Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#134968 - 06/06/08 03:21 PM How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelphia..
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm heading down to Philadelphia on sunday (on business) for three days and will be staying downtown.

I was wondering if anyone could help me plan my visit by giving me some tips, identifying some "must-sees", and such?

Of course, my interests are much broader than survival and EDCs smile . I'm not looking to party (no clubs/bars) but to see interesting things and landmarks. I have a limited budget and am in no way afraid to walk but I am open to shelling out a bit of cash for cabs or bus.

One thing I had in mind was to do a guided tour on a Segway machine (I-Glide tours), sounds like a fun way to visit the area! That goes for 69$ for 2.5-3 hours.

Thanks a lot!

#134972 - 06/06/08 03:57 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: SARbound]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

i don't have anything to say about philly, i'll leave that to the others.

but, i would highly encourage you to do the segway tour! we did that in paris several years ago and had a great time. instructions / practice took about a half hour. and then we took off like a flock of ducks - one behind the other following the leader. great way to see the sights.

Edited by bsmith (06/06/08 03:58 PM)

#134975 - 06/06/08 04:23 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: bsmith]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
I'm on the outskirts of Philly... You should probably do some of the basics such as the Liberty Bell, Independance Hall, etc... There is the Old City Walking tour for about $15... Go to Philadelphia Tours for a bunch of tours. They do have a Segway tour as well.

Another popular one is the Ducks... DUKW Amphibious vehicle... Ride The Ducks of Philadelphia

Depending on what you are looking for, there is the Franklin Institute (currently hosting a pirate exhibit) or the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

A good amount of things are definitely within walking distance... What hotel are you staying at? You can look at a map and mark off what is in a comfort level of walking.

#134980 - 06/06/08 04:39 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: Mike_H]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Go to Geno's or Pat's for a Philly Cheese Steak! Cross the river to Camden NJ to visit the USS New Jersey WWII battleship.

The original Bookbinder's restaurant is a great evening stop

#134981 - 06/06/08 04:46 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: Stu]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Good call on the battleship and Pat's... Wit or witout wiz?

#134984 - 06/06/08 04:50 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: Mike_H]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Mike_H

Wit

#134988 - 06/06/08 05:09 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: Mike_H]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Mike_H

wit wiz, witout onions... ugh..

Uh, liberty bell, USS New Jersey definetely. The Liberty bell is a whole building comples with Independence Hall and some other buildings. A few blocks north of the bell is an old/original neighborhood, Ben Franklin's gravesite. On 5th (ish) and Market is one of the US mints, I think they have tours. No free souveniers frown

Strolling along south street can be fun. There's a jewlery district around 10th and Market (and south for a few blocks).

The baseball stadium is BEAUTIFUL. Take the subway directly to it, avoid parking and traffic.

Lancaster is where the Amish run around in carts. OK wineries there too. Bout an hour outside Philly. There's also some state park known for bald eagles an hour west of Philly

I'm looking forward to going back at the end of the month.

#134992 - 06/06/08 05:21 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: MDinana]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Lots of wineries close by: Chaddsford, New Hope, Mount Hope, Cloverhill (I think)... All about 45 mins from Philly. Definitely would need a car.

Lancaster is a bit more than an hour from Philly, considering the traffic... It usually takes around 30-40 mins from center city to King of Prussia.

I know about Hawk Mountain, not sure about the bald eagles tho.

Oh, the Philly Zoo is also ok...

#135040 - 06/06/08 11:30 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: Mike_H]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Great! Thanks for these recommendations... I remember doing a tour in Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada), with a WWII-era amphibious vehicle and it was pretty fun.

Sounds like i'm pretty set... unless someone living in Philly feels like giving me a private tour? wink

Ttyl folks, thanks!

#135042 - 06/06/08 11:47 PM Re: How about a lighter topic? Visiting Philadelph [Re: Stu]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Go to Geno's or Pat's for a Philly Cheese Steak! Cross the river to Camden NJ to visit the USS New Jersey WWII battleship.

The original Bookbinder's restaurant is a great evening stop

Forget Geno's and Pat's go to Tony Luke's at Front & Oregon (not a bad cab ride from Center City). Much better steaks and a very good menu of other sandwiches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.