The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#183276 - 09/26/09 08:56 PM Library 'scissor ban' is 'absurd'
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Folks, if you made up a story like this no one would believe you. The story is good for a laugh anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/8276243.stm

"Ms Watts, from Islington, north London, said: "I asked why I couldn't borrow a pair of scissors and she said, 'they are sharp, you might stab me'."

#183280 - 09/26/09 09:33 PM Re: Library 'scissor ban' is 'absurd' [Re: 7point82]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I suppose the librarian thought it was kinder saying Ms Watts might harm her than if she told Ms Watts she looked too likely to run with the scissors, cut her own fingers with the guillotine paper trimmer or hurt herself in some other equally bizarre fashion.

I know one librarian who would never lend scissors or paper trimmers because she believes almost everybody in the world wants to cut all the pictures out out of all the library books.
Unfortunately her suspicion had evidence to support it.
Many of the science books in the library she managed had been defaced by the religious folks in the town.

#183283 - 09/26/09 09:53 PM Re: Library 'scissor ban' is 'absurd' [Re: 7point82]
Wheels Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Virginia
Oh man *winces* I gotta weigh in here. I manage a large urban public library. We only loan out kid type scissors (short with no sharp points). Some years ago we had a guy borrow a pair of regular scissors from a reference desk so he could threaten another patron with them - he was serious. It was a bit tense but nobody got hurt. We then decided to go to the blunt shorty scissors. It's a crazy world.

#183284 - 09/26/09 09:58 PM Re: Library 'scissor ban' is 'absurd' [Re: scafool]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sadly theft, malicious mutilation, censorship of pictures and ideas are all pretty common with library books.

Smuggle in a razor blade and cut out the right page from a rare books collection and you can sell the page for several thousand dollars.

I have also seen kids use pictures and text cut from library book in science projects. When asked where they got the pretty pictures the kid said he got them from the library and, sadly, didn't think he had done anything wrong.

There are several local evangelicals who made a hobby of checking out books they didn't agree with and simply failing to return them. They publicly bragged about how they were 'protecting the children' and 'cleaning up the library'. Scores of books were disappeared before their check-out privileges were rescinded. A penalty they loudly protested. Contemplating such behavior makes me crazy.

#183287 - 09/26/09 10:06 PM Re: Library 'scissor ban' is 'absurd' [Re: Art_in_FL]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Gotta tell ya, even the kiddie scissors can be used as a weapon, not well, but ...

In a previous life I was a legal NCO in the Army and got involved in some odd cases. One case involved guy, wife and her boyfriend. Hubby went to assault BF. After breaking a knife, Hubby grabs the nearest weapon, a pair of safety scissors. He proceeded to stab the BF 3 times in the forehead - with the blades apart. Sum total of that injury - 6 somewhat painful looking dents/bruises. No blood. Not even big bruises. What a doofus Hubby was.

And quite honestly, after loaning out probably enough office supplies to fill a good sized store, and usually not getting it back, I can feel for the librarian who tried to keep her scissors.

#183290 - 09/26/09 10:30 PM Re: Library 'scissor ban' is 'absurd' [Re: JBMat]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Does the librarian eat at restaurants where the other diners might use ... KNIVES?

#183303 - 09/27/09 03:39 AM Re: Library 'scissor ban' is 'absurd' [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It's really pathetic that some people live in such fear. You wonder how they work up the courage to leave home and go to work.

It's funny what passes for reasoning in some people's heads. If someone cuts someone else with a knife, they want to ban knives. Tens of thousands of people are injured and killed in car accidents, but I don't hear of any group calling for the banning of motor vehicles.

People want laws preventing abortion or capitol punishment until their daughter gets pg, or someone kills their child.

But the fact that they get away with it is incredible.

Sue

#183363 - 09/27/09 10:21 PM Re: Library 'scissor ban' is 'absurd' [Re: Susan]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
One(sic) word: PAPER CUTS

#183367 - 09/27/09 10:57 PM Re: Library 'scissor ban' is 'absurd' [Re: UncleGoo]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Pfffft. Work in an industry that handles a lot of paper, like printing. After a while you won't even notice them unless they bleed. And even then only because you're getting blood on the stock.

Now, corrugated cardboard. THAT's a cut you'll notice. Trust me.

#184417 - 10/06/09 05:45 PM Re: Library 'scissor ban' is 'absurd' [Re: 7point82]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
Okay you have to consider the souce. I lived in London for 3 years and the Englixh tend to be a bit absurd. When I lived in London the number one weapon to rob the local Post Office/Bank was a claw hammer. I did not see the libarians refusal as acutal policay but just self nerosis. It is funny any way.
Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.