Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
People urged to avoid peanut butter products
Saturday, January 17, 2009

By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON —

Federal health authorities on Saturday urged consumers to avoid eating cookies, cakes, ice cream and other foods that contain peanut butter until authorities can learn more about a deadly outbreak of salmonella contamination.

Most peanut butter sold in jars at supermarkets appears to be safe, said Stephen Sundlof, head of the Food and Drug Administration's food safety center.

"As of now, there is no indication that the major national name-brand jars of peanut butter sold in retails stores are linked to the recall," Sundlof told reporters in a conference call.

Officials are focusing on peanut paste, as well as peanut butter, produced at a Blakely, Ga., facility owned by Peanut Corp. of America. Its peanut butter is not sold directly to consumers but distributed to institutions and food companies. But the peanut paste, made from roasted peanuts, is an ingredient in cookies, cakes and other products that people buy in the supermarket.

***continued***

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2009Jan17/0,4670,SalmonellaOutbreak,00.html

#163644 - 01/18/09 02:19 AM Re: People urged to avoid peanut butter products [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
If it isn't one thing it is another.
Izzy is right about being sad they worry so much about shielding the food industry.
Most of these outbreaks are the result of corner cutting by companies involved in mass production of food.
Mad Cow disease came into being because they were feeding the waste from slaughter houses back to beef cattle.
The strain of salmonella that is killing people is from feeding antibiotics and protein supplements to cattle at the same time.
It is spread on the crops when they use the manure as fertilizer.
Food producers who are willing to poison you for a few dollars of extra profit are not just found in China.

#163648 - 01/18/09 03:05 AM Re: People urged to avoid peanut butter products [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

That might be the next step.
Irradiating dirty food instead of cleaning up the production system.
May the wonders never cease!

#163657 - 01/18/09 04:45 AM Re: People urged to avoid peanut butter products [Re: scafool]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I developed an allergy to peanuts in my early 40's. Which, by the way, sucks hard 'cuz it makes having a nutter-nanner sammich (peanut butter and banana sandwich) kinda hard. However, my life has gotten better with the discovery of Sun Butter (standard disclaimers. It is made from sunflower seeds in a certified nut-free facility, unlike my house if you know what I mean. Now I can have sun-nanner sammiches.

#163677 - 01/18/09 09:08 AM Re: People urged to avoid peanut butter products [Re: MoBOB]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
You can also make your own peanut butter substitute with tahini, miso and I want to say almond butter. The recipe can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MKiIVjE3p0

#163740 - 01/18/09 09:37 PM Re: People urged to avoid peanut butter products [Re: AROTC]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I just ate a PB&J sandwich, and I'll probably have another tomorrow. Try and stop me!!

#163743 - 01/18/09 09:49 PM Re: People urged to avoid peanut butter products [Re: el_diabl0]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: el_diabl0
I just ate a PB&J sandwich, and I'll probably have another tomorrow. Try and stop me!!

Peanut butter is Squirrel poop!

(Even if that don't stop you it might slow you down.)

#163787 - 01/19/09 02:04 AM Re: People urged to avoid peanut butter products [Re: ]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
They zap the packaged meat as it passes into boxes with Electromagnetic radiation. Kills the germs.

That's how they sterilized packaged bandages. You know, the ones that say, sterility guaranteed unless opened? I always wondered how they did that, they just zap the snot out of it... Sorry for the technical lingo... laugh

#163798 - 01/19/09 03:40 AM Re: People urged to avoid peanut butter products [Re: scafool]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Originally Posted By: scafool
Originally Posted By: el_diabl0

Peanut butter is Squirrel poop!

(Even if that don't stop you it might slow you down.)

I have read that there are more insect body parts and other undesirables in peanut butter than any other food item. I dont care, I usually have about 15 lbs. stashed away at any given moment.

#163821 - 01/19/09 10:19 AM Re: People urged to avoid peanut butter products [Re: el_diabl0]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I get my peanut butter from the Amish market I frequent, fresh ground. Nothing added, it's drier than most commercial packed peanut butter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 183 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.