Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#193871 - 01/19/10 02:56 AM Scalpel vs. Razor blade
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
I have noticed many times that a replacement scalpel blade is preferred over a razor blade on this forum. Why is this?
I have an extra.

#193877 - 01/19/10 04:04 AM Re: Scalpel vs. Razor blade [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't know about the thinking of others but IMHO the scalpel blades are simply a generally more usable shape. The scalpel blades have enough of a point to allow fine work and poking holes and enough curvature to allow them to be used to scrape a skin or perform similar tasks without the corners catching and poking holes.

Then again I usually tend to prefer to slip in a tiny, but good quality, pocketknife rather than worry about raw blades like scalpel or razor blades. A pocket knife has a handle, I have sliced myself pretty well using a razor blade, and integral sheath attached which makes them a lot handier and safer to use. Even a small pocket knife is a lot tougher than the bare blades, which tend to snap with fairly slight lateral pressure.

About the only thing that the bare blades have going for them is that they are very compact, light and sharp. They and will hide in a belt, wallet or buried in the sole of a shoe and they are literally shaving sharp.

#193881 - 01/19/10 05:38 AM Re: Scalpel vs. Razor blade [Re: Art_in_FL]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
IMHO, the scalpel blade is made for more critical tasks compared to a razor blade. Hence, better quality control.

Personally, I like the way it attaches to the handle - much more reliable blade fixation than with any Exacto razor blades.

Edited by Alex (01/19/10 05:42 AM)

#193887 - 01/19/10 11:41 AM Re: Scalpel vs. Razor blade [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh
I have noticed many times that a replacement scalpel blade is preferred over a razor blade on this forum. Why is this?

That's probably because scapel blades are easier to obtain. Single edge razor blades are something of a speciality item. There are also space and volume considerations.

Having said that: scalpel blades can be easily attached to a bit of whatever to make a small, usable knife.

One other option worth considering is the Derma-Shave razor. They also come as a small hacksaw blade. Slightly large than a scaple blade but much better.

http://www.donrearic.com/airman.htm

They are still made and obtainable on E-Bay.

#193905 - 01/19/10 03:59 PM Re: Scalpel vs. Razor blade [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i had a look at the link to don/airman and the survival kit there and was wondering if these kits were put together with feedback from pilots and GI's who really had survival situations and when debriefed said something like "if we had a -----it would have been better" or it was just a bunch of stuff that some study group thought would be handy?-

#193957 - 01/20/10 02:07 AM Re: Scalpel vs. Razor blade [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Scalpel blades without the handle are harder to hold onto and easier to lose than single-edge razor blades. And the style of the blade can make a difference, depending on what you intend using it for.

Sue

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.