Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#126293 - 03/05/08 12:12 AM Homesteading on .2 acres
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I've just started delving into this site. It's under construction and far from complete, but it's pretty interesting thus far.

When I think about wanting to move out to the country to homestead, I always start thinking in acres upon acres of land. This Pasadena California man and his family are "urban homesteaders" and only have 1/5 of an acre to make use of. And make good use of the land they do.

Path to Freedom

#126296 - 03/05/08 01:23 AM Re: Homesteading on .2 acres [Re: Nicodemus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Yes, people dream of acres and acres of land, but the usual thought is: If you can't keep a quarter-acre under control, what would you do with fifty?

Of course, more land keeps the neighbors farther away...

Sue

#126297 - 03/05/08 01:30 AM Re: Homesteading on .2 acres [Re: Nicodemus]
DougM Offline

Don't believe them, it takes FAR more time, effort and water (not to mention land) to grow enough to feed yourself and your family than most people realize. Also consider the fertility and topography of your property (is it even close to level? how are you going to cultivate your crop(s)? Spading fork and shovel? Rototiller? Plow? Who's going to pull it?
Also, why hasn't the site been updated in more than a year?

#126302 - 03/05/08 02:36 AM Re: Homesteading on .2 acres [Re: Nicodemus]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
My folks did a pretty good job of keeping our family supplied with food using a 1/4 acre of land. I'd say 65% of the fruits/veggies we had growing up came from our garden. The meat came from the surrounding woofs, fields, and lakes. I remember spending days in the fall canning stuff or freezing it, depending on what it was. Sidenote: the only power tool used was an old rototiller. Every peice of waste plant matter was composted, and we used sprinklers and rain water to keep everything hydrated. This was in central Minnesota. The soil was great but the summers could get dry.

I don't know about meeting all the needs of a family, but I think if you are willing to put in the labor you can make a good dent. I'd STRONGLY reccomend taking full advantage of your local Master Gardener's group.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#126304 - 03/05/08 02:54 AM Re: Homesteading on .2 acres [Re: DougM]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
The square-foot gardening technique that they are using is surprisingly productive/sq foot. I didn't notice any credits to the originator:

http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

I have used this technique with great success in the past when I lived in a city home.

Edited by GarlyDog (03/05/08 02:58 AM)

#126308 - 03/05/08 03:13 AM Re: Homesteading on .2 acres [Re: Nicodemus]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
When I was a kid, and uncle had 1/2 acre, most of which was covered with pine trees 'til I chopped them down. Just about enough land for him to grow enough blackberries for a few good cobblers. I can not imagine trying to grow enough to live on that little land...

#126311 - 03/05/08 03:27 AM Re: Homesteading on .2 acres [Re: OldBaldGuy]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I can not imagine trying to grow enough to live on that little land...

I agree.
Supplement...yes.
Self-sufficient...not even close.

Edited by GarlyDog (03/05/08 03:30 AM)

#126329 - 03/05/08 01:16 PM Re: Homesteading on .2 acres [Re: GarlyDog]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
About 5 acres seems to be the absolute minimum for self sufficiency, providing you make use of all the modern technical advances available, and supplement with wild game and fish, or buy your meat elsewhere, and you choose the right type of land and plants.

It is going to be one of the most strenuous jobs you will ever have trying to get that amount of land to produce enough to feed a family for a year, but it can be done.

Done right, it should provide at least 4 months of fresh produce a year and allow for an additional 1,000 quarts canned. It should also produce about 100 bushels of wheat. A good root cellar ought to allow for an additional 400-800 lbs of storable produce (pumpkin, winter squash, certain root vegetables, apples, etc).

If you hunt and fish, you should be able to garner another 1,200 lbs or so of meat, depending on where you are in the country. To be that successful will take a fair investment in equipment and practice, as well as finding the animals. Domestic livestock would cost more in resources than they will provide, so best if you can get it wild. In my heyday, after amortizing the cost of all my hunting and fishing gear, I could usually bring in 1,000 lbs or more of meat a year on less than $500. Most of it was fish, but I got my fair share of birds, and the occasional deer and elk filled the deep freeze to capacity.

#126334 - 03/05/08 01:42 PM Re: Homesteading on .2 acres [Re: Susan]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Susan
Yes, people dream of acres and acres of land, but the usual thought is: If you can't keep a quarter-acre under control, what would you do with fifty?

Of course, more land keeps the neighbors farther away...

Sue

Yeah, I dream of working 3 to 5 acres and having about 50 more between myself and the neighbors. grin

Edited by Nicodemus (03/05/08 01:45 PM)

#126339 - 03/05/08 02:20 PM Re: Homesteading on .2 acres [Re: DougM]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Originally Posted By: DougM
Don't believe them, it takes FAR more time, effort and water (not to mention land) to grow enough to feed yourself and your family than most people realize. Also consider the fertility and topography of your property (is it even close to level? how are you going to cultivate your crop(s)? Spading fork and shovel? Rototiller? Plow? Who's going to pull it?
Also, why hasn't the site been updated in more than a year?

If you take a moment to look at the section Path Project/At a Glance, you'll see in there that they don't claim to provide all of their own food, and at best only 80%-90% in the summer. Also, at several points in the site they mention the fact that since they decided to make money on some of what they produce, they've gone boutique in some ways. This means growing more garnishes and spices rather than sustenance plants so, the percentage of what they provide for themselves may have even gone down since that post.

Also, you are correct about the main part of the site not being updated in more than a year. However, if you take a look at the Journal Section there you'll see that the site appears to have taken a turn for more of a Blog type page and is very active. There were 5 posts on leap-day alone including an interesting look into the family's diet for a week. As with Blogs, some posts are fluffy filler, but others have some great info in them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 294 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.