Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181608 - 09/07/09 02:58 PM Scouts, nieces and knives
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Britain's blade culture claims another victim ...Scouts' penknives
Quote:
A Scouts spokesman said: 'The Scout Association plays a key role in helping young people develop the confidence, maturity and self-esteem they need to play active and responsible roles in their communities, and to resist the peer pressure that may attract them into local gang culture.

'Scouting helps to prepare young people with valuable life skills, while keeping them safe by not carrying knives.'

Not carrying a knife will keep them safe; is that really what the Scouts spokesman said? Fortunately, others in their organization think differently:
Quote:
Sheila Burgin, a troop leader for 4th Sevenoaks Scout Group in Kent, said: 'Whatever happened to the first Scout Law: a Scout is to be trusted - that is to carry and use a knife safely?

'I allow my Scouts to bring a knife to meetings, but with their parents' permission. They are taught how to use it correctly and risk losing it if they use it inappropriately.

'If you teach young people to respect knives they will value them as a tool. If you treat knives as dangerous implements they may never feel comfortable with them and that is a great loss.'

I recently bought a pink mini-RSK for my niece. At my SIL's recommendation she'll get it on her next birthday (still in single digits). It's a tool and just happens to be pink smile

#181617 - 09/07/09 04:14 PM Re: Scouts, nieces and knives [Re: Russ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Pink is a good choice. Guys think pink is sissy. Good!

I have a friend who paints the handles of most of her tools bright pink. Not only are they easy to see, but the color apparently keeps them from wandering off and getting put into some guy's tool box.

#181620 - 09/07/09 04:25 PM Re: Scouts, nieces and knives [Re: Russ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Both of my teenage daughters have pink Swiss Army Knives, they received them as gifts after completing a significant outdoor accomplishment (Summer Camp adventures) and both have been trained in the safe use.

Whenever one of the girls uses her pink SAK in front of a friend I always hear the same question, "Where did you get the cool knife" and "can you Dad get me one too".

I love being a father.

Mike

#181630 - 09/07/09 05:53 PM Re: Scouts, nieces and knives [Re: SwampDonkey]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I got my GF the pink SAK (breast CA) and it's sitting gatherin dust on her bureau. Some folks just don't get it. I'm practically done trying to convert her. Plus, I'm sick of her "humerous" comments whenever we're with friends.

Maybe taking her stuff out of the home supplies would catch her attention?

Edited by MDinana (09/07/09 05:53 PM)

#181631 - 09/07/09 05:55 PM Re: Scouts, nieces and knives [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Pink is a great color because it immediately identifies it as belonging to her. Knives are a guy thing unless they're pink, even if it is a hot pink wink

Normally I wouldn't think of giving a knife to a girl/young lady as a birthday present, but she seemed to like my yellow mini-RSK and when I mentioned that it came in pink she was all smiles smile

Back to the scouts -- it's really too bad that the Brit Scout bureaucracy sees the answer to perceived knife problems in society to be the denial of their Scouts to have and carry tools that have been part of every Scout's kit for decades. Sad.

#181638 - 09/07/09 11:09 PM Re: Scouts, nieces and knives [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Apparently the Scouts in the U.K. are taking exception with statements in the article. The truth about Scouts and knives indicates they haven't banned knives and "will circulate a more detailed response". I would imagine from this that some of the statements were taken out of context; can't imagine a reporter taking anything out of context whistle

Edit: Another article from Timeonline can be found at Scouts with knives are dangerous. But isn’t that the point? Read the first comment and while the Brit Scout may not have banned knives, they have restricted carriage.
Quote:
chris elmer wrote:
At the risk of letting the truth get in the way of a good story:

I'm a scout leader who has read the rules, The Scout Association has not banned knives. What are the chances of us having Bear Grylls as Chief Scout and not allowing penknives!?

We help the kids be legal and safe. We do not allow them to walk around in public with a knife but we also encoutrage them to own and use knives. They are invaluable on camp.

We ask scouts not to travel to and from meetings with a knife and we ask them to keep it stashed safely in their kit bag on the way to camp.

No ban on knives. They are tools for our members, just as we also let them use hammers, axes, saws and more but would not allow them to walk into town carrying them!
September 7, 2009 12:47 PM BST
Be prepared, except in public. . .

Edited by Russ (09/07/09 11:18 PM)

#181640 - 09/08/09 12:15 AM Re: Scouts, nieces and knives [Re: Russ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
DW loves her tiny SAK Classic, thankfully not in pink. Once she realized it had a file for her nails and a "Gee honey, you don't carry scissors with you." She converted. 15 years later she still loves it.

#181646 - 09/08/09 02:22 AM Re: Scouts, nieces and knives [Re: Russ]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Apparently the Scouts in the U.K. are taking exception with statements in the article. The truth about Scouts and knives indicates they haven't banned knives and "will circulate a more detailed response". I would imagine from this that some of the statements were taken out of context; can't imagine a reporter taking anything out of context whistle

Edit: Another article from Timeonline can be found at Scouts with knives are dangerous. But isn’t that the point? Read the first comment and while the Brit Scout may not have banned knives, they have restricted carriage.
Quote:
chris elmer wrote:
At the risk of letting the truth get in the way of a good story:

I'm a scout leader who has read the rules, The Scout Association has not banned knives. What are the chances of us having Bear Grylls as Chief Scout and not allowing penknives!?

We help the kids be legal and safe. We do not allow them to walk around in public with a knife but we also encoutrage them to own and use knives. They are invaluable on camp.

We ask scouts not to travel to and from meetings with a knife and we ask them to keep it stashed safely in their kit bag on the way to camp.

No ban on knives. They are tools for our members, just as we also let them use hammers, axes, saws and more but would not allow them to walk into town carrying them!
September 7, 2009 12:47 PM BST
Be prepared, except in public. . .

Read the original article here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/19472733/Scouting-magazine-articles-on-knives

Some in the U.K. have objected to the characterization of the Scout policy as a "ban" and claim that the newspaper article is misleading. We don’t think the Daily Mail article is that far off the mark. When an organization with a strong tradition of knife use and carry such as the Scouts comes out and clearly states that it considers knives as weapons first and prohibits their use except in specific situations determined ahead of time, we think "ban" is a fair characterization. Scouts are not to carry knives at any time EXCEPT when a specific need is identified, and even then, they are to be allowed to have them only for as long as it takes them to perform that specified chore. Clearly, the Scout leadership has abdicated to the anti-knife hysteria in the U.K. Clearly they are discouraging carry of knives as a useful tool in daily life. In our opinion, by considering them weapons instead of tools, they are setting a poor and dangerous example for their youth, on many levels. Knife Rights was founded in order to keep knives as useful tools in our everyday life. The policy change evidenced by the Scouts in Britain is anathema to anyone who considers knives to be essential tools and one of our essential rights here in America.

Doug Ritter
Chairman
Knife Rights

The following image, based on a famous painting of Scouts founder Robert Baden-Powell, was sent to me from one of our members.

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#181652 - 09/08/09 10:42 AM Re: Scouts, nieces and knives [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Actually, it's a public place without reasonable cause.

Baden Powell said in scouting for boys that any fool can be cold, wet and uncomfortable.

One of my nightmares is a blazing tent. Trapped scouts, guides or cubs and no knife.

Should we add to that: Any fool can burn to death in a blazing tent?

#181654 - 09/08/09 12:01 PM Re: Scouts, nieces and knives [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Quote:
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
The scout's are adamant this Scout knife policy is not a ban, but when you look at the conditions they put on knife carry, the whole issue of preparedness is rather hollow. They'll be prepared to use a knife. . . if they only had one at the moment they are in need.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.