The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#192311 - 12/31/09 11:34 PM BPA-Free Campware ... Finally Caved In
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
After several years of ignoring the anti-BPA camp that claims Lexan type plastics should not be used (as in Nalgene water bottles and other Lexan eating gear), I started thinking about it more lately. I finally caved in after reading this article in Scientific American:
Just How Harmful Are Bisphenol-A Plastics?

I made the decision that its simply not worth risking the health of my family and bought them new water bottles ( REI Nalgene Everyday Wide-Mouth) and camping mess kits ( REI Chefware Table Set) - a plate/bowl/cup/knife/fork/spoon/bag set used when camping with the Scouts (Boy and Girl).

I'm not trying to start any political or social arguments ... I'm just saying I've found myself in the "what if they're right" camp.

#192321 - 01/01/10 02:51 AM Re: BPA-Free Campware ... Finally Caved In [Re: KenK]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I think avoiding BPA in things you use every day is okay. Good but not essential. But for containers that will only see use in an emergency and short term I'm not willing to make any great investment in changing things out.

It isn't like the alternatives don't often have issues. A few years back some spun aluminum cookware and bottles were found to have high levels of lead. Lead paste is used as a lubricant on the aluminum because it makes manufacturing easier.

I also suspect that new plastic with BPA leaches most of its BPA out in the first few uses and when used with hot liquids and materials are stored in it. Anyone who has used a new bottle and tasted the 'new plastic twang' knows what I'm talking about. I suspect that if you boil up some soapy water in the microwave and scrub it well, repeating it a few times, you might significantly reduce the amounts of BPA leached out. I do that anyway to avoid the new plastic taste.

Then again most of my plastic containers are polyurethane not Lexan but in time, as the various pieces of emergency gear break or need replacement, I will naturally lean toward BPA-free plastics.

#192510 - 01/03/10 02:47 AM Re: BPA-Free Campware ... Finally Caved In [Re: Art_in_FL]
sodak Offline
Addict

I got some BPA free bottles for my kids, just in case, but will continue to be irresponsible and live dangerously with my own...

Edited by sodak (01/03/10 02:47 AM)

#192517 - 01/03/10 03:31 AM Re: BPA-Free Campware ... Finally Caved In [Re: sodak]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Yeah, I'm thinking of the kids more than myself. If it hasn't killed me yet I'm not worried about it.

I wasn't too worried about the bottles since my kids didn't put hot liquids in their Nalgene bottles, but then I started realizing that their mess kits were Lexan too, and those regularly hold hot food. I decided to get them new mess kits and figured that the $10 for a new BPA-free Nalgene bottle was worth the peace of mind.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.