Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#202377 - 05/24/10 03:18 PM Cheap Cast Iron Pots and Pans
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I picked up an 22cm wide enameled cast iron casserole pot from the local supermarket today for £7.50 or about $11.20 and a Griddle pan for about £10 or $15. The quality appears to be very good (Tesco's finest own brand).

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-9034.aspx

Any advice for cooking with these types of pans, apart from not dropping them on your foot. smile

They also have a matching large griddle plate which would fit the double burner home emergency/barbecue butane stove that I have quite nicely for about $25. It measure 47cm by 26cm by 2cm thick.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-7485.aspx

Would this be worthwhile getting as well. Any recommendations for cheap cast iron products. I'm currently re-equipping the kitchen and looking for durable i.e. kitchen products that will at least last around 10 years use for the Decade of Austerity.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/24/10 03:22 PM)

#202393 - 05/24/10 06:57 PM Re: Cheap Cast Iron Pots and Pans [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Good cast iron cookware is a frugal investment. It can last more than a lifetime and only gets better with age, provided it is cared for. It is at it's best when used regularly.

That said, there's a lot of knock-off cast iron out there. That this is an in-house version most likely means it was made by a non-standard foundry, probably somewhere in Asia, and imported in under the Tesco name. That doesn't mean it is no good, but that it is suspicious. There have been some serious quality contol issues with cast iron cookware coming from China and third world countries. Not all of it is bad, but I've seen some real junk, unhealthy junk, imported here that was essentially unusable.

Cast iron cookware should be of uniform thickness and fairly pure. Some of it coming from China was poorly cast, and they've been known to use lead to fill in casting flaws, which will infiltrate the food you cook in it.

If you know what to look for, you can find some pretty good deals. I've opened a dozen or more cartons of cast iron pots and pans at Costco in order to find one set that meets my standards. For those who aren't as experienced as me, I suggest the basic caveat, "You (usually) get what you pay for." Sometimes even the big expensive guys like Lodge will have a screw up. Fortunately, they stand behind their product, and they've always done right by me.

Sorry to say, I am unfamiliar with Tesco's version. IMHO, investing in good quality cast iron cookware is a smart thing, and if you can find a good deal on some that is even better. Hope it works for you, if you decide to get it.

#202397 - 05/24/10 07:23 PM Re: Cheap Cast Iron Pots and Pans [Re: benjammin]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
+1 on Benjammin's comments.

I'm partial to Lodge brand -- not the cheapest, far from the most expensive. Made in the USA (except for the enamel line). Check out the "Lodge Logic" pre-seasoned line.

Especially the "camp dutch ovens" which have great utility for preparedness.

Highly recommend buying a few quality pieces, knowing they'll last you for the rest of your life.

Love cast iron -- once I started cooking with it I tossed all the non-stick.

Take care of it and someone may still be cooking on it in the 22nd century.

For the cheapest, best cast iron I'd recommend checking out second-hand shops and garage sales and snagging "Griswold" or "Wagner" cast iron pieces.

They are highly sought for their quality. Griswold (later purchased by Wagner) is particularly sought. Lodge is over 100 years old. You can find some great old pieces at great prices.

Much more satisfying and reliable than cheap China stuff.

#202399 - 05/24/10 08:04 PM Re: Cheap Cast Iron Pots and Pans [Re: Dagny]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I'm also a devotee (but not a collector) of the Lodge brand - the local Fred Meyer seems to have between a 10-20% discount on the entire Lodge line every month or so, and I have been picking up cast iron pieces when they do. My latest is a flat griddle, on which I've been having fun making corn and flour tortillas. I have also bought Made in the USA, because of suspicions of quality control on cast iron from China.

I was at a Cabela's a few months back looking for a dutch oven, and they didn't stock any Lodge - I asked why, and the sales associate said there were some issues with quality from Lodge, so they stopped carrying them. Can anyone confirm recent quality issues with Lodge? 100% of their dutch ovens are made by their US foundry. I prefer to think it was Cabela's possibly going more down-market with their own store-brand offering (which was not made in the USA and looked kinda punk).

Also fwiw my mom still cooks on an old Wagner cast iron, its at least as old as she is, and probably came from an aunt or cousin.

#202400 - 05/24/10 08:12 PM Re: Cheap Cast Iron Pots and Pans [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
LED Offline
Veteran

Then again, Tesco is one of the worlds largest retailers/grocers and their purchasing power allows them to negotiate any price they wish with a manufacturer. So in this case, the price of the cookware may not be indicative of quality. FWIW, people swear by the quality of products at Fresh & Easy markets here, which are owned by Tesco.

#202406 - 05/24/10 09:09 PM Re: Cheap Cast Iron Pots and Pans [Re: LED]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Even Lodge is pretty cheaply made, although it's not inexpensive to buy. Unfortunately there aren't as many manufacturers of quality CI cookware as there used to be.

#202419 - 05/25/10 12:09 AM Re: Cheap Cast Iron Pots and Pans [Re: Phaedrus]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I have ridiculously expensive Le Creuset enamel cast iron as well as Lodge and cannot tell the difference in quality. The only discernible difference after years of use is subtle styling details.

Non-enamel Lodge cast iron is not very expensive. I've purchased almost all of mine at Amazon -- with free shipping. Here's a 12-inch pre-seasoned skillet for $19 (free shipping):

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-12-Inc...9223&sr=1-1

Have gotten some terrific deals at Amazon on enamel Lodge as well as their pre-seasoned line. Some good deals right now on their enamel 3 and 6-quart Dutch Ovens (and with free shipping).

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Kitchen-Hous...;pf_rd_i=289814

#202437 - 05/25/10 10:05 AM Re: Cheap Cast Iron Pots and Pans [Re: Dagny]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I do a lot of cooking with a Lodge combo cooker, and a Griswold dutch oven. The double cooker is essentially a large pot with a handle and a frying pan for a cover. Each piece can be used separately. It is beautifully seasoned, and it serves a decorative function in the kitchen as well. I also picked up a vintage European made cast iron Swedish pancake pan at a yard sale for a buck last week.

Cast iron cookware does add some dietary iron to food. This can be a good thing or a less than good thing depending on your age, and the quality of the piece. For this reason, I keep my cookware well seasoned, and don't use it to make stew or anything that is acidic or requires a very long cooking time. Others under 50 may not have this concern.

Lodge published a book in 1996 named "Black Magic, 100 Years of Cast Iron Cooking" by Chef John Folse. ISBN #0-9625152-5-6. It is about 100 ringbound pages and covers a little history, care, and some recipes for cast iron cookware. I got one online for $1.00.

Attachments
Lodge Combo Cooker 15.00.jpg

#202438 - 05/25/10 10:08 AM Re: Cheap Cast Iron Pots and Pans [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Le Creuset is pretty overpriced for what you get. I guess I wasn't clear- most of the CI you get nowadays isn't as good as was pretty common 60 years ago. If you can find it, Griswold Cast Iron is the gold standard, IMOHO.

#202442 - 05/25/10 11:15 AM Re: Cheap Cast Iron Pots and Pans [Re: Phaedrus]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
I've been thinking of getting one of the Lodge combos. I think Fleet Farm has them on sale once in a while.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.