Topic Options
#177684 - 07/26/09 02:28 AM topical anesthetic
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
What is best for the ear?

What do you keep on hand?

I believe I have a pimple or spider bite in the very upper most corner under the bend/ridge of my ear and it's not visible by me... and the wife says it's a bump but no "puss" thingy like a pimple has...

My ear is swolen, bright red, hot, and the pain is on the very most outside of my ear, and radiates through it... and it's gotten a bit worse where I can feel it on my jaw if I poke it.. basically it's swolen frown

Apparently this is pretty common, and the pain is just radiating and I can deal with that but if you touch it our bump it I feel like I`m gonna die, haha then it goes away in a minute or so.

I'd love to numb it.. what does everyone store / suggest??? Tonight for me it's jack and coke.

-Todd

#177685 - 07/26/09 02:43 AM Re: topical anesthetic [Re: Todd W]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

FYI - It was not ready to be popped if it is a pimple... haha, my ear is now throbbing intensely, and it's visibly swollen from the back of my head. I think the wife enjoyed it all too much wink haha.

#177745 - 07/26/09 10:07 PM Re: topical anesthetic [Re: Todd W]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

One thing you might want to do is have someone examine the area millimeter by millimeter looking for foreign objects, a tick, or infected chigger sore. Sometimes a tick can dig in and the body will swell up around it.

Once you examine the area closely and found nothing i would go with hot moist compresses for an hour or three to see if it will localize and, perhaps, come to a head. You use a dish towel with water as hot as you can stand without doing any damage. You may find that the heat deadens the pain and, for future reference, moist heat also works on itching. If it comes to a head you keep up the compresses until it is easily lanced. Then you clean it out and bandage.

If it doesn't seem the sort of thing that is forming a head or localizing, or if the hot compresses make it feel much worse, you should try cold compresses and see if that helps.

If anywhere along the line the tissue looks to be breaking down, as in an infection or bit that is eating the tissue, your better off getting medical help. If the tissue is breaking down and the affected area is deep, or spreading rapidly heading down to the ER is your best shot. You need to be extra careful with any issue on the head, neck or near the spine.

Also small puncture wounds into fingertips the tip of a toe can be dangerous and lead to a bone infection. A bone infection in a fingertip usually means the finger is amputated. And if your lucky that is the end of it. When in doubt get medical help.

I once had a cactus thorn bury itself deep in my leg. For about a week I was unaware I had a thorn in me. then it started to act up. It would itch and sting a bit and then get better. Then several weeks later the spot blew up, got very tender, and hurt so bad I couldn't sleep. I used a hot compress and it looked to be forming ahead. Over two days I kept up with the compresses until the lump was right at the surface. Lancing it was a relief. Along with a ball of puss and crap came a half-inch long tip of a cactus thorn. Once it was out and the hole cleaned out it healed quickly.

#177748 - 07/26/09 11:39 PM Re: topical anesthetic [Re: Art_in_FL]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Thanks for the advice Art!

Today it was a little more swollen and I've decided to take IBPROFEN (400mg) 3 or 4 times a day. It makes the pain go away, and relieves the swelling somewhat.

I once had a pain like you had except it was in my eye, it felt like I had dirt in it and the itching would never go away.. You couldn't see anything in there, well after one day passed it got worse and I went to my Eye Doc... turns out from grinding metal I got a sliver stabbed directly in my eye. Froze my eye, grabbed some needle tweezer things, all the med students in the building, and pulled it out! Then I got to be a pirate for a day or so...

I`m thinking it's a pimple nothing else looks abnormal... now if it would just go away already wink Haha.

#177966 - 07/28/09 10:47 PM Re: topical anesthetic [Re: Todd W]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Todd W
Thanks for the advice Art!

Today it was a little more swollen and I've decided to take IBPROFEN (400mg) 3 or 4 times a day. It makes the pain go away, and relieves the swelling somewhat.

If you are taking that much, keep an eye on your ankles. Ibuprofin in large quantities can be hell on your kidneys. I did this also, and my ankles swelled up horribly. I haven't touched the stuff since, now I stick to aspirin.

#177977 - 07/29/09 12:30 AM Re: topical anesthetic [Re: sodak]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

1600mg a day is actually not that much. I have prescription for it for 800mg 4 or 5 times a day I believe too... but I agree, it's bad for your kidneys and your stomach!

Today it's gone down, and I only took half a 400 once today and it's almost back to normal... I would get pressure where it hurt and then it would go away, so I think it may have been a spider bite or pimple still... although no signs of a normal pimple or spider bite for that matter! Maybe a foreign object and my body was expelling it, either way my ear is getting better and I didn't need no doctor or antibiotics they would have likely put me on.

#177979 - 07/29/09 12:36 AM Re: topical anesthetic [Re: Todd W]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
while the fact that Ibuprofen is helping is reassuring, I heard about this in the derm clinic today:

chondrodermatitis nodularis helicis

While it in itself is benign, the differential includes basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma. It may prudent to swing by a dermatologist. Just food for thought.

Edited by MDinana (07/29/09 12:36 AM)

#177987 - 07/29/09 02:16 AM Re: topical anesthetic [Re: MDinana]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana
while the fact that Ibuprofen is helping is reassuring, I heard about this in the derm clinic today:

chondrodermatitis nodularis helicis

While it in itself is benign, the differential includes basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma. It may prudent to swing by a dermatologist. Just food for thought.

Not that by the way it looks and affects you.

Thanks though! It's hard to find "outside ear problems" on the web it seems without knowing their technical name. Most "ear" problems are inside frown it seems when you google it. haha.

#178001 - 07/29/09 03:31 AM Re: topical anesthetic [Re: sodak]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: sodak
Ibuprofin in large quantities can be hell on your kidneys.

True, but 1600mg/day is not that large of a dose. Standard dosing is 200-400mg every 4 hours, 600mg every 6 hours, or 800mg every 8 hours. Dosing like this in the short term (over a few days) is usually OK for normal, healthy, no-kidney-disease, non-geriatric patients that aren't taking other meds that may have interactions. Ask your doc to be certain, if you have any other medical conditions, or just aren't sure.

Disclaimer: This information is offered for entertainment purposes only. smile

#178129 - 07/30/09 03:11 AM Re: topical anesthetic [Re: haertig]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Well as I have come to the other side of the Advil overdose, my wrecked kindeys can attest to what too much too often can do to you.

When i was grunt, it was common for most all of us to take 25-30 Advil or Tylenol per day, day after day, in the field. We all knew it was overdose but when you hump 75+ pound rucks hour after hour, up and down terrain, you need some pain relief.

I can't even take Ibu anymore. I have to stick to Tylenol, which just was released it harms the liver as badly as Advil hits the kidneys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.