Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#196012 - 02/17/10 02:26 AM Degrees of Lucky
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
OK, Susan posted degrees of stupidity. Here's degrees of lucky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X8DCRv8x5k

I've participated in my share of things that this video classifies as Level 3, sort of like saying "Y'all watch this!' -- free climbing 80-foot bluffs, getting lost in a cave, making gunpowder at age 13 (who needed the Internet in the 1970s, the recipe was in the dictionary), building a firecracker gun that shot 50-caliber marbles -- but I don't want to elevate things to Levels 4 and 5.

Blast, he seems to be the kind of guy who goes to Level 5 as he laughs in the locomotive's face! grin

#196018 - 02/17/10 04:07 AM Re: Degrees of Lucky [Re: Newsman]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
My computer doesn't like videos... what's it showing?

Sue

#196022 - 02/17/10 07:10 AM Re: Degrees of Lucky [Re: Susan]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

1) Lucky: two genii (geniuses) stand on the inside of a turn (imagine the grassy area besides a highway on-ramp) at a European rally race (they're spectators standing on part of the course). As the car slides off road, one gets missed by feet, while grandpa hugs/pets the car as it slows down, and are considered "Lucky".

2) Really Lucky: similarly situated photographer (on this course there is actual red tape, and this guy is behind it) gets saved by a tree (car loses control and swerves into and is stopped by a tree).

3) Dumb Lucky: 4wd(?) pickup in the desert goes fast (30mph?) over a dune, genius standing free in the back. When the pickup jumps over the peak, and piledrives (sticks nose first, rear in the air) into the sand (on the other side of the dune), the genius keeps flying. Miraculously he lands softly some 50+yards down hill.

4) Damn Lucky: makeshift desert rally race finish line, the flagman , standing free near a bank, dodges death by a hair as the car flips over him, miraculously missing him. He gets a nice sand shower, but isn't turned into hamburger.

5) Holy Crap Lucky: India, train tracks under an overpass (read BRIDGE), a genius couple decide to play chicken with express train, dodge death by 1 second just to get to the other side.

Edited by EMPnotImplyNuclear (02/17/10 07:12 AM)

#196062 - 02/18/10 12:54 AM Re: Degrees of Lucky [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Looking at #2, to me, that photographer was lucky, but also thought it out - he appeared to be deliberately standing behind that tree, knowing it would stop most things

BTW, there is a similar one of a rally, where the photographer is standing in a drive/lane that is perpendicular to the course, and he's beind a nice stone wall/embankment - the "up road" propert is 6 or so FEET above the road surface - sure enough, someome wipes out and slide alone the side of the road, and he just stans there, as the wreck goes bouncing by about 3 ft away
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#196065 - 02/18/10 01:25 AM Re: Degrees of Lucky [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
1) Lucky: two genii (geniuses) stand on the inside of a turn (imagine the grassy area besides a highway on-ramp) at a European rally race (they're spectators standing on part of the course). As the car slides off road, one gets missed by feet, while grandpa hugs/pets the car as it slows down, and are considered "Lucky".

2) Really Lucky: similarly situated photographer (on this course there is actual red tape, and this guy is behind it) gets saved by a tree (car loses control and swerves into and is stopped by a tree).

3) Dumb Lucky: 4wd(?) pickup in the desert goes fast (30mph?) over a dune, genius standing free in the back. When the pickup jumps over the peak, and piledrives (sticks nose first, rear in the air) into the sand (on the other side of the dune), the genius keeps flying. Miraculously he lands softly some 50+yards down hill.

4) Damn Lucky: makeshift desert rally race finish line, the flagman , standing free near a bank, dodges death by a hair as the car flips over him, miraculously missing him. He gets a nice sand shower, but isn't turned into hamburger.

5) Holy Crap Lucky: India, train tracks under an overpass (read BRIDGE), a genius couple decide to play chicken with express train, dodge death by 1 second just to get to the other side.

Hey, what happened to the funny Blast comment? I had a "No, I go up to 11!" reply I was going to use! laugh

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#196091 - 02/18/10 02:50 PM Re: Degrees of Lucky [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Somewhere at the top of the lucky list has to be the "I ran for president and actually got elected" lucky.

Or maybe that is unlucky, depending on your point of view.

#196101 - 02/18/10 05:26 PM Re: Degrees of Lucky [Re: Blast]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Blast, Newsman wrote at the bottom of his post

"Blast, he seems to be the kind of guy who goes to Level 5 as he laughs in the locomotive's face! " grin

I think you neeed to have your glasses prescription checked whistle

#196111 - 02/19/10 12:33 AM Re: Degrees of Lucky [Re: Newsman]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Newsman, with the exception of the "lost in a cave", I think I probably did everything you described and then some. Thankfully the statute of limitation has long passed, but I look back and realize that doing some of the things we did in the 70's would today secure you room and board in a maximum security facility. whistle cool grin

#196118 - 02/19/10 02:08 AM Re: Degrees of Lucky [Re: rescueguru]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
Rescueguru, that was in no way a complete list!

The dad of one of my two best friends was a steamfitter/pipefitter who had a machine shop in the garage. It was well stocked with all manner of tools, pipes and bar/slab stock.

I would love to list a few of the projects we built. Would make a great reality TV show today. As, it seems, would a great number of people who visit this Website.

When something went bang, pow, or ka-boom, a mom in the neighborhood would call you -- as we laughed hysterically -- "You boys OK?" Today, they'd call out the SWAT team.

Ah, being a teenager in the 1970s and earlier! We had it so good and didn't know it.

#196129 - 02/19/10 05:12 AM Re: Degrees of Lucky [Re: Newsman]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You realize, of course, that Luck plays an important part in determining how things that people do turn out.

It's the mostly-unlucky ones that make the newspapers.

I'm sure you've heard of the man who asked his friend to take his picture at the edge of Mt. St. Helens a few days ago. He took one step backwards and fell about 1500 feet into the caldera. They knew he was alive for some time, as he blew his whistle to let them know, but the helicopter couldn't get to him until the next day. The autopsy will will tell if he died from his injuries or hypothermia.

Luck. Sometimes her attention is elsewhere.

Sue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 603 Guests and 80 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.