Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#156990 - 12/03/08 08:08 PM Gift Ideas?
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
It's that time of year and I find myself woefully unprepared with a list of handy "wants". Normally my wife asks me for a list of a few gadgets that she knows I'll enjoy, but to be honest, I haven't seen anything lately that's "blowing up my skirt" as Mr. Heston so aptly put it.

I figure if anyone knows of some good tools/gadgets/survival items, it would be ETS.

Obviously some items might not make it on my personal list, but I'd love to see what everyone has put on their own lists for Santa. I'm looking for items in the sub $100 range, but if something is still reasonable, and totally rocks, I might make a push for it. ;-)

#156999 - 12/03/08 10:04 PM Re: Gift Ideas? [Re: ]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
It looks like my xmas present this year will be new exhaust manifold bolts. And it's not going to be under $100. frown

#157005 - 12/03/08 11:34 PM Re: Gift Ideas? [Re: Nishnabotna]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna
It looks like my xmas present this year will be new exhaust manifold bolts. And it's not going to be under $100. frown

Are you going to DIY it? If so, have you done it before? PM if you need questions answered.

RIP OBG

#157016 - 12/04/08 12:52 AM Re: Gift Ideas? [Re: massacre]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Well, since we usually just buy what we want during the year, we have a real hard time coming up with Christmas (and BD) gifts for each other. We take a state map and draw a circle with a 200 mile radius centered on our location. Each of us look for something in that circle we want to visit, and we would write the names on slips of paper and put them in a bowl. Then we would draw one, and take a two or three day trip there...

#157018 - 12/04/08 12:56 AM Re: Gift Ideas? [Re: Desperado]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Desperado

Are you going to DIY it?

Smeg no. Backing headless bolts out of the head is not something I'm going to attempt. I've done enough DIY things to realize when I'm better off paying someone else to do it. Like plumbing, but that's a different story.

#157020 - 12/04/08 01:10 AM Re: Gift Ideas? [Re: Nishnabotna]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Ok, just thought I would ask. I grew-up with parents that owned auto parts stores. As such, I have built and rebuilt MANY engines, and cars. Learned a few tricks along the way. Exhaust anything is usually the worst though.

RIP OBG

#157045 - 12/04/08 12:12 PM Re: Gift Ideas? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Well, since we usually just buy what we want during the year, we have a real hard time coming up with Christmas (and BD) gifts for each other. We take a state map and draw a circle with a 200 mile radius centered on our location. Each of us look for something in that circle we want to visit, and we would write the names on slips of paper and put them in a bowl. Then we would draw one, and take a two or three day trip there...

OBG -- that is a terrific tradition!!

Most Americans (including me) already have way too much stuff. Much better to give the gift of time together.

Excellent!

Edited by Dagny (12/04/08 12:12 PM)

#157054 - 12/04/08 02:37 PM Re: Gift Ideas? [Re: Dagny]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Glad you guys like the idea! Happy travels...

#157132 - 12/04/08 10:00 PM Re: Gift Ideas? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Yep, it's a good idea, and I might bring it to the wife, as we generally get whatever we need (and many things we want within reason) during the year. I've been a good boy, so I was hoping for some more ideas. I'm thinking the Maxpedition bag I have in my wishlist might be a good time to try, and a lot of the gear mentioned definitely looks interesting. Maybe I should try to pickup some summer-time gear deals?

Aside from the buying parts to repair your vehicle or going on mini-vacations, any other ideas? Or am I right that not a whole lot of cool innovative gadgets have come out in the last year or two? :-)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.