Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#176050 - 07/11/09 10:39 PM advice on car purchase- outback vs passat vs escap
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK, consider this a statement about my trust and faith in ya'll.

My current vehicle has reached the point it is nickle and diming me, I'm done messing around with it. So I've been looking at vehicles, and I've narrowed it down to three. I need to sleep on it, but I will also accept the wisdom and experience of ETS.

The three finalists are all going to run me about the same for car payments and insurance, and all are 6cy engines, so I'm mostly looking for technical feedback:

- '06 Escape, 56K miles
- '05 Passat wagon, 65K miles
- '04 Outback Legacy, 80K miles

As much as I like the Outbacks, I'm inclined to say pass just because it is the oldest and highest milage, and it is going to cost me just as much in terms of loan. But I do like the ride and about 10% of the cars around here are Outbacks or Foresters, so I can get parts and experienced mechanics.

The Passat felt good, but I've never had a chance to really get to know VWs. Are there any issues I'm not aware of? Minor, petty issue- the key kinda scares me.

I've never owned or spent a lot of time driving trucks or SUVs. I am comfortable doing so, but other than higher center of gravity, what else do I need to keep in mind if I go with the Escape? (I've owned nothing but sedans since I killed my Metro.) I know the Explorer had a lot of roll over issues- does the Escape?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#176051 - 07/11/09 10:42 PM Re: advice on car purchase- outback vs passat vs escap [Re: ironraven]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Prices for each? If the Outback is the same, and it should be lower priced given it's higher mileage and age, I'd still buy it. Subaru makes good vehicles, extremely capable on and offroad.

But I'm a bit biased being as I own one...

You sure that Outback has a 6 cylinder?

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#176056 - 07/11/09 11:08 PM Re: advice on car purchase- outback vs passat vs escap [Re: JohnE]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Pretty sure the Outback is a 6 cyl- hope I'm not misremembering things this fast.

Don't remember the sticker for any of the three off the top of my head- with my down payment and trade in, all three of them are going to be in the 230-250/mo payment range on a 60 month loan. So they are about the same price. (And I'll be paying faster if everything goes according to plan, but I'd rather have the flexibility if something happens that isn't in the plan.)

And around here, Outbacks hold price really well due to their popularity.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#176058 - 07/12/09 12:03 AM Re: advice on car purchase- outback vs passat vs escap [Re: ironraven]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Well if it's an Outback wagon with the H6 engine and an automatic transmission your payments are equal to the average price for one. If it's anything else, that price is high. Wait, with your trade in and a down payment? If the payments are that high after a trade in and a down payment, they're asking too much for the Outback depending on what you're trading in and the amount of the down payment.

A 6 cylinder Outback of that vintage is worth about $13,000 give or take a bit depending on mileage and condition.

If you're paying that much and you have to give them a down payment and a trade in, it sounds like you're either getting gouged or you're paying a very high interest rate.

You can buy or lease a basic Subaru Legacy brand new for less than the monthly payment you quoted above. Having said all that, Subaru is the only car company that isn't posting record losses recently, their sales are up for the last quarter at least.

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#176059 - 07/12/09 12:18 AM Re: advice on car purchase- outback vs passat vs escap [Re: JohnE]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

I'm trading in a 99 Taurus with about 150K miles, no muffler (got torn off a few weeks ago on something, don't know what), a crack in the exhaust line and they need to mount a new muffler bracket(the original is rattling in my trunk), a minor gas leak (which is why the two garages I've talked to wanted a premium on fixing the exhaust) and a very talkative power steering pump. And that is just what they can any fool can see. Rear suspension needs work, rear break lines should be replaced before this winter, exhaust manifold might be iffy from the pull on the muffler, and there is a lot of under carriage rust from having lived in VT it's whole life.

If I make her inspectable and replace the power steering pump, it will average out to about $200 a month for the first six months of the year. For a ten year old car with rot that I paid $1000 for two years ago. It will cost less in the long term to replace than repair.

#176061 - 07/12/09 12:39 AM Re: advice on car purchase- outback vs passat vs escap [Re: ironraven]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
The only thing that leaks oil worse than an old Harley Davidson Pan Head, is a Subaru anything.

RIP OBG

#176062 - 07/12/09 12:49 AM Re: advice on car purchase- outback vs passat vs escap [Re: Desperado]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Oil leaks? Not a problem, never been a problem. Not even mentioned on the Outback owners forum I frequent. I'd be very curious as to what model Subaru you've owned that had oil leak issues. And any good British bike makes the leaks coming from a Hardly Ableson look like nothing in comparison.

Iron, given the description of your Taurus I guess you're lucky they're not charging you to take it away...;^)

If your down payment isn't too high and you're happy, then go for it, whichever car you choose. I'll simply add that you've made several good arguments for getting the Subaru yourself and none for the Passat or the Ford.

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#176063 - 07/12/09 12:52 AM Re: advice on car purchase- outback vs passat vs escap [Re: JohnE]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I worked for a Subaru parts department. I shall start with the Loyale, move on thru the legacy finish at the Outback (which is really just a legacy wagon)

Next question please class...

RIP OBG

#176074 - 07/12/09 04:42 AM Re: advice on car purchase- outback vs passat vs escap [Re: Desperado]
JohnE Offline
Addict

I see, so you had oil leak issues with all of the Subarus you owned?

To each their own, I've had none with mine, nor have I read or heard of any issues nor has my Subaru mechanic ever told me of any. The owner of the shop I use and the lead technician have both worked for Subaru corporate as well as for dealers and they haven't steered me wrong yet. Undoubtedly someone who worked in a parts dept. knows better.

The class comment is kinda of a cheap shot don't you think?

comin round

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#176076 - 07/12/09 05:08 AM Re: advice on car purchase- outback vs passat vs escap [Re: JohnE]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: JohnE
Oil leaks? Not a problem, never been a problem.

Yep, not in any of the three I've had over the past 15 years, not even the two that were well over 200K miles (and still ran like champs, except for the ubiquitous cracked inner tailpipe which rattled...but it's only a cracked inner tailpipe). The used '86 GL I'm running right now only has a 130K miles on it so it's going to be awhile before any real maintenance issues crop up.

The only reason I ever got rid of a Subaru was because I was moving.

Just keep an eye out, because there's a preponderance of Subaru owners who don't really pay attention to preventive maintenance. That goes for any car though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 237 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.