Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#202908 - 06/03/10 02:17 PM First Aid: Binder or Book?
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
So, I have FINALLY started putting together my "Blast's Binder". I have copied all important documents for the household, medical records, etc for each member of the house (including pets).

Now I get to work on the fun stuff. I have printed a water purification guide from the EPA website. I am working on my 72 hours kits. smile Yay, I feel so productive!

My question is, should I print out some basic first aid instructions to go in my binder, or would I be better off purchasing a book of first aid to keep with my first aid kit? Or both?

~Marion C. Garretty

#202909 - 06/03/10 02:26 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: Krista]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I think a book would be best and then dog ear pertinent pages or chapters. May go so far as photo copy some pages for same books for the rest of the family to keep in their BOBs.

#202911 - 06/03/10 02:41 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: Krista]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
First off, good for you for taking some proactive steps to be prepared.

My answer is to have both. You definitely want the book since it will have a full range of injuries/illnesses covered, and that should be with your FAK or home medicine chest.

But some situations may be either more likely or require faster response, and those pages you might want to put in your binder for faster access (I'm assuming that the binder will put someplace easily accessible). Things like the CPR protocol or what to do when your child has a really bad asthma attack, how to recognize and what to do for a suspected heart attack, stroke, etc.

#202916 - 06/03/10 03:47 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: Arney]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

http://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Wilderness-Medicine-Adventure-Medical/dp/0965976807

I keep this one in the kit in my SUV, it actually came with the kit but can be purchased separately. It's by far the best book I've found on emergency medicine. Some of the better outdoors stores also sell the book, so you might find it locally.

Personally I'd want the book or manual with my FAK, as if you have an emergency that involves sickness or injury--you want everything in one place. I actually keep a dog first aid quide, printed from the net, folded and with the above book. Thought I'd toss that in since you too have a pup.

Edited by rebwa (06/03/10 03:49 PM)

#202918 - 06/03/10 04:01 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: rebwa]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: rebwa
http://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Wilderness-Medicine-Adventure-Medical/dp/0965976807

I keep this one in the kit in my SUV, it actually came with the kit but can be purchased separately. It's by far the best book I've found on emergency medicine. Some of the better outdoors stores also sell the book, so you might find it locally.

Personally I'd want the book or manual with my FAK, as if you have an emergency that involves sickness or injury--you want everything in one place. I actually keep a dog first aid quide, printed from the net, folded and with the above book. Thought I'd toss that in since you too have a pup.

Thanks rebwa! Do you happen to have the link for the dog first aid guide?

~Marion C. Garretty

#202922 - 06/03/10 04:12 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: Krista]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
If you have the time take a first aid course. Bet the local community college has one - and the lists for what courses are being offered just came out too (no, not psychic, just also in NC and it's a statewide thing). For that matter, see if any are offered on base freebie like.

I agree with all of the above, have both a book and copy pertinent stuff, but it's best having hands-on training and knowing what to do in the short term without having to look it up.

#202923 - 06/03/10 04:35 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: JBMat]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
FWIW, when I build a new FAK I include a copy of the Wilderness First Aid book cited above. When out on overnights it makes light reading while there's still a bit of daylight. Never hurts to have a reference - I can imagine if one Scout is down, I can be treating him from memory / training, while another Scout could be looking in the reference book to make sure we don't forget anything. Keep them all busy...

#202930 - 06/03/10 05:39 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: Krista]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I've been doing the same thing.

1) Get CPR and first aid training from the Red Cross, Heartsaver, or another certified organization. These classes will provide basic manuals with the hand on instructions. These are more of the Check/Call/Care instructions then anything advanced. Take Advanced First Aid, Wilderness First Aid, or First Responder training for the more advanced techniques. The training will provide needed hands on practice, and the certification will also provide some legal protection under the "Good Samaritan" laws in case somebody dies or is injured while you're attending them.

2) Get a first aid book, separate from any printouts in your binder and keep it with the FAK. The Red Cross has a first aid manual. I've got a copy of "Everything first aid", which is written along the same lines. Also, it keeps blood off of your disaster binder (I'm not kidding, I've bloodied up several kits patching myself up).

3) An advanced book (e.g. wilderness first aid). This is strictly a SHTF measure for when ambulance services are not available or severely delayed. It will NOT offer any legal protection, but I think its better than having no idea what to do.

Last and legal note: If you're treating someone you need their consent and they need to be informed that you are, or are not, certified for a particular technique. The last first aid course I took said nothing about the old "unconsciousness = consent" law. So I'm not sure it's still valid.

#202931 - 06/03/10 05:55 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: Mark_R]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Mark_R raises a good point that I missed, binder or book, make sure you have first aid training, the more the better. I like the Wilderness First Aid training and am renewing it later this month. But basic First Aid is better than nothing, and no matter what you take, concentrate on stopping bleeding and treating for shock, in *most* (not all) situations, you'll be fine (and you probably won't need a book/binder, as long as you have a suitable FAK). Without some basic first aid training, I don't think the binder or book will do you very much good, and may actually mislead you - the extreme is always the guy who decides to do a tracheotomy on his 12 year old, based on manual instructions, not training - and its worse if you do such a procedure on a non-relative.

#202933 - 06/03/10 06:12 PM Re: First Aid: Binder or Book? [Re: Lono]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Lono
...But basic First Aid is better than nothing, and no matter what you take, concentrate on stopping bleeding and treating for shock, in *most* (not all) situations, you'll be fine (and you probably won't need a book/binder, as long as you have a suitable FAK). Without some basic first aid training, I don't think the binder or book will do you very much good, and may actually mislead you - the extreme is always the guy who decides to do a tracheotomy on his 12 year old, based on manual instructions, not training - and its worse if you do such a procedure on a non-relative.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I have to disagree on the first aid book. I remember how to treat shock (legs up, keep warm) and my CPR (30+2), but lesser common injuries (pet bites, insect stings, etc) I need a reference. Your memory is going to be on the fritz in a stressful situation.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.