Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#126530 - 03/06/08 08:08 PM Legal plant foraging in California?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I am trying to put together a list of locations where it is legal to forage for plants in California, especially northern and central California.

I know private property is out unless the owner gives you permission.

The state parks, BLM land, and national parks I have checked online do not allow removing anything, including plants.

Now I am checking city and regional parks, preserves, open spaces, etc.

It is tedious and, so far, not very successful.

Has somebody else already put this information together?

#126534 - 03/06/08 08:31 PM Re: Legal plant foraging in California? [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I would check for public land areas where you can hunt. Chances are very good that if you can take the local wildlife, the local plant life is fair game.

#126538 - 03/06/08 08:55 PM Re: Legal plant foraging in California? [Re: ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
National Forests aren't usually quite as tightly wound as a National Park. The Forests are run by the Dept. of Agriculture -- one of their functions is to be productive and as such are generally open for mining, logging, etc, although it varies some Forest to Forest.

I'm pretty sure you can gather "personal quantities." I know the Koreans around here in S. Calif. gather a certain fern in season. I've never seen the rangers hassling them. You might just call the USDA Forest Service and ask.

I'm really surprised that on BLM land you can't gather plants. You might want to dig a little further on that one. You may just have to get a permit. Of course if it's a designated National Monument* or Federal Wilderness area, the restrictions would be much tighter.

*some National Monuments are run by the BLM not the Park Service, for example: Carrizo Plain National Monument - BLM

#126569 - 03/07/08 12:53 AM Re: Legal plant foraging in California? [Re: dweste]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

dweste,

I was reading a book on building a log cabin recently, and this may not apply, but the writer had some stuff in one of the chapters for "managing wild animal habitats."

This included land that was off his property and into a National Forest I think. I will try to find the book, so I can give a better reference.

Edited by Joseph13 (03/07/08 12:54 AM)

#126579 - 03/07/08 02:32 AM Re: Legal plant foraging in California? [Re: Joseph13]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, guys.

After some initial negativity from others, I am finding the actual rules, regulations, statutes, etc. provide for permission to forage on National Forest, public utilty, and other lands.

Hopefully a respectful approach and demonstration of sincere intent to learn and not ravage will lead to permission in a few places at different elevations. I will report - and I could use all the help I can get!

#126598 - 03/07/08 08:30 AM Re: Legal plant foraging in California? [Re: dweste]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

dweste,

I was wrong with the previous post.
(This included land that was off his property and into a National Forest I think.) specifically this part.

The book I made reference to is "How to Build Your Dream Cabin In The Woods, The Ultimate Guide to Building and Maintaining a Backcountry Getaway" by
J. Wayne Fears.

Chapter 18 Managing Your Property, may have some relavant suggestions though.

1) USGS topographical map, from www.usgs.gov once you get to talking to the people about what and whear you are allowed to do your harvesting. Keep notes on the the "topo" map during your discussions with State and Federal authority types.

2) NRCS (Natural Resouce Conservation Service), www.nrcs.usda.gov
may be of some help.

3) www.reeusda.gov
may have some info for planting wildlife food plots. (Or managing existing crops?)

4) Local county extension office, When you go to meet with these people, have a list of goals you wish to accomplish. (ie. you/your club will pack out trash found at designated area, improve the plants health by increasing or decreacing shade areas, thinningout thicketsof simmilar species so they are healthier. )
Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

5) As you meet with the various entities, "ask them about any special progams that are avalible. In some areas the government will cost-share certain soil, wildlife, or forestry practices."

Hope this is more helpful than the first post.

Best wishes with the new club and getting permission for plant foraging.

Joe

#126599 - 03/07/08 09:11 AM Re: Legal plant foraging in California? [Re: Joseph13]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good stuff, thanks!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.