Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#136907 - 06/20/08 02:30 PM How to Survive Anything Mother Nature Throws at Yo
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Just saw a Popular Mechanics Article: How to Survive Anything Mother Nature Throws at You.

I have not seen anyone else post anything about it, so I will. Have not yet read all of it, so I don't have any comments, but would enjoy others when they read it.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/worst_case_scenarios/4220418.html?page=1

#136909 - 06/20/08 02:49 PM Re: How to Survive Anything Mother Nature Throws at Yo [Re: Dan_McI]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#136910 - 06/20/08 02:50 PM Re: How to Survive Anything Mother Nature Throws at Yo [Re: climberslacker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That's either a typo or they're assuming that you'll need drinking water, washing water, cooking water, and water your tomatoe garden so you'll have fresh food to eat wink

#136913 - 06/20/08 02:59 PM Re: How to Survive Anything Mother Nature Throws a [Re: ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: Popular Mechanics
Keep three days’ supply of bottled water on hand at all times—12 gal. per person per day for drinking, plus 12 gal. per person per day for sanitation and cooking. Filling up a 50-gal. bathtub with water can extend your supply by 1212 days.

Have you seen the arrow?

#136914 - 06/20/08 03:02 PM Re: How to Survive Anything Mother Nature Throws at Yo [Re: ]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
I keep reading about CERT training and this article mentions it too. Anybody been through it? Is it worth it? Forgive my ignorance.

#136928 - 06/20/08 04:54 PM Re: How to Survive Anything Mother Nature Throws a [Re: Still_Alive]
LaLine Offline
Stranger

Loc: Utah
I just finished CERT training for work and I loved it. They also do short refresher classes each month for us on a single topic so we can remember what we learned in class. I work at a university so we also had a class devoted to work place violence and shooters on campus. I found it all very interesting and it has helped me make adjustments in my work kit and car kit. In my opinion CERT training is a good jump start, but you'll need to be proactive in getting more training (especially first aid and CPR) afterwards.

#136931 - 06/20/08 05:18 PM Re: How to Survive Anything Mother Nature Throws a [Re: LaLine]
Evan Offline
Engineer

Loc: IL
I've been through CERT training (and citizen police and fire academy as well) and am now on the response team for two communities (where I work and where I live). These are good basic classes, especially for those that have had no basic first aid etc... As part of the CERT training each person received a bag with some basic supplies and tools. It also helps to have a 'common' language to talk with other team members. As a result of the training we have been through, one of my close friends whom went through it with me happened to watch a rather horrific car accident occur right in front of him. He pulled out his CERT gear and started first aid on the people in the car that had some pretty extensive damage and one trapped passenger. While stemming the bleeding from the trapped passenger, the fire department arrived and seeing that he seemed pretty together actually had him assist in helping to extricate the girl who was trapped in the back seat. While he had wondered if he would be able to cope should the moment arrive, he said it all flowed naturally in the heat of the moment. After all had returned to normal however he said he got pretty shaky. For those of us that don't do this on a regular basis - it get's you thinking about what you need to do and what prep to start making. Since that intro time we've both gone through more extensive first aid training and CPR certification. All in all I'd recommend the CERT program - our experience was pretty positive and the local police and fire departments were pretty supportive.

#136934 - 06/20/08 05:27 PM Re: How to Survive Anything Mother Nature Throws a [Re: Evan]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Is there a minimum age for CERT training?

Have you seen the arrow?

#136938 - 06/20/08 05:55 PM Re: How to Survive Anything Mother Nature Throws a [Re: climberslacker]
Evan Offline
Engineer

Loc: IL
I personally can't speak to that - check with your local community. The youngest person in our class (about 20 people) was mid 20's. The oldest in their late 60's. Everyone was enthusiastic and there was a lot of great interaction. The conclusion of the class was a mock disaster situation (Arriving at a building devastated by a tornado). Needless to say our team thinking we were a bunch of hot shots planned out our roles, arriving at the scene with FRS radios for communication, etc.. AND EVERYTHING WENT OUT THE WINDOW in less than 60 seconds. Those planning the disaster did a great job of creating the confusion, noise, and all kinds of things that we were not ready for. There wasn't a single one of us that was not ready for rescue ourselves at the end of the 20 minute simulation. This was a real eye opener for what 1st responders have to do - and all this for those of us knowing it was only a simulation! Like I had mentioned before - I don't think CERT prepares you for anything that could possibly happen - but the everyday citizen needs to start somewhere. Having been through that I know that my own personal preparation at home is much better today than it was a year ago. Check out some of the info at the department of homeland security as a start: http://www.dhs.gov/xcitizens/

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.