Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#168984 - 03/09/09 06:25 PM Computers (adult language warning!)
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
If you don't like profanity, don't read on.
If you can take it, and hate fixing computers...

http://19k.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-hate-your-computer-too.html

#168985 - 03/09/09 06:42 PM Re: Computers (adult language warning!) [Re: MartinFocazio]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado

//applause!

Mind if I hang this up in the office?

#168987 - 03/09/09 06:53 PM Re: Computers (adult language warning!) [Re: yelp]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

carve it in bronze, so you can whack them with it.

#168988 - 03/09/09 07:37 PM Re: Computers (adult language warning!) [Re: MartinFocazio]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
and let's not forget, computers were meant to make our lives easier...

#168989 - 03/09/09 07:43 PM Re: Computers (adult language warning!) [Re: benjammin]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
yeah right...
I really think the so called "paperless" office and computers have generated more paper and headaches then just doing it on paper.

#168990 - 03/09/09 08:15 PM Re: Computers (adult language warning!) [Re: katarin]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i'm also starting to hate computers. When i was working at the FD, we had the IT department to fix computer problems. Now i'm working for a IT business, which makes virtual training systems for the emergency services. Part of mine job is cleaning, installing and reinstalling pc's and laptops other people screwed up. And i'm not even a IT guy! Those computers run the risk of getting tossed out of the window...

#168991 - 03/09/09 08:16 PM Re: Computers (adult language warning!) [Re: katarin]
Xterior Offline

Best article I've read in times.

Wish I could do it, but since it's my job to fix those machines......

#168992 - 03/09/09 08:32 PM Re: Computers (adult language warning!) [Re: Xterior]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
A good read, thanks.

I don't hate computers, but I do find Microsoft loathsome. My next computer will be an Apple.

Computers are just one of many modern irritants. The only technological proficiency I needed growing up was the ability to turn on a transister radio and change television channels with a dial to one of five channels (ABC-NBC-CBS-PBS and the local independent station). And then there was the rotary-dial telephone, which later progressed to push-button.

That was the sum total of our household high-tech back then.

With the clocks "springing" ahead an hour yesterday I had to re-visit how to change the car clock, among many others.

There's a lot more to know these days, and a lot more to break.

#169000 - 03/09/09 10:45 PM Re: Computers (adult language warning!) [Re: Dagny]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

just get linux!!! I used to be an apple fanboy, and still am but I have my ubuntu (actually right now i think it might be kubuntu) machine downstairs and its amazing!!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#169005 - 03/09/09 11:53 PM Re: Computers (adult language warning!) [Re: climberslacker]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
just get linux!!! I used to be an apple fanboy, and still am but I have my ubuntu (actually right now i think it might be kubuntu) machine downstairs and its amazing!!

I've been using Ubuntu on my home desktop/spare system since version 6.x, currently running 8.10. I've used various flavors of Debian, and I have an eeePC running an Xandros variant with KDE. I use an iMac on my desk at work, I carry either a Macbook pro or a Fujitsu Lifebook with Win XP on it. My family uses mostly Mac, but when I get an old X86 machine I usually Ubuntu-ize it. I also have, at work, a very very hyped-up Vista machine for running a complex statistical analysis and visualization system.

You could say I'm platform agnostic. However, I can assure you that Ubuntu is still at least 5 years away from being user-resistant, and might never be ready for mere mortals. Sure, the applications all work well enough, but USB device support is just plain miserable, printing is spotty, fonts are atrocious and don't even get me started about removable media, or more to the point, the entire presentation method of the user's file system space. Say what you will about windows and mac, they have both developed stable metaphors for storage devices, whether local, networked or removable and they have far fewer of the ENDLESS issues with permissions I run into on any and all *nix derived systems.

So, yeah, Ubuntu is a fine option, and if you're willing to put in a month or so to work with it day to day, you really appreciate it, and like I said, I use it for real-live office work when I'm in my home office, so it works for me. I'd NEVER give an Ubuntu system to a novice - never. The support calls would be overwhelming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 176 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
52 minutes 5 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.