The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132826 - 05/14/08 03:26 AM Ideas to spice up a search and rescue simulation
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
This year, I am in charge of organizing my SAR team's annual meeting. We're going to do all sorts of fun things related to SAR throughout the upcoming weekend. Mantracking, knot practice, advanced compass workshop, swiftwater rescue primer, night searches, canine stuff, proper firearm handling (unloading <g>), high/low angle rescue techniques, etc.

So basically we have lots of stuff to talk about and I am lucky to have other volunteers that will take care of their given aspects.

I am in charge of organizing the search simulation part of the weekend. This is scheduled to last a whole afternoon and I wish to make things interesting for both new and experienced searchers. In the past, i've organized a few of those simulations, but they were modest. An hour or so before the actual event, we simply went in the woods to hide some clothing items, beer bottles, and so on. After that, we would simply assign specific areas to the teams and would monitor their progress over VHF radios.

I'd like to spice up things a little and make things more fun and most importantly, feel "new" to my people. I was thinking, maybe change the course of things during the afternoon, for example, asking a team to change course and perform a specific task... things like that.

I'm pretty exhausted from all this preparation and I was wondering if any of you had ideas that I could implement within a limited budget and time for preparation? That could be helpful and I would be delighted to try some new things I haven't thought about yet.

Thank you! cool

#132832 - 05/14/08 04:13 AM Re: Ideas to spice up a search and rescue simulation [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

+1 on Nighthikers ideas...all good.

I'd try to throw something in that required confined space work. Dark, tight quarters can mess up even the best rescuer.

#132840 - 05/14/08 06:50 AM Re: Ideas to spice up a search and rescue simulation [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Halfway into the exercise "disappear" a member of the team without explanation and watch the team react, respond, etc.

#132844 - 05/14/08 11:05 AM Re: Ideas to spice up a search and rescue simulation [Re: SARbound]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
One of the search dogs starts to show signs of rabies? *chuckles*

On a serious note, like NightHiker suggested, maybe have it turn into a recovery. Or a dry hole.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#132847 - 05/14/08 11:19 AM Re: Ideas to spice up a search and rescue simulation [Re: dweste]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I really like dweste's idea of disappearing a team member half way though the exercise.

Here are some other ideas:
-for the person(s) that your searching for, have them spend a night out before the search begins. You will get a bit closer to realism for the search party (at least for the victim(s) - if they aren't savy outdoors!!!). This is for the junior of the team ;-)
-adding an injury to one or more of your team members through the exercise (i.e. broken leg, etc), which affects the numbers searching.
-add another search victim somewhere/anytime through the exercise, like the victim's young son/daughter
-loosing communications? Not sure about this, does it ever happen?

Just ideas, and not sure if any are appropriate.
Kris

I should read everything before posting!!! I just read NightHiker's post and some common points. Sorry man.

Edited by Kris (05/14/08 11:23 AM)

#132850 - 05/14/08 12:41 PM Re: Ideas to spice up a search and rescue simulation [Re: Kris]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Not to be depressing, but what about finding a body, either an unexpected find or the person being searched for? Is there a procedure to secure the scene in case of "foul play?" (for future LEO investigation). Emotional trauma to searchers who find a corpse? etc.?

#132862 - 05/14/08 02:38 PM Re: Ideas to spice up a search and rescue simulation [Re: SARbound]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
Loss of critical gear, or presenting a situation the team isn't equipped for.

#132866 - 05/14/08 02:46 PM Re: Ideas to spice up a search and rescue simulation [Re: SARbound]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Perhaps a number of “lost” individuals, some with injuries requiring litter evacuation with some low-to-steep incline or water access. This way you incorporate multiple skills and varying levels of incident management.

Pete

#132867 - 05/14/08 02:46 PM Re: Ideas to spice up a search and rescue simulation [Re: ohiohiker]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Forest fire beginning in the area is my thought-
Hasty fire extinguishment?
Perhaps assessing fire direction and escape in some direction that isn't back to the vehicles?

Also-
Rabid dogpack encounter?

#132869 - 05/14/08 02:50 PM Re: Ideas to spice up a search and rescue simulation [Re: unimogbert]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Communications problems. Force a situation where teams need to relay messages because the team in question is out of range...this can really mess people up if they haven't done it before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.