Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#114732 - 12/04/07 06:01 PM Resilience can be learned...
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Interesting article found on MSNBC about being able to learn how to overcome obstacles in life. I think this ties into the concept of the will to survive. The article also suggests to me that you can also prepare mentally to be a survivor.

The authors also highlight the importance on relying on others to help us deal with adversity as well as using our lessons learned to help others.

Andy

#114737 - 12/04/07 06:23 PM Re: Resilience can be learned... [Re: Andy]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: Andy
The article also suggests to me that you can also prepare mentally to be a survivor.

I believe this is completely true. Funny enough, perusing the Equipped to Survive site is a great way to mentally prepare yourself! grin

#114814 - 12/05/07 01:13 PM Re: Resilience can be learned... [Re: JCWohlschlag]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Truer words were never spoken. My wife, who has survived a couple of really scary things in her life, has that mentality. It has served her well...

#114818 - 12/05/07 01:28 PM Re: Resilience can be learned... [Re: Andy]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

#114821 - 12/05/07 01:49 PM Re: Resilience can be learned... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've always advocated putting old teens/young adults into controlled but challenging environments, where there is an element of risk and a need for self motivation to get out of a bad situation on their own and as part of a team. I think that many of the problems young'uns face can be overcome with a confidence and will that they know they can face adversity and survive without having to find a mental escape as a crutch.

It is the sort of challenge that Teddy Roosevelt was always alluding to, the thing that tests the grit of every person and draws out the character that is needed to get by in this world, regardless of the drama going on around us.

If you are lucky enough to go through that sort of trial, then you don't likely need the approval of your fellow gangmember to affirm manhood, or the shelter of a bad husband to provide for your basic needs, or to live with your parents until you are 30 because you just can't find that easy going, high paying career playing video games and sleeping till 10:00 am every day.

#114822 - 12/05/07 02:02 PM Re: Resilience can be learned... [Re: benjammin]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: benjammin
they can face adversity and survive without having to find a mental escape as a crutch.

Mental escape is a great survival skill. I use it every night while I'm busting my ass at a job that I absolutely hate. While my body is working, my mind is somewhere out in the wilderness.

I think everyone uses a mental escape of one sort or another.

#114823 - 12/05/07 02:53 PM Re: Resilience can be learned... [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yes, let me specify, I am referring to an artificial application, such as booze, drugs, etc.

I had to find my "happy place" a few times over in Baghdad. I've also done it prior to going under the knife. I must admit, facing tachycardia and stomach cramps was a lot easier once they started the Promethazine drip. That's the sort of crutch I am referring to. If you can get by without it, you will be so much the better.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.