Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153164 - 10/25/08 03:37 AM Inexpensive/disposable cache
Chisel Offline
Veteran

The idea is not mine, I have seen it soemtime somewhere in a prep forum, maybe this one or another one.

The idea is that we always have "extra" stuff or old stuff that needs to retire, or even no-so-beaten stuff, that has been replaced by more "cool" items. And we all agree that a cache is not a bad idea .

So, it is logical that if you have two or three old bags you can fill them with old used stuff and pre-position them in suitable locations. Those locations can vary from the attic in your sister's house to office locker, your father's barn, or anywhere in between.

If you lose them, they are almost disposable, if you find yourself caught in an emegency and heading that way, you may be able to utilize your stashed stuff in addition to what you are carrying.

So, you do have two or three old bags and you have already accepted the idea. What would you put in these bags ?

Remember, no $400 knives please. Your father's barn may burn to ashes and your sister may sell the house without notice !

#153178 - 10/25/08 12:04 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: Chisel]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I think its a valid idea. First, things I wouldn't put in it. Anything with an expiration date at all. You don't know when you're coming back to it, or how much you'll maintain it so it's kind of a waste of money to put anything that might expire on you in it. Second, like you say, nothing expensive. I would say probably nothing over $50 at all and nothing over $20 that hasn't been thoroughly used once.

What I would include is at least one change of clothes. Probably a change of pants, two shirts, two pairs of underwear, and three pairs of white athletic socks. Then a good but old jacket, something I'd replaced with something newer. An old pair of running shoes, or old pair of army boots. Since I run regularly, I have shoes that aren't good for running, but aren't coming apart at the seams either same goes for boots. Finally, work gloves, a ball cap and a winter hat (probably something ugly I don't wear, or a black army hat now that we've changed to grey fleece). An old towel, either something bleach stained, or a brown army one since I always have plenty. Maybe an old blanket or sleeping bag if I had one. I'd bag all the clothes in the big 2 1/2 gallon ziplock bags.

Then a few tools, Swiss army knife and/or a Mora knife, army canteen (empty) and canteen cup, pair of pliers, 550 cord and duct tape. Probably a full box of strike anywhere matches double bagged in ziplock freezer bags. A box of emergency candles. A first aid kit consisting of bandages and tape (again nothing perishable). Finally probably a notebook with the front part full of useful information and maps and the back blank. And several wooden pencils.

I wouldn't include any personal information in a kit of this format. I'd instead put copies of a few important documents in an envelop and leave that directly with someone or with an attorney.

That's not a complete list, but pretty close for me I think.

If the whole thing cost more than say $50 in new stuff I'd consider it a failure. Work gloves, matches, candles, first aid, maybe notebook and pencils, duct tape and 550 cord and ziplock bags could be new. Nothing else should be.

#153182 - 10/25/08 01:31 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: AROTC]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Assuming that you go to visit these folks every so often, I think that I would be tempted to include some food, probably canned stuff, maybe from the food outlet type stores, where prices are usually a little bit lower. $10 worth of canned food probably won't break you if it goes bad. And, assuming that you are talking bug out here, well broken in footwear. Old is fine, as long as servicable...

#153192 - 10/25/08 05:55 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There could be another possible benefit to doing this.

I am reminded of the couple in CA who were lost in rough terrain, and stumbled across the campsite of a man presumed dead. His backpack contained extra clothing and matches, things that allowed them to survive and start a signal fire.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12737512/

In the Alaskan and Canadian bush, it was long a given that you didn't lock your cabin door, just in case someone needed shelter.

Of course, sometimes the life you save is your own.

Sue

#153198 - 10/25/08 06:17 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: Susan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Unfortunately, my caches is probably the hospital I work at. I figure if something happens I'll be at work, or soon headed that way. Meaning, those folks are responsible for me! And if they're not, well, I can always swing by and raid the indidual pantry on each floor for apple/orange juices, saltines, and graham crackers. Yeah, my hospital has some kick-butt pantry ideas. (sarcasm intended)

#153216 - 10/25/08 09:57 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: Chisel]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
As much as I've discounted the theory of caches in the past, I guess I've been doing this for the past six months. I've got an old pack at a friend's that is half way between where I am and where I would be bugging out to. I've got a spare SAK, a change of clothes, a fleece blanket, some "add water food", extra matches and a pair of empty water bottles.

But that is because where I am I don't feel comfortable bringing my BoB, so I've just got my ditch kit, a blanket roll and few small items in my car.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#153277 - 10/26/08 08:04 AM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: ironraven]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Best of all this is a good excuse to buy better gear because the old stuff won't be going to waste. You sir; are a genius!
The Sock

#153298 - 10/26/08 03:24 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: TheSock]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Here's a few additional items I have put in my caches:

- Small packets of sugar, salt & pepper you get at fast food chains. Put them in double ziplock bag

- Other items from fast food chains ( like paper towels and plastic spoons/knives ..etc)

- A cheap can/bottle opener

- Few pencils and crayons my kids have wasted

- Newspaper ( to sit on, or start a fire, whatever. You can even make it in a cone shape and use as a loudspeaker)

#153304 - 10/26/08 03:48 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: Susan]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Susan

In the Alaskan and Canadian bush, it was long a given that you didn't lock your cabin door, just in case someone needed shelter.

Sue

In Canada, this is still pretty much the case. When I lived up north, there were (and still are) plenty of cabins left unlocked for this very purpose. It was very rare that these cabins are ever vandalized and if there is any vandalism , it was usually from bears looking for some food or anything else that was pleasing to their palette.

#153309 - 10/26/08 04:11 PM Re: Inexpensive/disposable cache [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Caches, reminds me of the movie "Fargo".

Comical irony aside, it makes sense, and I have some stuff in different places.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.