Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#112711 - 11/17/07 12:16 AM how do you tell the boss that I take meds?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

how do you guys tell the boss that you are on medication? The meds cause my drowsiness not laziness. I work hard, furiously but my meds cause my fatigue near end of the day. I don't want to lose my job.

#112712 - 11/17/07 12:34 AM Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? [Re: picard120]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm required by Federal Law to report the use of all prescription drugs & to produce the Rx bottle, properly labeled.

Some prescibed drugs require a waiver from the USCG in order for me to retain my pilot's license.

#112713 - 11/17/07 12:36 AM Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Kinda depends on the boss, and the job. My department required that I notify them of all prescription meds I took, so that choice was out of my hands. If you set at a desk, you might be able to get away with a little noddin', but if you operate heavy equipment or something, you might want to think of a career change until you are off the meds...

#112715 - 11/17/07 12:44 AM Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? [Re: wildman800]
technician Offline
Stranger

Loc: S Central Kansas
You might want to talk to your doctor about this. He can either change your prescription to something else, or he can write a letter to your employer that can explain the situation and be placed in your file. My wife has a couple of letters in her file explaining her medical condition, and also because she had a couple of bosses that harassed her until the letters were produced.

#112726 - 11/17/07 03:20 AM Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? [Re: technician]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Good advice from technician, get the input/documentation from your doctor first.

In my job I would be required to disclose to my employer anything that may be a safety concern (e.g. being sleepy while driving). I have had injuries before and was reassigned to other duties until the condition was corrected.

Good luck,

Mike

#112727 - 11/17/07 03:23 AM Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? [Re: picard120]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
With a doctor's note. Pretty hard to argue with, unless the reason for the meds or the meds themselves make you unable to perform your duties.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#112742 - 11/17/07 09:18 AM Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? [Re: ironraven]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
In my case, I have a very understanding supervisor. Some of my drugs are listed with the company MD - for instance, right now, I'm on Vicodin fairly regularly (which is why I happen to be up this early - needed a dose) - I have it on record so that if I get pulled on a "random drug test " I don't have a problem.

BTW I've never heard of the company actually DOING a test, but they have reserved the right to do so
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#112761 - 11/17/07 05:36 PM Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? [Re: picard120]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
All above is excellent advice.

One of my general rules for work is to not let the boss get blind-sided by something you know but did not tell him.

In my experience as both a boss and worker, it always seems to work out better if the boss knows about something like this up front. If he doesn't, and something happens, then it sounds like an excuse. I've heard most of them, and they seldom ring true when you first hear about it after the fact.

Going in with some documentation (e.g. a letter from the doctor) and saying words to the effect of "hey, I don't think there will be a problem, but thought you should know..." will probably be the best approach.

Good Luck

#112766 - 11/17/07 06:28 PM Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Why would the reason for your drowsiness be an excuse? If I was an employer I'd want my employees to be awake at work regardless of what meds they're on. Look for medication that doesn't put you to sleep.

#112779 - 11/18/07 01:05 AM Re: how do you tell the boss that I take meds? [Re: Russ]
hiker1 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
In the public sector, I have found that the American Disabilities Act has helped provide some protection for workers with medical conditions. Whether the ADA actually covers a situation or not, just bringing up the ADA in conversation can get results.

In some cases, employers are required to accommodate one's medical condition with special equipment or making changes to the work environment. I'm sure its a more persnickty problem in private enterprise.

Your medical condition should remain as private as you wish it to be; but keep in mind that if your medication affects your job performance, the boss will only see a job performance problem. Most good bosses will accommodate medical conditions and daily meds to keep productive experienced employees.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.