Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#171643 - 04/19/09 07:56 PM Sigh!!! Snow again
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, my buddies in Florida got to deal with yet another tornado warning last week. I gotta say I certainly don't miss those lousy thunderstorms.

So we got pasted with a spring snow storm here in Denver. Dropped about a foot on us. Not quite the whopper everyone predicted, and today it is a balmy mid 50's and it is all melting away. I decided to roast a 23 lb turkey yesterday while it was snowing potato chip sized flakes. Man, it felt like Thanksgiving up at the cabin. Tossed a bunch of stale bread and chips out the back for the birds and the squirrels. By the evening the snow had turned to rain, then quit altogether. We ended up with some slop this morning, but it was a beautiful Colorado sunrise looking out to the mountains and the striking blue sky.

So I reckon they can keep their 80 degree days and lightning plagued evenings out there in the sunshine state. We'll be in the 70s again by Tuesday, and I just bought a fresh bunch of USA grown tangelos and oranges at 30 cents a piece. They all look beautiful and perfectly ripened, thanks Izzy. It's great sitting on a bench in the park surrounded by snow banks munching on peanut butter and jelly cookies and a quartered orange.

#171650 - 04/19/09 09:03 PM Re: Sigh!!! Snow again [Re: benjammin]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Ben just FWIW My son and I will be in Denver tomorrow around 9:00a (we have a 90 min layover) on our way to Albuquerque to pick up a bus for my company.

Mike

#171660 - 04/19/09 09:54 PM Re: Sigh!!! Snow again [Re: kd7fqd]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Dang Mike, mondays suck for me at work. Ever been to Denver before? 90 minutes isn't much time to do anything because the airport is out in the middle of nothing. What airline are you flying in on?

#171665 - 04/19/09 10:34 PM Re: Sigh!!! Snow again [Re: benjammin]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I chatted with my parents (they live on the East Coast of Canada) this morning and they got more of the finest winter weather one could ask for!

In the Caymans, we had a mild weekend with nothing happening other then some clouds and lots of sun. It made it up to the 80's and would have been nice beach weather... but we spend it inside enjoying some peace when the boys fell asleep for 4 hours strait.

#171675 - 04/20/09 01:41 AM Re: Sigh!!! Snow again [Re: ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

What you left out is the "Poop Forecast" is 110% for you, New Dad. Lol.

You have no idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

#171677 - 04/20/09 02:12 AM Re: Sigh!!! Snow again [Re: benjammin]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Well, my buddies in Florida got to deal with yet another tornado warning last week. I gotta say I certainly don't miss those lousy thunderstorms.

I always think of the thunderstorms as more of a feature than a design flaw. I love the feel of the front coming through. Watching the gray clouds coming, feeling the pressure change, and the wind freshen. Feeling the moisture, then the first huge drops of rain and then in a couple of minutes, if you haven't made it to shelter, the line of rain arrives in earnest. Rain so thick you can't see ten feet.

I love laying back with a close friend and listening to the storm. The whine and whistle of the wind, lashings and rattle of the rain, and bluster of the lightning and thunder as the lines of thunderstorms approach and overtake us, and then, after a time, moving off. Leaving the air tingling and alive, everything washed and clean.

Thunderstorms are, IMO, vastly superior to snow and ice. Ice that locks the world away and makes the roads and sidewalks into crippling and lethal skating rinks. Snow that is miserably in its useless cold and sodden wetness. That seeps into the bones and the spirit, wet, smothering, and in a few days, becomes clots of ice in soiled shades of brown and gray.

With thunderstorms they come and go. Good or bad it is over in an hour or two. Often just a few minutes. With snow and ice it is months of miserable cold, and weeks of ice that wears you down. After a few weeks of gray miserable weather felonious assaults, domestic violence, and suicides go up.

Thunderstorms are like drive-by shootings. Mostly it is a big noise and you brush yourself off. Winter with snow and ice is like trench warfare. Knee-deep in mud you hunker down and dread having to raise your head up for fear of being assaulted by the sleet and wind. All you can do is hunker down in your bunker and hope the weather changes before you give up and eat your gun.

Tornadoes are indiscriminate. North or South. East or West. just about everywhere you get strong fronts and lateral shearing winds you get them. You hang tough, as best you can, and it either ruins your day or it doesn't.

#171681 - 04/20/09 03:03 AM Re: Sigh!!! Snow again [Re: Art_in_FL]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Spring has been late in coming here in Northeastern Ontario. I still have about 2 feet of snow on my lawn and the big lakes will be froze-up tight for at least a couple more weeks. I am really sick of it.

Mike

#171684 - 04/20/09 03:58 AM Re: Sigh!!! Snow again [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Here in Alaska, it's "spring" with mud coming up everywhere as the snow slowly melts for an hour or too daily before freezing back up.

Still 4 feet of snow around some of the trees.

But lovely weather, crystal blue skies, bright sun til 10pm, weather around 20 degrees.

the only down side is I already had spring starting in Detroit, and had to be thrown back into "winter!"

#171685 - 04/20/09 04:36 AM Re: Sigh!!! Snow again [Re: benjammin]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Sunny and warm today with plenty of yum tomorrow.

Lee
Warm next door in Utah
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#171690 - 04/20/09 05:52 AM Re: Sigh!!! Snow again [Re: leemann]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Benjamin,

My sister lives in Genessee and she said she was snowed in with no power. Stay warm.

Today was beautiful here in Hawaii! It was sunny with a nice breeze. It was a perfect day weather-wise as our extended families went to visit my dad's grave. After, I sat outside in the shade with the breeze with a cool drink and grilled up a mess of ribs and kalua chicken for the family dinner.

If it wasn't for the fact that my wife and kids all have colds, it would have been pretty perfect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.