Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#164595 - 01/23/09 04:28 AM How fast does the weather change where you are?
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
OK, it seems like too easy of a question.

To give it a bit of flavour I will ask how well are you usually prepared for it when the weather does change suddenly.

To start it off, temperature here dropped more than 40 degrees F. from yesterday, but most folks here are used to it doing stuff like that and have the clothing for it.
Since most of the drop was overnight very few were caught unaware.

#164602 - 01/23/09 05:09 AM Re: How fast does the weather change where you are? [Re: scafool]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
60s during heat of day low 30s at night.
Living in the mountains storms can come in FAST, and you can see them come in too. It can go rain, hail, snow, and in cycles depending on the storm type, wind, etc.

#164605 - 01/23/09 05:49 AM Re: How fast does the weather change where you are? [Re: Todd W]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Minnesota is know for it's changes in weather..i've come out of a movie in the winter to find the weather was much colder.
it was 20 below last week--35 today and down to 8 or so below
tomorrow..in the summer it's the thunderstorms that come up fast.
with the modern weather forecasts what would have been a fast change in the weather--morning to afternoon--is no surprise but
heavy winds over our lakes can come on very quick.out of a nice summer day a calm lake will go to whitecaps in minutes.
Lake Superior is a killer when it come to that.even the cottage country lakes will "stand on end" and drive fisherman to shore.

#164616 - 01/23/09 11:35 AM Re: How fast does the weather change where you are? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
About ten years ago (in February IIRC) Tulsa set a record high in the low eighties during the day & had six or seven inches of snow and slush on the ground that evening. That was some WET, sticky snow. It just covered the front of my Bronco which mandated stops to clear the snow off the headlights every 15 minutes or so.

I stopped to get gas across the street from a local racket club. I was standing there in about six inches of slush with huge, wet snowflakes blowing by sideways. Some poor guy pulled up to the same set of pumps to get gas. He was dressed in exactly what you would expect someone playing tennis in eighty degree weather to be wearing. shocked

He said he had been playing tennis and had stayed for dinner and drinks. When he came out he was greeted with about a -55 degree change in temperature and the lovely snow. All in all it was one of the most impressive displays of four letter vocabulary that I've witnessed.

If any of you are the guy in the white Acura Legend from 61st & Memorial ... Thanks for the laugh! grin

#164621 - 01/23/09 12:13 PM Re: How fast does the weather change where you are? [Re: 7point82]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
All my life, in Southern Illinois we have had a joke, that if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes! laugh

#164623 - 01/23/09 12:28 PM Re: How fast does the weather change where you are? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
All my life, in Southern Illinois we have had a joke, that if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes! laugh

Which was originally a quote from Samuel Clemins (aka Mark Twain) about the weather in NYC

No HUGE temp swings and the like, but it'll go from clear and warm, to raining, to clear and cold, to hot, to whatever, all seemingly in minutes - heck, if you're walking around town, you can be on one corner, and it's warm and calm, next corner, it's windy, cold, and damp
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#164647 - 01/23/09 03:12 PM Re: How fast does the weather change where you are? [Re: KG2V]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Which was originally a quote from Samuel Clemins (aka Mark Twain) about the weather in NYC

Yeah... the same is often said of the weather in Maryland. Between stuff coming over the mountains, and stuff coming up the bay, things can change quickly. Even in the summer I will tend to have a system jacket with fleece liner and nylon shell in the trunk. It can be rain gear, wind breaker, light warm jacket, or full winter coat, depending on what comes down the pike...

Edited by airballrad (01/23/09 03:12 PM)
Edit Reason: Speeling

#164649 - 01/23/09 03:18 PM Re: How fast does the weather change where you are [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
DFW metroplex weather:

Yesterday's high temp 80 degF
Today's projected high temp 80 degF
Tomorrow's projected high 38 degF with high winds.

Please make up my mind mother nature

RIP OBG

#164663 - 01/23/09 04:01 PM Re: How fast does the weather change where you are [Re: Desperado]
MrEarp Offline
Stranger

Loc: Grand Rapids, MI
I'm in Michigan.. We've gone from a Tornado Watch to a Winter Storm Warning in 24 hours. smile Its great!

#164664 - 01/23/09 04:05 PM Re: How fast does the weather change where you are [Re: MrEarp]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Ok, it can change rather quickly.

Case in point... I'm heading from the Philly are to a spot just 2 hours away. The weather difference can easily be 10 degrees cooler in the other spot.

The weather on one side of the tunnel can often be quite different from the other. I can't begin to count how many times it would be raining on one side and sunny on the other. Snow on one, fog on the other... Etc...

Then, in the woods at the northern spot, a storm can blow through quite quickly and drop the temps down 20-30 degrees, then add in the wind chill.

Weather: You must respect it and be prepared for just about anything. Certainly helps to at least look at the weather trends and forecast before leaving home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.