Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#137868 - 06/27/08 01:03 AM How do you sell your guns?
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'd like some advise on selling a pistol. For those of you who do this on occasion, how do you recommend doing it? Ad in the newspaper? Walk around with a sign at a gunshow? Other?

This is in Texas, so there aren't too many legal concerns.

Thank you in advance,

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#137870 - 06/27/08 01:16 AM Re: How do you sell your guns? [Re: Blast]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Bad idea to put an add in a newspaper, you are basically telling people you have guns in your home and with a reverse look up of your phone number your address can be found out by anyone.

Call all the local gun shops and find one that will sell it on consignment ( The fee is normally 10% of the sale price) for you. This way you don’t have to worry about any legal issues, the gun shop does all that for you.

A gun shop also get more traffic looking for a gun then any other place so it should sell better there then anyplace else.

A few things to check on is to see if you will have to go through a new background check to get your own gun back from the gun shop if it doesn’t sell. Or what fees there may be to get it back.

Edited by BobS (06/27/08 01:56 AM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#137875 - 06/27/08 02:31 AM Re: How do you sell your guns? [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yup. Plan B could be to sell to a friend or co-worker, someone you know not to be a wanted felon...

#137879 - 06/27/08 03:09 AM Re: How do you sell your guns? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
When the firearm is sold private party-to-private party there is no requirement for a background check (At least last time I did it). However, if do sell a forearm to a private party make sure you draw up a very specific bill of sale. On all of my privates I have included that normal make/model/serial number stuff. I also included a statement along the lines of: "As of (DATE), I, SELLER'SNAME, am not liable for any acts related to the above listed firearm. BUYER'S NAME, intends to use this firearm only for lawful purposes." Or some such drivel. Then I sign it, the buyer signs and an independent third party (witness) signs it. If the buyer doesn't want to sign then he/she is not worthy of owning a firearm. I have never had a problem with the buyer's when it came to this. Make sure that everyone has a copy.

A background check to retrieve the firearm from consignment should not be necessary because ownership was never transferred. Positive verification that you are the person who put it in for consignment will be required. The shop does have some Federal requirements for the purposes of inventory in order to keep his/her FFL. There is probably a notation for consignment.

#137889 - 06/27/08 05:36 AM Re: How do you sell your guns? [Re: MoBOB]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Bobs wrote:
> Bad idea to put an add in a newspaper, you are basically telling people you have guns in your home and with a reverse look up of your phone number your address can be found out by anyone.

Being in the legal gunless UK I don't understand this. Shouldn't having guns in the house make you less likely to be burgled?
The Sock

#137893 - 06/27/08 08:43 AM Re: How do you sell your guns? [Re: TheSock]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: TheSock
Being in the legal gunless UK I don't understand this. Shouldn't having guns in the house make you less likely to be burgled?

The Sock

That might be the case while you were home. But I'm assuming thieves rarely (knowingly) break into an occupied residence for many obvious reasons. Just like survival preparedness, bugging out during a crisis, etc, its probably best not to be too conspicuous. Advertising a firearm in the house might be the one little thing that makes your place more attractive than the neighbors'.

#137900 - 06/27/08 12:30 PM Re: How do you sell your guns? [Re: LED]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

+1 to what MoBOB and BobS suggest....
TheSock, the problem is most "smart" thieves will stake it out and wait until nobody is home. Then you get to lose the firearm AND a whole lot more. Once you get past the criminal kicking in the door of other criminals to rob them of drugs/money, "hot home invasions/burglaries", those that happen when the occupant is home, vastly decline because of the number of guns here in the US. Unlike other places where the criminal is actually protected by the "enlightend" thinking that "personal life/health" is more valued than "personal belongings". Even when said belongings aren't theirs. In these area a theif can kick open the door and rob you blind, because if you defend your property, you commit the more violent crime of assault and are the one going to jail for a longer time, after all the career criminal knows the system and will be out long before you are. And able to rob your now ungarded house and pawn your every possesion.

-Bill Liptak

#137914 - 06/27/08 02:09 PM Re: How do you sell your guns? [Re: Blast]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
Blast,

PM sent.

Stargazer

#137976 - 06/28/08 12:44 AM Re: How do you sell your guns? [Re: MoBOB]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That kinda depends on where you live. Can't do it in CA, gotta go thru a licensed dealer, the buyer has to have proof of a certified firearms class, being a LEO, current military, or a DD214...

#137977 - 06/28/08 01:04 AM Re: How do you sell your guns? [Re: BobS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
+1 on consignment, that's how I've done stuff. Or straight sale/trade to the shop.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.