Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#187965 - 11/10/09 04:13 PM Deer Hunting Story with Knife Lesson (Long)
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I went on my annual deer hunting trip to the camp in central Ontario that I own with my 2 lifelong friends.

The hunt went well despite the nasty weather, early Thursday morning found me standing in a wooden ladder treestand overlooking a swampy beaver narrows that connects two dense conifer areas.

It was raining and the accumulated snow on the trees was sliding off making it quite noisy in the bush. Suddenly at the forest edge I saw a deer's feet walking under the balsam fir cover. I brought the rifle to my shoulder and popped off the scope caps, I heard a low grunt and an 8 point buck stepped into the clearing about 25 yards from me. I snapped off the safety and since he was quartering toward me, shot him at the base of the neck angling the bullet into the chest. Instant death, he did not even twitch.

Because my hunting partners were going to push toward my stand location, I just waited in my treestand. When they were close I saw more feet approaching from the other bush edge, but these were different. A huge bear came out of the bush about 20 feet from my stand and crossed the opening into the bush beyond, it paid no attention to the dead deer as it passed by.

I gutted the deer where it fell and dragged it along the swamp edge to our ATV access trail about 200 yds away; quite a chore for a middle aged softy like me. I turned the dragging over to two younger camp members as I neared the trail, as there was some blowdown to navigate through.

I process my own game at home which is a time consuming job, but I like the finished product and it gives me a feeling of accomplishment. I am very slow at this chore because I am careful to remove all the fat, bone and connective tissue from the meat. It takes me a full day to skin and quarter the hanging deer in the garage; then butcher, wrap and clean-up the mess in the kitchen.

I was at the grinding stage last evening when two of my kids offered to help. My teenaged son turned the hank crank meat grinder while my youngest daughter feed the trimmings into it. My job was to double wrap the deer burger for the freezer.

I mostly used a Frosts Mora Clipper knife with a 4" carbon steel blade/rubber handle to butcher the deer, but found that I needed a knife with a longer blade to divide the ground meat into blocks for packaging.

With my slimy hand I reached for an old Mora original knife (I think it is a #3), with a 6" carbon steel blade and oval wooden handle. I placed my thumb on the back of the blade and started to apply pressure to cut through the block of meat, that is when I fell it. I was holding the knife up-side down and my thumb was actually on the edge not on the back of the knife. I caught this mistake early, before the blade made it all the way through my skin, but this brief error had "trip to the hospital for stitches" written all over it!

I remembering reading about this very problem in a survival book and searched my home library for the reference.

I found it in "Ray Mears Essential Bushcraft", page 26; "Never use a knife with a symmetrical grip: in poor light or when you are tired, you may mistake the edge for the blade back and cut yourself".

I was thinking that blade jimping or a slightly raised thumb rest may also help you notice which side of the blade is up.

So a long story for a brief knife tip, but I know my next knife purchase will have features that will allow me to identify the orientation of the blade by feel.

Thanks for following along,

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (11/10/09 08:53 PM)

#187969 - 11/10/09 04:25 PM Re: Deer Hunting Story with Knife Lesson (Long) [Re: SwampDonkey]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
#3 is the long one of these:

I agree, I'm not fond of that handle, but they are inexpensive.

#187972 - 11/10/09 04:34 PM Re: Deer Hunting Story with Knife Lesson (Long) [Re: Russ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks for attaching the picture Russ!

The knife looks almost the same as the #3 but the handle is thicker and there is no step-up to the back or edge of the blade, it is the same size as the front of the handle.

Handling this knife now, I have to say that I also prefer a knife with a slight lower finger gaurd to keep my hand from sliding forward on to the edge.

I have kept this knife in my truck for years but today replaced it with a Mora Stainless Clipper, we will see how that works for a while.

Mike

#187974 - 11/10/09 06:07 PM Re: Deer Hunting Story with Knife Lesson (Long) [Re: SwampDonkey]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Good warning, thanks for posting it. I made the same mistake with a box cutter while working as a stockboy back in college. Two days without sleep and bam! cut down to the bone.

I love my Mora, but that's definitly a strike against them. One rarely gets enough sleep in a survival situation...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#187976 - 11/10/09 06:21 PM Re: Deer Hunting Story with Knife Lesson (Long) [Re: Blast]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have a real hard time buying any knife that doesn't have a decent hand guard. Folders are what they are, but my fixed blades all have to have some sort of guard.

Hoping for a Rat 4 for Christmas, that's about a much leniency as I will go.

#187978 - 11/10/09 06:31 PM Re: Deer Hunting Story with Knife Lesson (Long) [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Just bought two knives from Ragnar:
the Brusletto Spikkekniv

and the Roselli Carpenter's Knife which is a classic Puukko style.

Both should be good for wood-working.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 245 Guests and 80 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.