The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#166436 - 02/04/09 08:26 PM Finger Lakes Rendezvous
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State

Note:We had a number of ETS'ers there last year, and they are returning.

Finger Lakes Rendezvous September
(formerly PWYP-North)
Open to all, kids and dogs are welcome.

Plan on a Trade Blanket Saturday afternoon. We will do a group potluck dinner Friday and Saturday evening and a daily evening campfire, complete with tall tales and snacks to share. We will be enjoying a just after the 1st quarter moon(10/14) and as in years past, hopefully enjoy the cries on a number of Coyotes.

There are several nice hiking trails in the immediate area, some fantastic waterfall for those who want to check them out.

Plan on a number of knives and some assorted camping gear to be available for the group to play with.

Finger Lakes National Forest, Hector NY
I've reserved the group campsite for Wednesday, September 23 through Sunday Sunday September 27. This should be in the heart of the fall foliage season.

»Finger Lakes National Forest«
The Finger Lakes National Forest encompasses 16,118 acres, nestled between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State. The Forest has over 30 miles of interconnecting trails that traverse gorges, ravines, pastures, and woodlands.

1700+ ft Elevation.

The Finger Lakes National Forest District Headquarters is located at:

5218 State Route 414
Hector, NY 14841
(607) 546-4470

Contact me if you need more specific directions.

A couple of ways in....
DIRECTIONS
From the South, take State Route 17 to exit 52 (Watkins Glen exit/State Route 14 North). In Watkins Glen, turn right on State Route 414 North.
At the Fourth St. intersection go approx. 9 miles north, to the Hector Ranger Station. ½ mile past the Ranger Station turn right, Schuyler County Route 2. Go 4.4 miles east past County Route 4 to the “Tee" intersection. Turn left onto Potomac Rd and look for the signs for the Potomac Group
Campground.

From the North, take I-90 to exit 41 (State
Route 414 south to Hector, NY). The second asphalt road on the left past Wickham’s Plaza
(1/2 mile) is County Route 2. Turn left and go 4.4 miles east past County Route 4 to the “Tee" intersection. Turn left onto Potomac
Road and look for the signs for the Potomac Group Campground.

We will be in NY State wine country, so we should have wine on the menu, feel free to bring what you want.

The well pump at the site is DOA, so all water needs to be brought in. It's about a 200 yard walk to the campsite/cook shelter from the car park, along a well maintained but gated forest road. The cook shelter will be more than large enough to shelter us from foul weather, and there is a large forest service grill at the camping area. I'll have plenty of charcoal for group use.
I don't drink coffee, nor do I have a coffee pot, so hopefully someone will bring 1 or 2 for group use.

I will have a 4 wheel cart for the group to use to ferry gear in and out of the campsite.

Campsites can be woods or meadow sites, camping at the Potomac Group Campground is camp where you want as long as it is off the trails. There are two well maintained forest service deluxe toilets on-site.

Temps, Evening in the 30's are possible as are days in the 70's.

New York State DOES NOT honor any other state handgun carry permits, nor does it allow handgun possession. Unless you have a NY carry permit, or are current or qualified retired law enforcement, you are on your own if you bring a handgun into New York State. It's a felony.

Long guns are allowed should you so desire to bring one. There is target shooting in the forest, I am working on a area to shoot. New York State hunting and fishing regulations apply.

The Forest Service has 2 very nice toilets at the campsite.

Please PT or email me sbraider2001@yahoo.com if you are interested in coming.

#166763 - 02/09/09 04:34 PM Re: Finger Lakes Rendezvous [Re: Stu]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
The dates are Wed-Sun, September 23-27, 2009

Edited by SBRaider (02/09/09 04:36 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.