Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#163357 - 01/16/09 01:30 AM Which boots have the grippiest soles.
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
It is almost time for me to buy new boots.
I have become seriously disappointed in the soles available.
New Vibram wears longer because it is much harder than it used to be, but it sacrifices grip for resistance to wear.

Natural rubber and crepe rubber give excellent grip but wear out and get eaten up by oil too fast.
Felt soles and caulked soles are great for what they are meant for but are not what I need.

Has anybody found anything with really good grip even on wet steel that wears well?

#163358 - 01/16/09 01:37 AM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: scafool]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Personally, I wear Red Wing brand boots. I really don't remember the outsole, but I think Vibram. I do know they make an awesome work boot, but not too much for warm work boots. If you tried to wear my Red Wings in a Canadian winter, longevity of the sole would be your least concern.

You might look into the thread about Whites Boots, from last week I think.

They had insulated work boots, and seems the folks that commented liked them.

RIP OBG

#163369 - 01/16/09 02:24 AM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: Desperado]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
It's probably not the boot you're looking for, but the sole, as many high quality boots can be re-soled. A few years back I hit up a shoe shop, and the owner showed me about a dozen different Vibram sole options available.

I like Wolverines and Chippewa's personally. The wolverines have their own soles, but the Chip's used Vibram. After a few years I resoled the Wolves with Vibram, but they were a bit softer than those on the Chip's.

#163376 - 01/16/09 02:59 AM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: MDinana]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Yes, that is the problem. I have not found any good soft Vibram with lugs lately.
Redwing has a new type of material on some of their boots but they don't seem to sell it separately for resoling.
I have a pair of their dress shoes with it. Good stuff.
It looks more and more like my next hiking boots might be Redwings.

I am really hoping for more suggestions people might have on ones they found to be good.

#163391 - 01/16/09 04:58 AM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: scafool]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If you want the absolute 'grippiest' soles try rock climbing boots. You can literally friction climb up vertical glass with them as long as you can find firm enough hand holds to keep from 'peeling off' the wall. Such boots are meant only for climbing and are less than useless for hiking or normal use because they very painfully distort and compress the feet.

Except for their virtues keeping people from sliding off cliffs they would be listed as torture devices and banned under international law. They work best when grossly undersized and tied so tight that they qualify as a specialized form of sadomasochism. In the the right size properly tied makes Chinese foot binding seem like a kindness.

That and the rubber used is very soft and thin. After a few hours of use the rubber wears off and the canvas stretches which makes them more comfortable but less useful for climbing.

Boating boots designed for wet decks are good on wet steel but most lack the steel arch support that makes climbing on narrow steel and scaffolding easier on the feet.

Building scaffolding I used USGI jungle boots tied tight. If, when, they glazed over because of wear polishing or oil I would scuff the soles up on rough concrete.

Others have had good results with various brands of tennis or running shoes. The guy I worked with most used Converse high-tops and claimed they gripped the steel as long as he didn't step in any oil. They lacked any arch support and would have my feet hurting in a few hours but he was young and tough.

#163396 - 01/16/09 07:24 AM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: Art_in_FL]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
When it comes to 'grippy' other than Converse Hi-Tops, I have to swear by Red Wings whatever-they-call-them (for certain things, at least):

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1156

In a few years of trolling around old-school underground mines (not caves, mind you - walking level-ish ground, climbing ladders, etc) they've been the best in both of terms of wearability and comfort...and the comfort is comparable to a new (not broken-in) running shoe. Pretty good for a boot.

Since I can't recall (find) a model number, the instep says "Oil-Resistant Long-Wearing Non-Marking Urethane." It really feels like a gum sole. Highly recommended, and also by a compatriot.

I realize this is the second of my posts extolling the virtues of Red Wings; they've never done me wrong, but the guys with Whites have complained more about their feet than anybody else. Not that White makes a bad boot but if you're going to complain about something, it doesn't matter what you're carrying / wearing. Personality issue.

Anyway, disclaimer disclaimer.

#163397 - 01/16/09 07:25 AM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: Art_in_FL]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Art:
I will not be building scaffolds again, but you certainly nailed it for what I used to do a lot of. (bad accident, automotive)
I found the flat soled rigger's boots pretty good.
Not as good as heeled boots on the ground but great for walking iron.
I would like to see a set of boots tried with deck soles, but I am not sure how those razor cut treads would stand up to the normal abuse.

Yelp:
Wow. You and Art. I spent three years in narrow vein gold mining when I was younger. The boots were almost all tribar rubber miner's boots.
Heavy clunky things, but you really did not have much choice.
Unlike most peoples idea of a mine most mines are very wet places.
Once you go underground you start running into water.
Think of a well.
Then think of a really big and deep well.

But powder really is the ultimate power tool!
I loved playing with it.
We used mostly ANFO with nonel caps linked to a detcord loop with an single electric.
We had stick powder too but it was really only for wet holes.
I still remember the day I drilled into a water vein. LOL!!
It pushed the jackleg and drillsteel out like somebody spitting out a watermelon seed.
An inch and an eighth hole with about 400 feet of head behind it.
It took three days of grouting with oatmeal and cement before we could take our round.

Edited by scafool (01/16/09 08:21 AM)

#163413 - 01/16/09 01:55 PM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: scafool]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
I've never slipped on any surface in my nikes. the standard waffle iron design is as grippy as any (the tread on car tyres is designed by the marketing department). And if you pronate badly their 'air sole' is a blessing.
Quick Joey Small

#163494 - 01/16/09 10:30 PM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: quick_joey_small]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I bought a pair of Timberland Titan steel-toes a while back. I've stopped wearing any other shoes since then. They are extremely comfortable and grip very well. I've walked on all kind of surfaces and never lost traction in them.

#163880 - 01/19/09 07:48 PM Re: Which boots have the grippiest soles. [Re: 2005RedTJ]
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I have these guys http://zeta.zappos.com/product/7396863/color/3
and they are very comfortable and super anti-slip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.