Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#171292 - 04/14/09 03:44 PM New Purchase (Best gift I ever gave!)
MedB Offline

My son's birthday was this week and I'm so excited I just had to share this with the forum...

Some recent threads here got me thinking about my (misspent) youth and some of the activities we enjoyed back then. In particular, the hours of fun that came with owning a simple slingshot. So after some serious thought I set about to research what was available today and if it might be a good gift for my son.

Well it turns out that Trumark is still in business and going strong. For those of you from my era might remember, these are the folks that put wrist-brace slingshots on the map. I checked the other makers but kept coming back to this one and finally ordered it...

Trumark FS-1 at SlingshotsUSA

But as you might imagine, I got so caught up in the idea of sharing a part of my past with my son (and daughter) that I ordered two. Along with safety glasses, ammo, etc.

Fast forward several days and the package arrives. I've been teasing my son and giving hints all week. He finally tears into it and his eyes light up. I was half worried that in a day of video games and iPods that a lowly slingshot will not have much appeal to him. Boy was I wrong!

The entire family had the obligatory discussions around safety, rules, responsibility, etc. But then we spent some of the best quality time we have ever had together... for the next three hours.

We shot, laughed, shot, competed, shot, talked, shot some more. And wouldn't you know it, the little $#^@ outshoots me and knocks down more plastic bottles! -huge smile- We had gone to a place where folks walk past and the smiles of rememberance and admiration on parents and grandparents faces was something to behold.

At one point during all this he turns to me and says "Dad, this is way better than any video game" The look in his eyes about choked me up. And I suppose I should mention how he gets out of bed later that night, comes upstairs and hugs me and says thanks. Then without another word plods back to his bed.

Today my daughter is home too and we are already talking about building a simple plywood backstop/catch. She can't wait to try them out!

The bottom line? Your mileage may vary, but this has to go down in my history as the best $10.95 I've ever spent!

The lowly slingshot... enjoy the simple gifts life offers,

#171293 - 04/14/09 03:48 PM Re: New Purchase (Best gift I ever gave!) [Re: MedB]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Excellent job, dad!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#171294 - 04/14/09 03:49 PM Re: New Purchase (Best gift I ever gave!) [Re: MedB]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, brings back the memories. Good job.

#171299 - 04/14/09 04:25 PM Re: New Purchase (Best gift I ever gave!) [Re: MedB]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
The best things in life do not have to cost a fortune and giving yourself is the very best gift anyone can give. Being together as a family and having fun is what it is all about. Good job!

Pete

#171302 - 04/14/09 04:41 PM Re: New Purchase (Best gift I ever gave!) [Re: paramedicpete]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I had one as a kid. I helped keep the crows out of the corn with it.
Great gift MedB!

#171304 - 04/14/09 04:44 PM Re: New Purchase (Best gift I ever gave!) [Re: MedB]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Nice Job MedB!

I was slingshot crazy as a kid and introduced my son to one at about age 10 with similar results. Timeless

Mike

P.S. After many many attempts I even managed to get a grouse with my wrist-rocket while moose hunting about 10 years ago, it tasted extra good.

#171305 - 04/14/09 04:50 PM Re: New Purchase (Best gift I ever gave!) [Re: SwampDonkey]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have a lifelong friend in England.

We met when his dad was working in California for a year and he

attended my Anglican school. We had slingshots and had great fun.

he also got a degree in archaeology, only he is one of those

guys you see building medieval seige machines and lobbing

boulders across the countryside or testing greatbows against

breastplate. I am sooooo jealous.

#171306 - 04/14/09 04:54 PM Re: New Purchase (Best gift I ever gave!) [Re: Blast]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
That was great. I hope to be able to share a similiar memory with my son when he is of age. Just have to get it past my over paranoid wife. She isn't a fan of anything that shoots.

#171318 - 04/14/09 05:57 PM Re: New Purchase (Best gift I ever gave!) [Re: Mike_H]
MedB Offline

Thanks, all.

I hear you, Mike. I faced the very same challenge. It's one of the reasons it took me so long to do this. Agree with her that it's not a toy, and requires maturity and supervision. But that it will help teach valuable lessons and share part of your past with a new generation. Good luck.

#171319 - 04/14/09 06:05 PM Re: New Purchase (Best gift I ever gave!) [Re: MedB]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Use of slingshots is very common at Cub Scout day camps. They'll typically set of a shooting range with all sorts of stuff to plink at, and then use dog kibble (can't remember which brands are nice and round) as ammunition. The idea is that they can leave it on the ground outdoors and the environment is unharmed beyond the temporarily fat stomachs of a few happy racoons.

Its a great way to start young folks learning the rules of firearm safety without taking someones head off.

You should see what some unaware 11-13 year olds do with 22's at summer camp. The shooting range directors take the safety aspects veeeeery seriously and I've seen 11-year old boys kicked out of the area for the week in tears.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.