Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#165621 - 01/29/09 05:59 PM I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies...
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
But this is pretty funny.

With all the gloom and doom in the news these days, a little humor is a welcome thing.

#165622 - 01/29/09 06:16 PM Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... [Re: el_diabl0]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Yeah... that ones's been popping up all over the Zombie Squad site. But it's driving the moderators nuts; hacking road signs is illegal (and dangerous) and their forum rules prohibit discussing illegal activity. So they keep closing the threads, and more people (who did not see the previous threads, because they are now closed) keep posting it. grin

#165630 - 01/29/09 07:03 PM Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... [Re: el_diabl0]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats why everyone should password protects their computer BIOS with a strong username and password. Utilities such as ORPCRACK need the boot order to be either a CD-ROM, etc to be setup as the first boot device in the boot order. I had to use ORPCRACK today because someone forgot their Vista Admin Password as someone or something had deleted one of the only Administrator User Profiles on his computer. A registry edit in safe mode was able to get the Admin User profile back again to allow him to login as normal.

#165665 - 01/29/09 11:56 PM Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... [Re: airballrad]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
First rule, you do not talk about Zombie Squad at Equipped.

*laughs* You, me, Blast, at least three more who use different names - how many of us cross posting?

Edited by ironraven (01/29/09 11:59 PM)
Edit Reason: posting was changed to protect those who might be embarrased

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#165689 - 01/30/09 03:11 AM Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Since when have we not been allowed to talk about zombies?

How can we make our ZomOpPreps?

Sue

#165691 - 01/30/09 03:28 AM Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... [Re: Susan]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I think I had zombies once when I was a kid....or maybe it was mumps... Hmmm, I wonder....Oh well.

#165702 - 01/30/09 05:02 AM Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... [Re: scafool]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
I travel by that intersection regularly. The highway department is not being entirely truthful: that's an exposed position with much traffic, even at night. No way did someone spend the time to "hack into the computer" without getting caught.

From memory I don't think there's anything going on there that needs a sign, but it could sure be bad news if the highway guys don't start locking that stuff up.

PS. That intersection isn't on any commute route to the University. Students wanting to show off would have done it elsewhere.

PPS. Wait until the kids start pranking traffic speed and stop light cameras everywhere. That will be an even bigger uproar.

#165715 - 01/30/09 03:21 PM Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

I recall an article from a couple years back on these electronic road signs. In many cases they are not locked, and all you need to do is open the box, type in the new message, and away it goes. So it would be a fairly easy prank to pull off. Although a few more high-profile cases like this and it will be more commmon for them to be locked up, I expect...

#165716 - 01/30/09 03:22 PM Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... [Re: ironraven]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: ironraven
First rule, you do not talk about Zombie Squad at Equipped.

Oops... blush

Although you gotta admit; between the two sites, pretty much all my bases are covered. grin

#165717 - 01/30/09 03:23 PM Re: I know we're not supposed to talk about zombies... [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
No way did someone spend the time to "hack into the computer" without getting caught.

From what I have read, transportation workers rarely even put the control panel for those signs into a locked state to prevent these kinds of changes. Even when the transportation workers do lock the control panel (and I mean “lock” as in via the control panel software), the unlock passcode is probably Sharpied onto the inside of the case cover.

And all it would take is an orange vest and a hard hat and the passing motorists would ignore you.

These roadway sign changes have been a popular subject for Fark.com headlines for a while, from “UFO crossing ahead” posted probably a year ago to this “Zombies in area! Run” sign.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.