Topic Options
#6150 - 05/08/02 09:20 AM Best campsite joke
Anonymous
Unregistered

I wonder.....whats the best?????

#6151 - 05/08/02 02:44 PM Re: Best campsite joke
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bandit, One of my anthropology proffs. was a former anglican priest in the Philipines and S.E. Asia. He was doing research in Indonesia ( I forget which people) and learning the complicated stories behind many stars in the night sky. Some were ancestors, famous incidents or clan totems. After weeks of memorizing dozens of stars he remarked on one that slowly travelled across the night map that hadn't been mentioned. His instructor looked, pointed to it with his Parang. "that one? Yes, the one moving faster than the others." Oh, yes, that is a satellite."

#6152 - 05/08/02 06:38 PM Re: Best campsite joke
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
The scout councilor that taught me his star hike routine told me of his most memorable celestial encounter. Part of his routine would point out Cassiopeia, the queen reclining on her sofa. His bright flashlight pointing towards constellation near the horizon. To her right and up a bit is Cepheus, the king. [color:blue]"One day, the queen was so angry at the king that she threw her crown at him and here…"</font color=blue> At this point, without looking, he swings his am with the flashlight straight up over his head slightly behind and to the right of vertical. [color:blue]"… and here is were it landed!" </font color=blue> As the beam points directly towards Corona Borealus, the Crown.<br><br>On this occasion, however, when he swung his arm up in the air, his flashlight pointed directly to a meteor that had just flashed across the sky, burning up in the atmosphere. [color:blue]" … and here … is a meteor," </font color=blue> he said, without missing a beat. For the rest of the week, those scouts though he was a god for being able to predict the actual time and place a meteor would appear.

#109230 - 10/19/07 09:55 PM Re: Best campsite joke [Re: billvann]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

practical joke? joke about camping? or satirical memory from camping?

#109232 - 10/19/07 10:18 PM Re: Best campsite joke [Re: OutdoorDad]
LED Offline
Veteran

Peeing in the fire. Oops, sorry, I thought you said cruel campsite prank.

#109233 - 10/19/07 10:32 PM Re: Best campsite joke [Re: LED]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

There was a group of 12 of us out camping.. one guy was know for sleeping in and sleeping soundly.... the first morning, the rest of us got up, quietly packed up camp, and reset up camp around the point of the lake (some 125 yards away).. we took everything including the firewood shavings and footprints. Yep, we swept the ground with some branches, clearing our path.

It took him a couple hours to figure out where we were... we never told him that we moved camp. To this day he thinks he moved in his sleep!

That beat the time we slid his dome tent down to the edge of the lake so the door of his tent about an inch from the water.

#109272 - 10/20/07 02:27 AM Re: Best campsite joke [Re: Anonymous]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Practical? There is always the old warm water in the palm of the hand trick...

#109279 - 10/20/07 05:29 AM Re: Best campsite joke [Re: OldBaldGuy]
lukus Offline

Loc: TEXAS (where else?)
Not a joke, but a good story:

When I was in high school, a bunch of us were camping out at one of the state parks. Sometime in the night someone woke up to the noise of something snuffling around the campsite. He yelled and woke up the rest of us, except for one of the guys who complained about us making too much noise and snuggled further down into his sleeping bag. Flashlights clicked on and it turned out to be a racoon rummaging around where we had our hotdogs and other food.

We all sat and watched the racoon walk around the campsite checking everything out. Great big old gray racoon, and it wasn't worried about a thing, just taking his time. After a while of watching him, it almost got boring and the conversation just turned to regular teenaged boy conversation while we sorta kept track of where he was. Next thing we know, the racoon shuffles up to Ricky's sleeping bag (the only one of us still sleeping). Before we could do a thing, the racoon opens up the top of the bag and goes right in. We were all kind of "this is gonna get good/horrifed" speechless. We could see the lump of the racoon going to the bottom of the bag. Then, from out of the bag, we heard Ricky "You guys just won't let me sleep and I'm about to get pissed off!" Then someone started it, whispering loudly "Ricky....there's a racoon in your sleeping bag". Within a few seconds we're all doing loud whispers for Ricky to get out, "....there's a racoon in your bag."

Then Ricky, still deep in his sleeping bag says quite loudly "I'm about to kick someones ass!" Then Rick's head pops out of the top of the bag as he sits up. He looks down at the bump of the racoon at the foot of his bag, he looks around at all of us kind of confused looking. All of a sudden he realizes that we are NOT messing with him and it really IS a racoon. He shot out of that bag like it was a cannon shooting a high-pitched girl screaming cannonball.

All of the noise and commotion made the sleeping bag shoot a second furry and scared racoon cannonball out right behind Ricky. Ricky didn't slow down till he hit one of the trucks, and the racoon fired off through the underbrush and trees headed towards the next county.

It's still one of my better camping memories.

#109485 - 10/22/07 02:24 PM Re: Best campsite joke [Re: lukus]
OutdoorDad Offline
Journeyman

heck of a story! I bet they both left a little "treasure" in that bag on their rapid exit.

#109510 - 10/22/07 05:12 PM Re: Best campsite joke [Re: OutdoorDad]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I was camping with my best friend Joe, and my Future Brother in Law, oh 25+ years ago. We came in from 2 weeks out in the backwoods to the state campground, and rented a site, to wait for our lift in 2 days. The ranger warned us about the local racoon population.

Around 10pm that night, we hear some rustling, and my B-I-L says, let me go scare that raccon. Lew goes to chase off that Racoon, only to find it was a skunk - he backed off real quick, and yelled down to the next site "Be careful, you got a skunk heading your way" - we heard the warning get passed down around 6-7 campsites - then we heard "Bark bark bark YELP" - and a minute or to later, that nice pleasant order of skunk - someone didn't get the word
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 479 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.