Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#171156 - 04/12/09 03:58 AM Simple Alcohol Stove Design
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi,

I am in the early planning stages of developing a fall hiking weekend for 10 teenagers in our local youth group. These kids have had at least 3 years of outdoor experience in our program, but I want this weekend to challange them into thinking for themselves and to work as a team in small group.

The trip will involve field navigation through an unfamiliar area and the 2 - 3 person teams will have to construct/use some of their own equipment.

I will provide the teams with the designs and materials to make 3 types of alcohol stoves. The simple Open Flame Type , a simple Pressurized Jet Type , and a more complex Pressurized Jet type of alcohol stove. All of these models are quick to construct and involve a minimum of steps and equipment. I found them all that the Zen Backpacking Stove site which provided excellent information.

I have never constructed or tested alcohol stoves before but know there are many on this forum that have, so if you have a favourite design, that is not too hard to build, please share it with me.

The kids will also be making their own version of a Tarp Tent for use on the trip, but I will make those designs the topic of another post.

Thanks, Mike

#171159 - 04/12/09 06:25 AM Re: Simple Alcohol Stove Design [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Mike, with the ones where you are fitting the bottoms of two pop cans together, that is the hardest part of the build.
The first photon stove I got to fit together took me about 20 cans.
When they tell you to save a full can to swage the one can bottom open a bit more before trying to assemble them it is good advice.

Here is a site more dedicated to backpacking stoveheads.
http://www.bplite.com/index.php

#171162 - 04/12/09 02:53 PM Re: Simple Alcohol Stove Design [Re: scafool]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the link Scafool, lots of good stove ideas on that site.

Mike

#171164 - 04/12/09 03:01 PM Re: Simple Alcohol Stove Design [Re: SwampDonkey]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
This also sounds like just the excuse to enjoy your favorite beverage of choice (aluminum can contained of course). Just tell everyone you are preparing supplies for the next Youth Group stove building project....

Edited by Desperado (04/12/09 03:03 PM)
Edit Reason: I mentally merged two posts...

RIP OBG

#171181 - 04/12/09 08:12 PM Re: Simple Alcohol Stove Design [Re: Desperado]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Another super easy stove to make is the supercat stove. This was easy to make (I figured it out), and, with the exception of the windscreen, they likely have all the stuff for making this lying around. In all seriousness, it took me about 15 minutes to make. And, it worked adequately the first time I used it. I since modified it a little (too much space within the windscreen), and have yet to test it. The first attempt got the water hot, but not boiling. My next attempt I hope to get it to a rolling boil.
This is my normal daypack stove: Supercat stove, made out of a cat food can, windscreen made out of aluminum flashing, with two wingnuts to hold it together, 2 aluminum stakes that I use for the stove stand, an empty water bottle for fuel, and an elastic band to hold it all together. It slides into one of my side pockets on my pack, and counterbalances against my water bottle on the other side. Simple to make, efficient once you get it tuned in, and made with common materials. Cant really get any better than that!

#171186 - 04/12/09 10:09 PM Re: Simple Alcohol Stove Design [Re: ]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Denatured alcohol can be found in the paint dept of your local wally world. 91% alcohol works OK, but is very sooty. yellow HEET works the best; my local wallyworld just had a sale on those too...like a 6pack for $5 or so..may $6. Yellow HEET would be my first choice, then denatured alcohol, with the 91% isopropyl alcohol being last. It doesnt burn as hot, and, again, is sooty, because of its water content.

#171196 - 04/13/09 03:27 AM Re: Simple Alcohol Stove Design [Re: oldsoldier]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
It may be anathema to you if you want your kids to build their own alcohol stoves, but my favorite is the White Box stove, ready built for $20 by Bill in Montana. I have used my own built alcohol stoves but after using the WB I realized what a piker I am when it came to stove construction. One part of Zen is realizing when you are in the presence of a master, which is how I felt when I first saw the white box - simple, great design. Yellow Heet or regular denatured alcohol both work great for fuel, with a long burn time. Make sure the kids use a light weight water container for boiling, most alcohol stoves don't burn terribly long and you won't want to spend alot of time heating up metal instead of water.

In the end all the designs should work fine, and the kids should have some fun building their own.

#171197 - 04/13/09 03:34 AM Re: Simple Alcohol Stove Design [Re: oldsoldier]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Oldsoldier,

Thanks for the link to the SuperCat Stove, I think that is the easiest pressurized version I have seen yet. We will test that model for sure.

I decided to drive to town today to pick-up some alcohol stove fuel and try building some of these stove models. On arrival at the vacant parking lots I remembered it was Easter Sunday and all the stores were closed, so tinkering will have to wait till tomorrow.

Mike

#171198 - 04/13/09 03:39 AM Re: Simple Alcohol Stove Design [Re: Lono]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Lono,

Thanks for the tip on using lightweight cookware, the SS pots we normally use on the Coleman stove are quite heavy and probably not the best to use on an alcohol stove.

In researching stoves I saw a lot of large Heineken cans used as lightweight pots, seems like a good excuse for me to drink a few beers.

Mike

#171209 - 04/13/09 02:23 PM Re: Simple Alcohol Stove Design [Re: SwampDonkey]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Oh, one other thing; get some stove black (high heat spray paint-at LEAST 1200 degrees) and paint the bottom of your container. It helps with the heat transfer. With alcohol stoves, every little bit counts!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 610 Guests and 89 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.