Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#149929 - 09/23/08 12:43 PM foresight
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I was just thinking, wouldn't it be cool if you could see just 5 seconds into the future constantly? Not enough to really change the outcome of world events, but just enough to see it coming.

Our recent threads have focused on being mentally prepared to deal with a situation. I wonder, is it possible to be able to almost predict what will happen in the next 5 seconds, all the time. Seems like I know people kinda like that, an older Seargent from Iraq, one of our construction field superintendents, my brother the physicist...each seems to be constantly able to anticipate what's about to happen, within their particular realms that is. It is almost like they know what is coming, just before it gets there. You could call it the Annakin Skywalker effect I suppose.

I think being able to accurately predict what's about to happen all the time is a possible trait, but it requires a lot of discipline, and a fair amount of knowledge. The chance for success is inversely proportional to improbability (see Hitch-hiker's guide to the Galaxy).

#149930 - 09/23/08 12:51 PM Re: foresight [Re: benjammin]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Might make for some interesting times in Vegas. grin

#149931 - 09/23/08 01:01 PM Re: foresight [Re: Stu]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Heightened awareness through continual personal development and broad-based life experience could be a large factor in the "phenomenon". The more active the mind/body/spirit is on a daily basis the more likely you are to be sensitive/aware of a larger variety of possible stimuli. Hence, you have a greater capacity to process an increased number of them. Then again, I could just be blowing smoke.

My 2 cents worth

Edited by MoBOB (09/24/08 03:51 AM)
Edit Reason: road-based?

#149937 - 09/23/08 03:46 PM Re: foresight [Re: MoBOB]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
It's an interesting topic. I've met folks in life who have a sixth sense about their environment, like Benjamin's folks. I think MoBOB is pretty close on this, its heightened awareness of their surroundings. Where I've seen it most acute is in the smallest physical places strangely enough - a tailor, a dentist, a barber. Each moved with a physical grace that was almost a ballet, but they had moved about that particular room for 40 years or more, and were happy doing it. I think my old dentist could do a filling with his eyes closed, he was so adept. The most expansive environment I've seen it exhibited is a construction site safety officer, Phil, who really had it good (or bad), word was he could call every single safety issue including the two accidents he was too late to stop.

Maybe not the same, but I got the same chill watching Clemente in Right Field as a kid, and Fred Beckey going up a vertical rock slab outside Leavenworth WA one day. I think they can both anticipate the future just a bit.

#149938 - 09/23/08 04:01 PM Re: foresight [Re: Lono]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I think it's a skill that can be developed.

What seems like magic is really more of a level of awareness and informed response that has developed from somewhere.

It starts with observing and analysing rather than just seeing.
Actively assess the environment then act. After awhile it seems almost instinctive.

Most of us get the concept with driving as an example. Some people drive and accidents happen to them and they get hit by road debris and people cut them off and they cut others off and they generally just blunder along.

But others see that blunderer coming and know that the blunderer will have to change lanes shortly and that there will be a conflict with the guy 2 lanes over who is also going to have to change lanes ..... and they aren't there when the situation gets bad.

One can do this for the outdoors, or flying, or boating as well.

#149939 - 09/23/08 04:02 PM Re: foresight [Re: Lono]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I wonder how we'd react to seeing our own demise, or that of a loved one, five seconds before it happened.

#149943 - 09/23/08 04:46 PM Re: foresight [Re: Grouch]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Grouch
I wonder how we'd react to seeing our own demise, or that of a loved one, five seconds before it happened.

That can be arranged.......

(just kidding!)

#149948 - 09/23/08 05:52 PM Re: foresight [Re: unimogbert]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Originally Posted By: Grouch

That can be arranged.......

The plan might already be drawn up. shocked

smile

#149953 - 09/23/08 06:39 PM Re: foresight [Re: Grouch]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I had this basic idea as pertains to having kids...through my own experience, I came to think of the saying that parents have eyes in the back of their head comes from having to predict what kids will do. I've walked out of a room they were in, and it clicked that they were going to get into trouble/do something self-destructive with what was in the room, or that they'd be heading toward something breakable, etc. I've walked back into the room to catch them just in time.

So my thought is that having eyes in the back of your head is being able to think about 5 seconds into the future for what the kids will do.

Dave

#149958 - 09/23/08 08:49 PM Re: foresight [Re: DaveT]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Experience in similar situations, and a good memory, can give a person a sense of how certain things tend ti work out. I go on a job and see a bunch of young bucks who are inexperienced, highly enthusiastic, trying to prove how good they are, or are being paid by the job and the first thing I do is grab the first-aid kit. No need to make a production about it. Not having an accident is good to.

But groups of young guys, enthusiasm, lack of planning and experience, and an inherently hazardous job usually means someone gets hurt. Someone will leave a tool on top of a ladder. Someone else will start to move the ladder and the tool will come down on their head. A load will get dropped on a foot. Someone will fail to use gloves handling a sheet metal fixture and slice their palms. But odds are it will happen.

And when it does your Johnny-on-the spot with the first-aid kit and and a well practiced safety talk that makes the injury an object lesson on safety. An outside observer might conclude you knew what was going to happen ahead of time.

Experience shows that if the young bucks are used to unload fragile materials they will damage a certain percentage. So when ordering it pays to order a few extra. Makes it look like you saw into the future when they break one and people assume it will delay the job. Only to be relieved there was extra.

Experience and an eye toward how things tend to go and how and why things fall apart might be construed as being able to see into the future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.