Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Finger Lakes Rendezvous October 5th - 8th
(formerly PWYP-North)
Open to all, kids and dogs are welcome.

Finger Lakes National Forest, Hector NY
I've reserved the group campsite for Thursday October 4th through Monday October 8th. This should be in the heart of the fall foliage season.

Finger Lakes National Forest
The Finger Lakes National Forest encompasses 16,118 acres, nestled between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes in the Finger Lakes Region of New York State. The Forest has over 30 miles of interconnecting trails that traverse gorges, ravines, pastures, and woodlands.

1700+ ft Elevation.

The Finger Lakes National Forest District Headquarters is located at:

5218 State Route 414
Hector, NY 14841
(607) 546-4470

Contact me if you need more specific directions.

A couple of ways in....
DIRECTIONS
From the South, take State Route 17 to exit 52 (Watkins Glen exit/State Route 14 North). In Watkins Glen, turn right on State Route 414 North.
At the Fourth St. intersection go approx. 9 miles north, to the Hector Ranger Station. ½ mile past the Ranger Station turn right, Schuyler County Route 2. Go 4.4 miles east past County Route 4 to the “Tee” intersection. Turn left onto Potomac Rd and look for the signs for the Potomac Group
Campground.

From the North, take I-90 to exit 41 (State
Route 414 south to Hector, NY). The second asphalt road on the left past Wickham’s Plaza
(1/2 mile) is County Route 2. Turn left and go 4.4 miles east past County Route 4 to the “Tee” intersection. Turn left onto Potomac
Road and look for the signs for the Potomac Group Campground.

We will be in NY State wine country, so we should have wine on the menu, feel free to bring what you want.

The well pump at the site is DOA, so all water needs to be brought in. It's about a 200 yard walk to the campsite/cook shelter from the car park, along a well maintained but gated forest road. The cook shelter will be more than large enough to shelter us from foul weather, and there is a large forest service grill at the camping area. I'll have plenty of charcoal for group use.
I don't drink coffee, nor do I have a coffee pot, so hopefully someone will bring 1 or 2 for group use.

I will have a 4 wheel cart for the group to use to ferry gear in and out of the campsite.

Campsites can be woods or meadow sites, camping at the Potomac Group Campground is camp where you want as long as it is off the trails. There are two well maintained forest service deluxe toilets on-site.

Temps, Evening in the 30's are possible as are days in the 70's.

New York State DOES NOT honor any other state handgun carry permits, nor does it allow handgun possession. Unless you have a NY carry permit, or are current or qualified retired law enforcement, you are on your own if you bring a handgun into New York State. It's a felony.

Long guns are allowed should you so desire to bring one. There is no target shooting in the forest, but I am working on a area to shoot. New York State hunting and fishing regulations apply.

The Forest Service has 2 very nice toilets at the campsite.

We plan on a waterfall exploration side trip, and primitive tool and shelter building (dead and down).

Please email me sbraider2001@yahoo.com if you are interested in coming or have questions.

Stu

Edited by SBRaider (09/23/07 07:57 PM)

#106768 - 09/24/07 01:20 AM Re: NY Finger Lakes Rendezvous [Re: Stu]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Throw a log on the fire for me guys. I can only be there in spirit. frown

-Blast

Edited by Blast (09/24/07 01:21 AM)
Edit Reason: Only 16 words and still spelled one wrong
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#106776 - 09/24/07 01:53 AM Re: NY Finger Lakes Rendezvous [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

For you and the whole Blast family.

I spend a lot of time in NW Houston Near the 510 at TC Jester. I'd like to look you up if our schedules ever fit, smile

#106804 - 09/24/07 12:11 PM Re: NY Finger Lakes Rendezvous [Re: Stu]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
SBRaider,

Definately! That's close to us. Let me know if you are in town and up for a wilderness survival weekend! I know some great places out in nearby woods. Maybe we could drag some other local ETS-ers along. There's quite a few of them in the area.

Of course, there's also the steaks and beer thing if you can't make it into the woods...

-Blast

Edited by Blast (09/24/07 12:12 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#106830 - 09/24/07 04:49 PM Re: NY Finger Lakes Rendezvous [Re: Stu]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

there is no charge for this event.

#106833 - 09/24/07 04:59 PM Re: NY Finger Lakes Rendezvous [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Blast,
I'm game.

I always wanted to do a "survival weekend" near the San Louis cut on Galveston Island. Just with my BOB bag. Building shelter out of flotsam and jetsam, marsh grasses, etc. Fishing with my BOB fishing kit. Finding drinkable water, or distilling salt fresh. Almost like being stranded on a deserted island.
I'm open to the woods too....

As for the steaks, a dinner party at my Bud's house is always a possibility. He has a great pool and deck area. I've been known to cook up some fine fixings there.

#107064 - 09/26/07 03:22 PM Re: NY Finger Lakes Rendezvous [Re: Stu]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Finger Lakes Rendezvous October 5th - 8th
(formerly PWYP-North)
There are two well maintained forest service deluxe toilets on-site.

Forest service deluxe toilets??

Up here that would mean there is a door on the outhouse for privacy and a roll of TP in stock....

#107094 - 09/26/07 07:40 PM Re: NY Finger Lakes Rendezvous [Re: ]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

This will be a good weekend of camping, gear swapping, BOB kit sharing and gear reviews for those who attend.

Bark River Knives , Oak a Four Seasons Survival and others have donated gear for a giveaway drawing.

#107133 - 09/27/07 02:57 AM Re: NY Finger Lakes Rendezvous [Re: Stu]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i did not read all the posts in this thread but i'm sure
we would like to see lots of photos..

#107542 - 10/02/07 02:15 PM Re: NY Finger Lakes Rendezvous [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

We will see what we can do regarding photos!
Anyone in the area is welcome to stop on by and visit or join us, just let me know.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.