The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#174876 - 06/15/09 09:06 PM DTV Update: Worse than I expected
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
So I've posted here a number of times about the digital television cutover and how I was really opposed to it and so forth.
I finally got around to connecting the tuner card to my mac again. It's connected to a huge multi-element VHF/UHF tv antenna mounted high in a tree on my property.

Pre DTV, I could get, with varying degrees of static, CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and two PBS stations out of Philly area, plus two Allentown stations and one other station I'm not sure where it was. I could also get NBC, ABC and Fox out of NY.
All in all, I had something of a selection.

Post DTV, after a re-scan for channels, I get:
WFMZ Allentown
69.1 - local programming/infomericals
69.2 - blank
69.3 - infomercials
69.4 - weather

Channel 39 (can't recall call sign)
39.1 PBS
39.2 Blank
39.3 Blank
39.4 Weather/other odd infomercial like stuff

Channel 60 (some local station)
60.1 Religious Programming
60.2 Color Bars
60.3 Color Bars
60.3 Color Bars

Channel 3 (WKYW)
3.1 Intermittent CBS programming (signal drops constantly)
3.2 Nothing
3.3 Nothing
3.4 Nothing

So....looks like we lost out big time.

Hearing a lot of similar reports of folks who had screens just go blank after the cutover and a rescan found no signals. Seems to be MUCH worse when it rains.

A darn shame.

Found this link about the issues around here.

Edited by martinfocazio (06/15/09 09:10 PM)

#174877 - 06/15/09 10:06 PM Re: DTV Update: Worse than I expected [Re: MartinFocazio]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
This may help those here Link .

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#174879 - 06/15/09 11:56 PM Re: DTV Update: Worse than I expected [Re: leemann]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Yeah, I used their site and they claim I can only get channel 69 and 59, so in some ways I'm doing better than they suggest.

You know, I think this is hardly an improvement. In fact, I have this vast pile of technology that was working FINE until june 11th. Brilliant.

#174891 - 06/16/09 04:31 AM Re: DTV Update: Worse than I expected [Re: MartinFocazio]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
On a side note, on June 13 I tried my old analog mini portable tv just to see if there were still any channels I could receive. I got three: how to change over to DTV by buying a converter box (English version), how to change over to DTV by buying a converter box (Spanish version), and the Home Shopping Network. I got a pretty good chuckle out of that.

Anyway, I'm not sold on the whole DTV thing. It's like when they switched cell phones over from analog and analog/digital combo to strictly digital. In the city it makes little difference, but when you're out in the country the analog phones would still get reasonable signal at the expensive of battery life. Digital phones, forget it, they never get any signal. I imagine TVs work in a similar matter, where you could at least get a fuzzy picture before, you now get nothing.

#174894 - 06/16/09 11:00 AM Re: DTV Update: Worse than I expected [Re: MartinFocazio]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
same thing with my folks. Before the switch, many channels, since the switch...it varies. First they tried a converter. Got 2 channels. Bought an antenna and got one more. Bought a digital TV, back to 2 channels. Bought an expensive antenna, now have 7 channels but most with either no signal, or it is intermittent. They lost their favorite channel and have spent hundreds. They live in the suburbs and not very far out.

I've felt like we got sold down the river since they first made the digital announcement. Poor testing resulted in poor info on which to make a major decision by people who have no expertise (our politicians). End result, less communication. You're doing a heckova good job, Brownie(s).

#174896 - 06/16/09 11:44 AM Re: DTV Update: Worse than I expected [Re: yeti]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I haven't bought a converter to even try. We got only 1 fuzzy analog signal before the conversion (we have cable) and I am sure that there is no digital signal. We live in the suburbs, a bit far from the xmitters, at the bottom of a ridge line with lots of tall trees around. We can't "see" a satellite to go that route, and digital cell phone is intermittent. I think we are in one of the "dead zones" they talk about on TV.

I guess the conversion will be a windfall for the cable providers.

#174898 - 06/16/09 12:11 PM Re: DTV Update: Worse than I expected [Re: bws48]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: bws48
I guess the conversion will be a windfall for the cable providers.

and the tv set manufacturers.

#174907 - 06/16/09 04:22 PM Re: DTV Update: Worse than I expected [Re: bsmith]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
It sure sounds like a lot of people aren't scanning for the digital channels to me.

The new tv's need to have the digital channels entered into them to work properly, you may have to scan for existing channels several times in order to get them to work.

All of the descriptions I'm reading here are very reminiscent of what my new HD digital tv was doing before I scanned for the channels. After reading the manual and actually doing the scan, like magic I now get more channels than I even want.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#174914 - 06/16/09 07:15 PM Re: DTV Update: Worse than I expected [Re: JohnE]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JohnE
It sure sounds like a lot of people aren't scanning for the digital channels to me.

The new tv's need to have the digital channels entered into them to work properly, you may have to scan for existing channels several times in order to get them to work.

All of the descriptions I'm reading here are very reminiscent of what my new HD digital tv was doing before I scanned for the channels. After reading the manual and actually doing the scan, like magic I now get more channels than I even want.

Please. I know that a rescan is needed. I understand that the bandplan shifted channels and frequencies to and from VHF-lo and VHF-hi and UHF bands. I understand that the signals have different propagation patterns. I also understand that VHF-lo is a bad band for the ATSC signal, and that they also cut back the ERP of many transmitters from 100KW and more to under 50KW because they expected to be able to save power costs.

I also know what a decent antenna looks and works like - I've built more than a few myself.

This was nothing less than bad engineering, bad politics and bad economics for everyone who isn't in the business of selling content and hardware.

Imagine we did the same thing for telephone service. Would it be acceptable for 5% of the people who don't have a digital telephone to lose their phone service after a cutover?

#174915 - 06/16/09 07:26 PM Re: DTV Update: Worse than I expected [Re: bws48]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Hi all,

Sounds like my experience is unusual. Before DTV our reception stunk on the 3-4 channels we could sort of get. Lots of snow, wavy lines and double/triple images (yeah, I know it is a multi-path problem). We did cable but hated paying for it since we only wanted the local channels. DTV comes along and the cheap little converter boxes pull in awesome pictures and sound on 6 channels. I add a $20 in-line amp to the antenna and now I have 10-12 channels available. The last couple do drop out during really heavy rain but I can live with that since I shouldn't be getting them without trading up to a much better antenna.

Same basic story with my dad who lives about 2 hrs away. Only difference is that we had to get him a new omni-direction amplified antenna ($50?) for his roof since his "local" stations are located all around him.

- Eric

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.