The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#200177 - 04/14/10 09:40 PM Fleece
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Since the synthetic fleece material was first produced several years ago I have noticed that there are a lot of imitation products being produced.

In my opinion, it's not all the same.

Background:

Polar fleece (also known as microfleece), usually referred to simply as "fleece," is a soft napped insulating synthetic fabric made from Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) or other synthetic fibres. One of the first forms was Polar Fleece created in 1979 by Malden Mills, now Polartec LLC., a new, light and strong pile fabric meant to mimic and in some ways surpass wool. Fleece has some of wool's finest qualities but weighs a fraction of the lightest available woolens.

I am looking for feedback on what's the best material and who makes it.

Thank you,

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz

#200183 - 04/15/10 12:39 AM Re: Fleece [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I am looking for feedback on what's the best material and who makes it.

Harris Tweed from the Outer Hebrides in the Western Isles of Scotland. wink

But seriously, plastic polyester fleece has it's place, if you can live with its downsides.

Fleece isn't particularly warm compared to multiple layers of good quality thin silk/merino wool mix or down or even synthetics designed purely for insulation such as primaloft.

I wouldn't want to be wearing the same fleece garmet for more than 3-4 days. The grotty feeling wearing fleece for extended periods is a real downside. Fleece needs to be regularly laundered whereas wool garmets can go on for weeks before they you begin to notice your own stink. Never use fleece trouser/pants for extended use as a sweaty itchy smelly groin area does nothing for morale. Which of course makes one really wonder how often they do the laundry on the Star Ship Enterprise. Well lets just say I've never seen Captain Picard say 'make it so' to his washing machine in the 25th Century. whistle

Fleece is made from polyester and will catch fire and burn easily. If in a survival situation i.e. open camp fires you will need to be especially careful that the fleece garmet doesn't become a serious liability.

Choose you fleece fabric carefully as each fabric weight has been designed for very specific climatic conditions. Windproof fleece such as Polartec Windbloc or one of its variations/competitors such as Gore Windstopper can be very useful for cold high activity use.

Overall I would say that Fleece is just as much a compromise as a good woolen sweater and good woolen sweaters are now remarkably cheap considering the expected long term use you would get from a woolen garment. Good quality fleece isn't really all that cost effective and very cheap fleece will effectively do the same job as the more expensive fleece if your not really bothered about how dapper you look after a few weeks of use whereas Harris Tweed could still look the business even after many months of hard use.

Whilst out shopping today at the local DIY store, I came across a fleece Snuggie and I couldn't help but be reminded of the Carousel Death Ritual from Logan's Run.

#200191 - 04/15/10 02:11 AM Re: Fleece [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I bought my first fleece jacket(a Malden Mills product) and it was a noticeable improvement over the quite adequate woolen garments I had been wearing up till then. I still have it and have developed an incredible attachment to it because of the fairly daunting conditions in which it has shielded me.

I have found it to be softer, warmer for equivalent weight
(particularly when wet), and moth proof. I was dazzled by the way my fleece jacket kept me warm in wet snow/sleet/rain condition like the weather that killed the Canadian gentleman we were just discussing. It also worked wonderfully as insulation inside a dry suit when I was diving in 34 degree water, better than the insulation provided by the dry suit manufacturer. The third critical situation was my first date in eighteen years. It worked there, as well.

Fleece does have a downside. It isn't good around sparks. I don't believe it ignites and burns, so much as it melts, a trait that is not good for your skin. Fleece is definitely not the thing to wear to a plane crash or a wildfire. I don't know about odor. The longest I have worn a garment was three weeks (very vigorous exercise) and everything smelled bad at the end of that excursion, but the fleece was no worse than anything else.

Malden Mills fleece has the reputation, particularly when fabricated into garments by high end manufacturers like Patagonia. My first fleece was made by Patagonia, well before they became known as Patagucci. All I can say is that the purchase turned out to be a bargain. I have owned cheaper brands, as well, and none of them have fallen apart on me. I scored a real bargain about a year ago - a wonderful jacket from Duluth Trading Company with nice features, solidly built and in the best possible color (red) - all for about $40. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

I think there are two main branches in outdoor clothing. Traditional woolens worn by those who build campfires and fleece worn by those who use stoves. North woods contrasted with mountain climbing.

#200196 - 04/15/10 07:06 AM Re: Fleece [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
The smelly comments are most relevant for under garments. I use high quality merino wool undergarments. Not only because of the smell, but mostly because it works much better than synthetic counterparts when wet or damp. Reduced smell is just a bonus (although if you've ever smelled someone who has been wearing synthetic underwear for 3 days, you'd agree that it is a pretty big bonus.). Synthetic underwear has its place for high-activity stuff where you don't stop running until you hit the shower. If you stay outdoors for extended periods of cold weather, wool undergarments are a much better choice.

Fleece is excellent for mid-layer garments, though - and some wind/water resistant qualities are also good choices for outer layer in some conditions.

I am fascinated about how high quality fleece repels water. You can literary shake fleece dry (almost), and the remaining moisture dries very quickly. This alleviates the problem of loss of insulation when wet. Wool insulates better when wet, but dries slowly.

I love my wool sweaters (some of which are in the "outdoors only" wife acceptance class), but fleece is what I actually bring with me for extra mid-layer insulation. Except if I know I'm going to do a lot of wood burning or want the extra fuzzy feeling that wool gives me...

#200199 - 04/15/10 10:56 AM Re: Fleece [Re: MostlyHarmless]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
There are certainly "grades" of fleece, as far as quality goes, but my experience is that 80% of the pricetag is for the name. I have a $400 North Face goretex jacket & fleece combo (when they first came out-likely cheaper now), that has served me extremely well. The fleece jacket has deployed with me all over the place, and is a little worse for wear, but still serviceable. The pile has flattened somewhat-but, oddly enough, still insulates extremely well when covered with something windproof.
I have since gone to a lighter weight fleece pullover I got for $10 at a chain store-which I have had for 2 years, and it has been worn for 2 New England winters (with a windproof layer), and I have been fine. Even if I have to replace it every 3 years (no signs of wear yet), thats still a bargain. I take it camping, hiking, and geocaching, so it gets regular use. Being a lighter garment, it is more flexible than my TNF 300 weight fleece jacket-which now sits forlorn on a hanger. To me, thats valuable in & of itself.
I read somewhere that Malden Mills produces something like 80% of fleece garments made. So, chances are, whether its a brand name, or a cheap one, its made by the same folks.
As for undergarments-when I where long underwear, I usually go with thin silk ones, then polypro over that, if needed. I have a pair of fleece pants I used to use when winter camping, for lounging around-as I dont really do that anymore, they have no use. Yes, polypro gets smelly-but, my only experience, as pointed out by others above, is that, at that point, I smell, so does everything else-as for odor retention, I never really noticed-but, being outdoors, I didnt really care either.

#200201 - 04/15/10 12:27 PM Re: Fleece [Re: oldsoldier]
Frozen Offline
Journeyman

If you are doing anything that involves exertion and a lot of movement, the thinner fleeces with Lycra (Like Malden Mills Powerstretch) are a good choice. Powerstretch has one fleece face and one knitted nylon face that makes it easy to layer. I have a couple of Patagonia pieces that date from the first introduction of Powerstretch about 15 years ago, and they're almost like new. There are many newer variations on this concept.

#200215 - 04/15/10 01:48 PM Re: Fleece [Re: Frozen]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Rivers west of course. Waterproof, windproof, breathable, durable, and an exceptional warranty. You won't find any fleece better.

#200216 - 04/15/10 02:01 PM Re: Fleece [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The fleece I prefer comes from http://www.massif.com//

#200243 - 04/15/10 09:41 PM Re: Fleece [Re: Russ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, maybe I stand corrected. Massif appears to have all the same qualities as Rivers west plus fire resistance! What will they think of next?

It ain't cheap, but then quality never is.

#200245 - 04/15/10 09:51 PM Re: Fleece [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I wear it when I fly (work) and just sitting around a fire. Good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.