Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#174453 - 06/06/09 06:32 PM TV change-over
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

analog to digital...Happening June 12th in the US.
lots more info

#174556 - 06/08/09 08:14 PM Re: TV change-over [Re: TeacherRO]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
And we were on this subject a LONG time ago...folks here are Equipped for it!

I think that folks - like me - who are being blacked out by the digital cutover are simply going to turn the darn things off.

After considerable effort to get a TV tuner USB device to get a decent signal for occasional live TV on my computer, I gave up.

We haven't owned an actual TV for 10 years anyway, so I'm not really missing anything. I just with I hadn't wasted all that money on the antenna and coax trying to get the DTV signals.

Americans spend THOUSANDS of hours a year in front of the TV. In the time it takes to watch an episode of Lost, I can weed the garden or split some logs or read a story to my kids or do the dishes or feed and water the chickens or just sit and look at the trees. I like my video media - we use Hulu.com quite a bit, and I use iTunes now and then to buy a TV show or two. But to have this thing that just is constantly flowing new useless crap into your head all the time? I'll pass.

#174557 - 06/08/09 08:35 PM Re: TV change-over [Re: MartinFocazio]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Americans spend THOUSANDS of hours a year in front of the TV. In the time it takes to watch an episode of Lost, I can weed the garden or split some logs or read a story to my kids or do the dishes or feed and water the chickens or just sit and look at the trees. I like my video media - we use Hulu.com quite a bit, and I use iTunes now and then to buy a TV show or two. But to have this thing that just is constantly flowing new useless crap into your head all the time? I'll pass.

Amen to that, though I will miss the knot tying practice that came with being perched in front of the idiot box. Just have to find another passive mindless activity to substitute for it (the television watching, not the knot practice).

#174660 - 06/10/09 06:58 PM Re: TV change-over [Re: yelp]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: yelp

Amen to that, though I will miss the knot tying practice that came with being perched in front of the idiot box. Just have to find another passive mindless activity to substitute for it (the television watching, not the knot practice).

Why?

Why be passive and mindless?

You'll be dead one day, maybe sooner, maybe later, but this is all we're gonna get, everyone you know someday will die, so why waste any of it?

I'll jump off my soap box here in a moment, but you really should read this article:

http://www.shirky.com/herecomeseverybody/2008/04/looking-for-the-mouse.html

Excerpt:

"If I had to pick the critical technology for the 20th century, the bit of social lubricant without which the wheels would've come off the whole enterprise, I'd say it was the sitcom. Starting with the Second World War a whole series of things happened--rising GDP per capita, rising educational attainment, rising life expectancy and, critically, a rising number of people who were working five-day work weeks. For the first time, society forced onto an enormous number of its citizens the requirement to manage something they had never had to manage before--free time.

And what did we do with that free time? Well, mostly we spent it watching TV.

We did that for decades. We watched I Love Lucy. We watched Gilligan's Island. We watch Malcolm in the Middle. We watch Desperate Housewives. Desperate Housewives essentially functioned as a kind of cognitive heat sink, dissipating thinking that might otherwise have built up and caused society to overheat.

And it's only now, as we're waking up from that collective bender, that we're starting to see the cognitive surplus as an asset rather than as a crisis. We're seeing things being designed to take advantage of that surplus, to deploy it in ways more engaging than just having a TV in everybody's basement.

This hit me in a conversation I had about two months ago. As Jen said in the introduction, I've finished a book called Here Comes Everybody, which has recently come out, and this recognition came out of a conversation I had about the book. I was being interviewed by a TV producer to see whether I should be on their show, and she asked me, "What are you seeing out there that's interesting?"

I started telling her about the Wikipedia article on Pluto. You may remember that Pluto got kicked out of the planet club a couple of years ago, so all of a sudden there was all of this activity on Wikipedia. The talk pages light up, people are editing the article like mad, and the whole community is in an ruckus--"How should we characterize this change in Pluto's status?" And a little bit at a time they move the article--fighting offstage all the while--from, "Pluto is the ninth planet," to "Pluto is an odd-shaped rock with an odd-shaped orbit at the edge of the solar system."

So I tell her all this stuff, and I think, "Okay, we're going to have a conversation about authority or social construction or whatever." That wasn't her question. She heard this story and she shook her head and said, "Where do people find the time?" That was her question. And I just kind of snapped. And I said, "No one who works in TV gets to ask that question. You know where the time comes from. It comes from the cognitive surplus you've been masking for 50 years.""

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.