Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#170481 - 04/02/09 01:20 AM Zombie Squad
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Hello!

I was browsing around and came across a Zombie Squad video. I've known about them for awhile and know they do provide good emergency preparedness information. What I want to know is do they teach some things that are TEOTWAWKI? Are they a respected organization in the areas they are currently in? Is anyone here a member?

I'd like to know a little more about the organization as a whole before I go and try to start a chapter. I do realize they do community service, etc, but I'm more interested in any interaction they may have with local emergency management.

#170483 - 04/02/09 01:45 AM Re: Zombie Squad [Re: ki4buc]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I visited, and was not impressed.
Your mileage may vary.

There are members here that I respect who post there too.

#170487 - 04/02/09 03:45 AM Re: Zombie Squad [Re: ki4buc]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
A good group, bigger and honestly a bit more active as a group than ETS is as a result. Not as refined, and the fringe is a little more likely to stumble in, but it is very well moderated. Yes, there are some raging egos, and sometimes people have blowouts over quite literally NOTHING, and people have lost a lot of my respect for it, but there are a lot of people who take preparedness very, very seriously and are very good there. The big things to keep in mind is (a) Zombie Squad isn't very subtle, and (b) if you take the forum, the topic or yourself too seriously, you won't enjoy it. And if someone says "no, dummy, it wont' work, do it this way", it isn't personal.

There are a lot of cross posters. I'm not sure if this is the best way to describe the difference, so maybe others can help. *pokes Blast, JIM, Airballrad and a few others* I would say it is the difference between a classy, high end jazz club with 120 year old scotch and 80 year old wine, and a bar where there is sawdust on the floor, a cage around the stage and bouncer who looks like an extra out of Lord of the Rings. But both will toss you just as fast for talking religion, politics or paranoia. I've also watched both places mourn leaders, and take on emergencies. I'd like to think I have friends in both places, not just the cross posters, and I've got a as much respect in both as I have for both forums and their mods.

They are very similar, and very complimentary, even if ZS isn't always quite so professional. Another way of thinking of it is, ETS is what ZS will be when it finishes growing up. *laughs* Come on over, set up an account, and introduce yourself. Shoot PMs to a few people if you will, so the cross posters will know you are there. And just watch us.

I hope this helps. It is late, and I'm probably rambling.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#170491 - 04/02/09 02:18 PM Re: Zombie Squad [Re: NightHiker]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I was more interested in the actual "physical" chapters. People apparently get together and do public service.

I wonder, would that be something ETS would think about doing in the future? Branch out from the forums and become more active in the community?

#170492 - 04/02/09 02:36 PM Re: Zombie Squad [Re: ironraven]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I would say it is the difference between a classy, high end jazz club with 120 year old scotch and 80 year old wine, and a bar where there is sawdust on the floor, a cage around the stage and bouncer who looks like an extra out of Lord of the Rings.

+1 LOL!

I enjoy Zombie Squad a lot. It's not a place for people who are easily offended, but there are a surprising number of really smart people there. TEOTWAWKI conversations are welcomed and encouraged. As with ETS, talk of religion, politics, and any illegal activites (homemade explosives, fullauto modification to guns, distilling alcohol, etc...) are very strictly forbidden. Also, no one under 18 is allowed. I've already gone camping with one great guy I've met on ZS.

Basically, I read ETS for info on making it back home from a walk in the woods. I read Zombie Squad to learn how to fortify my neighborhood against Neo-mongol hordes.

Come on over, we won't eat your brain... grin

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#170493 - 04/02/09 02:38 PM Re: Zombie Squad [Re: ki4buc]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I was more interested in the actual "physical" chapters. People apparently get together and do public service.

I wonder, would that be something ETS would think about doing in the future? Branch out from the forums and become more active in the community?

Having tried to get Houston area ETS members together on a number of occasions I have to say there is something rather antisocial about the average ETS member...unless you offer them beer and fried pickles.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#170497 - 04/02/09 04:46 PM Re: Zombie Squad [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree Blast. It's everybody's "Speed of Life" that creates scheduling problems. The beer and pickles at Hydes Cafe in Spring, Tx is the proper "bait" required to make it happen.

#170505 - 04/02/09 06:24 PM Re: Zombie Squad [Re: wildman800]
MedB Offline

Fried pickles?

I am all for regional food. In fact, sampling them is one of my favorite things to do while travelling for business/pleasure. But fried pickles... that's just... wrong. -chuckle-

#170512 - 04/02/09 07:42 PM Re: Zombie Squad [Re: NightHiker]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Fried Dill Pickles "sound" thoroughly disgusting, I agree!!

But they taste every bit as good as the sound of it is bad, to the mind.

Hyde Cafe's/Spring, Tx, slice their pickles lengthwise before battering, this is definitely better than battering the crossway sliced hamburger dills that most places provide.

Don't forget the salt lightly sprinkled over the pickles, or the beer to wash it all down with!!!

Batter fried Zuchini and fried green tomatoes will also make you bring back things that you hadn't even thought of stealing yet!

#170516 - 04/02/09 08:33 PM Re: Zombie Squad [Re: ki4buc]
Pansy Offline
Stranger

Loc: Missouri
I am more or less a lurker at both sites. I think Ironraven summed it up perfectly, especially this: "Not as refined, and the fringe is a little more likely to stumble in...". Zombie Squad is WAY more likely to attract the ,<censored> and its posters are not generally as respectful as ETS. If you have questions about ZS Chapters I would shoot an e-mail to one of the mods over at ZS, the guy in charge is named Kyle, though they are all pretty helpful.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (04/17/09 03:48 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.