Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#176085 - 07/12/09 12:29 PM National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh...
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
SO there is this canyon in Zion NP that I was dying to do for quite a while. On my previous 2 visits to Zion I really didnt get to do things involving ropes so this was about to be a technical trip. It happens that Zion reserves certain amount of permits for each section of the park in advance but there is about 20 permits available each day for a specific canyon/trip (very fair). Window that sells permits opens at 7 am so on my first day I get there at 6 and there is 10 people ahead of me. Pretty much its a mized crowd doing different hikes so my chances are good. Well I was wrong some guy gets 4 permits, other guy gets 6 and so on so I didnt get what I wanted. Well not a big whoop. Next day I'm going to be smarter and get up at 4 am to get there. When I get to the permit window there are already 12 people camped out with pads, sleeping bags, chairs etc etc. First guy walks up to the window and asks for 10 permits another asks for 9 and this is it... Third day is the same. I was furious since there are signs all over the place saying no camputs and about prosecution and being removed from the line. When I arrived at Zion and walked up to the ranger desk in the middle of the day lady gave me a speech about permits and if she catches me camping outside her window I will be removed from the park and fined. But still I can live with that but what gets me is some guy buying half the permits avail just by himself. If ya want to climb with group of 10 than get the group of 10 up at 4 am and make them stand in line. Didnt get to climb what I wanted but positive side to it is that I get to go back to Zion again.

SOme pics from the trip:
http://brunerdog.tripod.com/utah/index.htm

#176086 - 07/12/09 12:49 PM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: Polak187]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
argggggh + 1!

We get the same thing on a lot of the parks in Canada.
What makes it even worse is in some Provinces they let Guide/Outfitter companies buy the permits up a year ahead of time for the tourists. It can be really frustrating.

#176087 - 07/12/09 12:58 PM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: Polak187]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
My actions following such an experience would be...extreme.
Feeling your anger, friend.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#176090 - 07/12/09 02:53 PM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: Blast]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Sounds to me like Zion NP should consider a more equitable permit system. In the PNW we have an over-hiked sensitive zone known as the Enchantments, and they have a pretty good - at least pretty fair - system for allocating who gets overnight camping permits. Its one per person/group per year. You best apply for your permit in February, and winners are drawn by lottery. You're not guaranteed your preferred dates. However, a certain number of permits are still allocated every day, at 7am or so, also by random drawing of who is present. Folks will also push the permit system at the limits - there has been alot of day hikers who travel through the area without camping (a fairly strenuous dayhike), and that has a definite impact on a fragile area. It will cut back on the number of camping permits allowed, or eventually they'll just not allow day hikers.

Anyway, it cuts down on the anger factor by alot. And I don't think the Park employees come off like Nazis for administering the whole thing by these rules. Everyone gets a fair shot. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/passes/enchantments/index.shtml.

Maybe Zion's permit system is messed up by commercial, i.e. guide interests. A guide who can only get one permit a year (or week, month, day) doesn't do business in that part of the park. Well, probably these canyons will get so over-used that the park will have to find that traffic unsustainable. Cool down, and write the park ranger, and suggest that their current system is tailored to make people angry. they probably know that, but won't change anything until enough people complain.

#176096 - 07/12/09 04:20 PM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: Lono]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
That's ridiculous!

#176176 - 07/13/09 03:23 AM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: Todd W]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm glad it pretty much worked out.

As much as I might get outraged It might be useful to consider how the rangers see it. Generally they don't get to set policy. They are charged with enforcing rules that they didn't write and which they might object.

I once talked to a ranger who had to call several families that had scheduled outings up to a year in advance and tell them that 'something had come up and they no longer had a permit'. So sorry. The inside on that was a senator decided on the spur of the moment that they wanted to use the site. Politics, and the fact that the senator can cut USPS funding at will because he is on a particular committee, means he gets what he wants. All the rangers can do is smile at the senator and work hard to make it up to the families that got screwed over.

Of course even outside the politics and pressure no matter what system is in place someone will not like it. The rangers hear about it in no uncertain terms and all they can usually do is nod, smile and take it as gracefully as they can manage. Rangers aren't all great guys, they have their share of SOBs, but I don't envy their position and considering the situation it is a wonder that many are as nice as they are.

#176188 - 07/13/09 08:15 AM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: Art_in_FL]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Which permit were you trying to get? I just did the Subway last month and had to go through the same thing. I ended up planning the trip for a Friday in order to increase my chances of getting a permit, but that meant I had to leave Wednesday night and drive through the night to get to the permit office at 5am. I hate the permit system too, but I can understand it is a necessary evil. Without those restrictions, it would end up being like some of the other popular attractions where you would be waiting in line on the hike with hundreds (sometimes thousands) of other people. And for those slot canyons, it can become really dangerous to have a human traffic jam down there.

I'm sure you know, there are three different ways to get the permit. Reservations (which are usually booked months in advance), lottery system, and walk in. That means you really need to plan ahead of time, and it takes all the spontaneity out of the trip, but at least it does give other non-local people a chance of getting in. If you can, have multiple options so if your first choice is booked, just go down the list. If you're flexible chances are you will be able to get a permit for at least one of your choices. And if you go during a weekday, your chances are much better than trying during a holiday weekend.

#176237 - 07/13/09 03:42 PM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: Polak187]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
1 permit per person wopuld be a good rule

#176251 - 07/13/09 04:52 PM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: Stu]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Stu
1 permit per person wopuld be a good rule

+1. If ten are going to do the hike/climb/etc then ten can get their butts out of bed and stand in line. I've played this game for years at Zion, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands and I totally understand the frustration. The tactic that I've employed for years is to go off season. Zion weather is great in Oct, Nov. wink

#176422 - 07/15/09 01:02 AM Re: National Park permits - arggggggghhhhh... [Re: ducktapeguy]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Yeah I was trying to score Subway too and arrived midweek but not much luck. I understand the overcrowding issue and have no problem with permit system in general. My beef is with walk ins distribution and total disregard for rules that in this case Zion NP set.

I know about lottery and reservations but with FDNY and summer months vacation requests I didn't know until 30 days prior if I got time off or not.

Like I said good thing is that I get to go back there...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.