode of the the first series, laughed at the efforts versus the results and went to bed.

IMHO no one but Les has come close to a true survival show.

#206049 - 08/13/10 10:03 AM Re: "The Colony" - my thoughts [Re: JBMat]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

'a friend of a friend' appeared on one of these 'reality' shows and reported they were even told what to say when giving their 'opinions' to the camera.
The fact there is always a goodie, a baddie, an underdog to sympathise with ... etc (as in the 'talent' shows) to make it a soap opera is a bit of a clue. And if all else fails they can simply edit it to create a drama.
QJS

#206050 - 08/13/10 10:17 AM Re: "The Colony" - my thoughts [Re: JBMat]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: JBMat

IMHO no one but Les has come close to a true survival show.

+1 - I watched three episodes of Man vs Wild while travelling this week. The things that Bear Grylls did were IMO examples of what no one in their right mind should do in a survival situation. It would have been fun to see Blast on TV though.

#206065 - 08/13/10 01:13 PM Re: "The Colony" - my thoughts [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Actually it would be useful to see what happened to one of us in that situation.
Would we be listened to? Most people don't even know enough to keep warm by staying out of the wind and think starvation is the main danger.
Would trying to show others what to do just mean you'd get all the responsibility?
Go for it Blast!
QJS

>It would have been fun to see Blast on TV though.

#206144 - 08/14/10 02:35 PM Re: "The Colony" - my thoughts [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Look. I am not some mechanic, inventor, carpenter or doctor. My skill set in said situation would be much more mundane. I understand security in hostile territory, I can learn quickly enough to be an extra hand in anything and (I have at least been told and have a track record for) being a natural leader of people with a decent ability to mediate conflict resolution and team strategy.

That being said, and I haven't seen the third epi yet, security should have been a top priority in the first two epi by at least closing off avenues of ingress/egress in such a large area. The wanders trying to see what was in the building should have been the clue there. For goodness sake a high OP/LP at least.

With such a large area, and now a pattern of intrusion, they must cache supplies.

I am sure that they are disallowed to create some security systems, such as fire hardened spears, shields, pungi sticks, rebar batons, etc. But C'mon! what was deal with the fire extinguisher in a riot. It'd be easier to make mustard gas. I will not believe that these people are so dense as to ignore the obvious, so I will blame the show itself for not allowing them to do it...yet.

#206148 - 08/14/10 03:47 PM Re: "The Colony" - my thoughts [Re: comms]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
The show sounds like dumb, silly entertainment. I'll have to check it out. grin

#206192 - 08/15/10 02:39 AM Re: "The Colony" - my thoughts [Re: ireckon]
StephanieM Offline

I thought the show was a little odd, those folks were attacked by others, I have to think why wouldn't those folks fight back with deadly force.

#206276 - 08/16/10 05:22 PM Re: "The Colony" - my thoughts [Re: StephanieM]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
We just got TV, and set it to record..

Hope to catch up laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.