The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#142981 - 08/06/08 02:01 AM Kitchen knife sharpening
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
So I've got a set of Cutco knives that I've used a Sharpmaker to keep up. I just added a couple of Rachael Ray Furi santokus to my cook's arsenal, and they recommend (of course) their own sharpening system to upkeep the blades. They mention that the blades are ground at a 20 degree angle. Some of the comments I read about the quality of the knives before purchasing them raved about the razor sharp edge...I was not impressed myself. I keep most of my kitchen knives near shaving sharp...paper thin tomato slices baby!

Anyhow, I was about to replace my Sharpmaker...lost mine in the Midwest floods. But this system that Furi offers costs about twice as much and if it only maintains a 20 degree angle, instead of the 30 or 40 degrees the Sharpmaker does, then I'm buying two sharpening systems...

Or I may look into an EdgePro instead of either of the other two...

Will I ruin a 20 degree blade with a Sharpmaker? Buy the EdgePro instead? Get all three?

Funds are limited due to the massive personal property loss during the flood...

#142986 - 08/06/08 02:30 AM Re: Kitchen knife sharpening [Re: Ors]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I have a Lansky knife sharpener; it’s probably 20-years old. The only thing I have ever done to it is to buy the stone for the serrated blades and more sharpening oil. It has preset angles of 17, 20, 25 and 30 degs. It has been a very good tool that works as well now as when it was new.

I have no idea what they sell for now.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#143014 - 08/06/08 01:32 PM Re: Kitchen knife sharpening [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Since I've gone to the wheels, I have tossed all my other sharpeners (except my BOB carbide sharpener) into the garbage. Those wheels are hot doo-doo! But that's just me. I am lazy, and the idea of taking a beat up POS machete and being able to put a polished edge on it in less than two minutes that scared my pals was worth the investment. I can put any angle on it I want, and it's so easy, even a caveman can do it.

#143042 - 08/06/08 05:38 PM Re: Kitchen knife sharpening [Re: benjammin]
Henry_Porter Offline

Benjammin, what are "the wheels" to which you refer? Sounds interesting.

#143199 - 08/07/08 11:49 PM Re: Kitchen knife sharpening [Re: Ors]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I do just about all my sharpening nowadays with a mouse pad and various grades of wet-dry sandpaper, creating a convex edge. Works for me...

#143237 - 08/08/08 11:56 AM Re: Kitchen knife sharpening [Re: Henry_Porter]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
They are paper wheels I mounted on a cheap grinder after removing the guards and guides and such. One is coated with diamond dust embedded in glue, to which you apply a wax before each use, the other is slotted radially along the circumference, about 1/2" in from the edge, to which you apply white rouge each time.

You dress up the edge using the diamond wheel, which is not terribly aggressive, but will put a new angle on a blade in two passes. That leaves a burr along the edge of a blade, which you then polish off with the rouge wheel. The end result is a polished edge that can be wickedly sharp and seems to hold longer than using any other sharpening method. I have a friend who's been using the same pair of wheels since 1989, and has only re-coated the diamond wheel once. Given the amount he needs to sharpen on a regular basis I'd say that is pretty good durability.

It takes me about 2 minutes tops to put a new edge on most pocket knives, and I have learned to make it beveled or convex (of sorts). It works for me. The alternative is using one of those carbide draw shapeners if I am out in the field and need to touch up an edge.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.