Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#143394 - 08/09/08 08:22 AM Cartels growing pot in U.S. National Forests??
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Geez, just when you thought you had the bears all figured out, along come the two legged cretins...

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/08/pot.eradication/index.html

So, when it's no longer safe to take a walk in the woods, where you supposed to go hiking? It certainly gives "Smokey the Bear" a whole new meaning...

#143395 - 08/09/08 09:17 AM Re: Cartels growing pot in U.S. National Forests?? [Re: Fitzoid]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Legalize it and cartels won't be able to profit from it. Problem solved.

The part I find interesting is that they found 10,000 plants. Anyone with a backyard vegetable garden can guess how much work would be involved in planting, caring for, and harvesting that many plants. If they can pull that off in a national forest, you can do anything in a national forest.

#143396 - 08/09/08 09:22 AM Re: Cartels growing pot in U.S. National Forests?? [Re: Fitzoid]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

but wait, there's more: pot

if you go out in the woods today, you're in for a big surprise!

last week, my back yard.

#143400 - 08/09/08 11:16 AM Re: Cartels growing pot in U.S. National Forests?? [Re: Fitzoid]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The size is impressive, but other than that, this isn't news. State and national forests and parks are often used for grow operations and processing labs, at least the more remote parts.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143403 - 08/09/08 12:19 PM Re: Cartels growing pot in U.S. National Forests?? [Re: Fitzoid]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
It not just in the forest. Drug dealers turn vineyards into pot farms

#143405 - 08/09/08 01:03 PM Re: Cartels growing pot in U.S. National Forests?? [Re: Russ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I read years ago that it was popular for people to grow it along railroad tracks and under high tension towers. These areas are easily accessible being in and close to cities and not heavily patrolled.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#143410 - 08/09/08 01:23 PM Re: Cartels growing pot in U.S. National Forests?? [Re: Fitzoid]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Unfortunately that is not new news. There is an area in Northern CA that has been called the Emerald Triangle for years, thanks to the pot growers. CA law enforcement has their annual CAMP (Campaign Against Marijuana Planters) program, aimed specifically at the growers in the boonies. A friend of mine started the High Sierra Volunteer Trailcrew years ago, primarily to clear trails in the NF. Now they spend a huge amount of time clearing pot farms in the forests. (Goin' on their trips is a hoot, by the way, if anyone is interested). We once has a US Navy pilot report a huge area of marijuana growing in the center of a full section of field corn. The stuff is everywhere...

#143421 - 08/09/08 04:41 PM Re: Cartels growing pot in U.S. National Forests?? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
This has been going on for decades. I remember back in the 70s coming across a wild pot farm in the cascades on a late summer recon for hunting season. When we realized where we were, we beat feet outta there.

I also recall my uncle telling me about farmers growing it in the corn fields.

That wildweed flower, it grows anywhere!!!

I think it is far too late for legalization to make any difference where it is being grown illegally, whether on public or private land. Even if the feds changed the posession/use legalities, you can be darned sure it would still be heavily regulated. There's still a lotta folks making 'shine these days, despite the fact that booze is legal to drink, but not legal to make for distribution unless you are licensed.

#143422 - 08/09/08 04:54 PM Re: Cartels growing pot in U.S. National Forests?? [Re: benjammin]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
That it's going on at this scale is news to me. I had no idea pot farming had become this organized. People may plant and then come back to tend and harvest, but leaving 24x7 guards with automatic weapons is news to me. (Take a look at some of the numbers in the article.)

I don't think even Harold and Kumar would want to come across this crop... grin (If you don't get the reference, ask your youngins...)

#143423 - 08/09/08 04:58 PM Re: Cartels growing pot in U.S. National Forests?? [Re: benjammin]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: benjammin
This has been going on for decades. I remember back in the 70s coming across a wild pot farm in the cascades on a late summer recon for hunting season. When we realized where we were, we beat feet outta there.

I also recall my uncle telling me about farmers growing it in the corn fields.

That wildweed flower, it grows anywhere!!!

I think it is far too late for legalization to make any difference where it is being grown illegally, whether on public or private land. Even if the feds changed the posession/use legalities, you can be darned sure it would still be heavily regulated. There's still a lotta folks making 'shine these days, despite the fact that booze is legal to drink, but not legal to make for distribution unless you are licensed.

Ben,

I was glad you brought up the moonshine analogy because that is exactly the image that comes to my mind when I hear of folks growing their own "cash crop".

I agree if legalized, there would still be folks growing it where ever they could, but if it were legally available wouldn't that bring down the price hence the violence associated with defending one's crop plus the need to hide it in a national (inconvenient) forest?

I don't know the answer to that question but it's something that comes to mind.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.