The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124085 - 02/17/08 02:42 AM EDC for the metal detector environment
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I go in and out of court several times a week, at a minimum.

Sharps are a no-no. Other metal stuff is subject to scrutiny, sometimes confiscation.

So, what kind of worthwhile EDC, FAK, pocket survival kit, etc. could be put together for the metal detector environment?

#124088 - 02/17/08 03:29 AM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Is it a big city courthouse or small county seat?

Is your car parked close by on the street or blocks away?

Is there a nearby location that you can stash a small cache of tools?

How close is the nearest medical station (hospital/clinic/fire station)?

Are you up many stories or less than four stories?

How far away is sanctuary (home/office/friend's place)?

My recommendations:
1. Signaling - whistle, cell phone, flashlight, laser pointer, and orange bandana
2. Tools - ResQMe seatbelt cutter, flashlight (same as used for signaling), 10' metal tape measure, duct tape, zip ties, battery or crank powered cell phone charger, P38 army can opener, eyeglass repair kit, sewing kit
3. First aid - small kit with assorted guaze pads, bandaides, antiseptic wipes, ace-bandage, moleskin blister pads.
4. Person protective clothing - 95N dust mask, weather-appropriate hat, spare glasses, good shoes, small umbrella, and leather gloves. Sidenote: get your lenses made of polycarbonate material for extra protection.
5. Food/Water - 1 liter of bottled water (if allowed), otherwise scope out potential sources of water/juice/soda. For food some granola bars and beef jerky.
6. Self defense - car keys, aluminum briefcase, roll of quarters.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#124101 - 02/17/08 07:19 AM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: Blast]
JRR Offline

#124103 - 02/17/08 08:46 AM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: Blast]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
How about some EMT-sheers?

#124108 - 02/17/08 10:43 AM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: JIM]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Break your gear into a modular set up. What can go anywhere and what must stay out.

Blast has you fairly well covered with the carry into the building portion.

Since you are a regular get to know and make friends with the people at the door. They will usually be the same be the same people dsy after day. Since youhave taken the time to get to know them they might be willing to hold a package [your sharps and other metallic gear] for you.

If that is not possible. Leave the no go pack in your vehicle.

What you live in the city and use cabs instead of a car. Then the office.

Another option would be a rented storage locker at or near the courthouse. Then you could drop off what you carry normally. Or you could establish a cashe. Depending upon the size this could work a number of ways.

Something the size of a postal box would be a back up to a normal EDC set up. If you have to go with something much larger this could be up to a full BOB style rig.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#124113 - 02/17/08 02:11 PM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Blast,

I figured out the use of most of your Courthouse EDC list but have 2 questions.

-Laser Pointer, is this for signaling?
-10 foot metal Tape Measure - ???

Thanks,

Mike

#124114 - 02/17/08 02:17 PM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: SwampDonkey]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
SwampDonkey,

Yes, the lazer is for signaling though it might also be good for causing a diversion, scaring a gunman, or even blinding him if you are foolish enough to try.

The tape measure is one of those innocent looking items that gives you some raw material to improvise into other things. For instance, I once gave myself a nasty cut with a broken steel measuring tape.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#124117 - 02/17/08 02:35 PM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: Blast]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I would steer clear of plastic knives. While they might get you past the metal detector they could get you into a heap of trouble if you got caught with it on the inside.

The Honey Comb is interesting but do you really need a defensive stabbing weapon inside a courthouse? And what guy carries a round brush? wink

If you need a defensive weapon stick with the roll of quarters or something innocent.

For me, I'd make a pocket kit just for taking to court. Put it in a slim plastic case and don't put any metal in it. Glass, plastic, ceramic...you can't need that many things in a courthouse that you can't leave in your car.

#124118 - 02/17/08 02:39 PM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Good stuff, Blast..

The courts are in small towns and big cities, ground floors and ten stories up. My vehicle is within easy walking distance and would be my cache and first bug-out target.

Good idea to locate and be sure I know how to get to nearest fire station, hospital, etc. I will add this to my database for each court; I carry a printout each time I go a courtroom just in case.

1. Signaling: Laser pointers are verboten, the rest manageable.
2. Tools: Seatbelt cutter and can opener probably not acceptable, the rest manageable.
3. First aid: all manageable.
4. Person protective: all manageable.
5. Food/water: all manageable.
6. Self-defense: Aluminum briefcase probably not acceptable, the rest manageable.

JRR – I am in California and the HoneyComb is illegal here.

JM – EMT shears ok in the vehicle kit, no-go in the courthouse.

Thanks to all!

#124119 - 02/17/08 02:42 PM Re: EDC for the metal detector environment [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Good Morning Blast,

I too have cut myself on a tape measure when I released a large contruction model then grabbed the moving tape, DUH.

At work I daily carry a small one metre tape but never thought of it at a survival tool. The coiled steel spring within a tape measure may even be more valuable than the measuring tape itself?

I frequent courthouses in my rural area and there are no metal detectors at all. Security is usually just the one local Police Officer assigned to court duty that day. The only real thing to limit what you carry in court are the signs posted at the courtroom door, and they mostly tell you to turn off your cell phone and remove your hat.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 143 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.