Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#103758 - 08/28/07 02:03 AM need bathtub cleaner agent /how to cut hardwater
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

How do I reduce the build up of calcification of hard water in bathtub after using the shower?

The tap water contains chlorine, calcium minerals. Is there a way to filter this stuff out of shower head so the water is free of minerals when I take a shower?

I spent several times a week cleaning the bathtub and bathroom tiles with comet. This stuff contains bleach powder that scrub the tub clean but it also cause scratches.

I am looking for an alternative liquid cleaner that doesn't scratch the tub but also clean the bathtub well like Mr. Clean grin

#103765 - 08/28/07 02:50 AM Re: need bathtub cleaner agent /how to cut hardwat [Re: ]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
Vinegar that is "held" in place with salt-lots of salt. Saw it work on one of those cleaning shows I watch to see disgusting things like the rat skull the found under a pile of junk in someone's house. sick The salt keeps the vinegar in place but also works as an abrasive after you've let it set awhile, apparently.

#103768 - 08/28/07 03:01 AM Re: need bathtub cleaner agent /how to cut hardwater [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Scrubbing bubbles and a sponge with the scratchy side works great for us...

#103774 - 08/28/07 04:09 AM Re: need bathtub cleaner agent /how to cut hardwat [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

vinegar - as mentioned - to clean the tough spots, then squeegee after every shower then spray with 'clean shower' - sold everywhere. cuts cleaning way back.

in re: abrasives, 'bartender's friend' or 'bon ami' will do the same thing as comet, but w/o scratching...

#103793 - 08/28/07 10:56 AM Re: need bathtub cleaner agent /how to cut hardwater [Re: picard120]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
You can't filter it out as the calcium is dissolved in the water. The film and crud left behind is calcium that is left over when the water evaporates or that has mixed with soap to create soap "scum".

Water softeners are the least expensive way to remove calcium (and magnesium) and replace it the calcium ions with sodium (from sodium chloride - the salt in water softeners). Sodium has an advantage in that it doesn't leave the massive deposits, those deposits it does leave are easily re-dissolved, and it doesn't react with soaps to form a scum. Of course the sodium isn't good for peole with blood pressure and related health problems through.

I'd advise you invest in a water softener - I got mine from Sears. Modern water softeners shouldn't leave the water tasting odd at all. They are very salt and energy efficient - MUCH better than older ones.

The only other way to remove calcium is through distillation and reverse osmosis. Distillation involves heating water until it evaporates and then convert the steam into calcium-free water - but that leaves messy calcium behind and costs a lot to heat the water. Reverse osmosis uses pressure to drive pure water across a membrane leaving a calcium-rich brine on the other side - think of it as using a really really fine filter, but the equipment is pretty expensive.

Cleaning calcium deposits usually involves use of an acid solution (of differing strengths) to dissolve the calcium. Vinegar, Lime-away, and CLR are common cleaners all work this way.

The other approach is to remove the water from the surfaces, either using a squeegie or wiping with a towel. This has worked very well for me in the past, though eventually you'll need to apply a cleaner to get the calcium deposits you've missed. Just keep a "wiping towel" handy and use it everytime the surface gets wet.

The problem with cleaning and surface water removal is that it still doesn't stop the calcium from building up in and corroding pipes. In the long run the water softener is really the best and cheapest solution.

Ken K.

#103807 - 08/28/07 01:48 PM Re: need bathtub cleaner agent /how to cut hardwater [Re: KenK]
justin2006 Offline

Loc: New Mexico
I'd also recommend a water softener. I live in New Mexico and have exceptionally hard water from a well source.

When I researched water softeners, I decided against the $3000 Kinetico system. I instead researched and eventually purchased a "Clack WS-1" unit over the internet from Gary Slusser:

http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/

I installed the unit myself, so total costs were around $650, and I do believe (with my limited experience) that the "Clack WS-1" lives up to its hype and IS the best water softener control head available on the market.

Do some research about the water softener units sold at Home Depot or other big-box stores -- you'll find a lot of horror stories about the units failing after only a few years of use, and high expenses to replace parts. Then compare that with the Clack WS-1; or call and talk with Gary Slusser.

Disclaimer: I'm not associated with Gary Slusser nor do I have anything to do with water softeners, except the one in my house.

Justin

#103851 - 08/28/07 08:52 PM Re: need bathtub cleaner agent /how to cut hardwater [Re: justin2006]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I live with high-mineral water too, from a well. Probably not the same chemistry as yours, but here are some thoughts.

As far as cleaners go ...

By using Comet etc. you've probably created extra surface area, with all the micro scratches, that make the buildup more tenacious than ever. I wonder if buffing or refinishing is possible? Car wax (crazy idea)?

CLR works, but you have to rinse it after.

Vinegar works too, though more slowly. Look for higher concentrations: pickling vinegar is 7% (as opposed to the standard 5%) and works a lot better; and some granola-greenie-eco-stores sell stuff that's 50%, which is strong enough to eat through paint or eyeballs, I guess.

#103884 - 08/29/07 01:55 AM Re: need bathtub cleaner agent /how to cut hardwater [Re: dougwalkabout]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Regular white vinegar works pretty well, esp if you can let it set for 10-20 minutes, then work on it with a rough nylon scrubber.

Once you've cleaned it, I've read where you can use PASTE car wax to keep it clean longer, but I haven't tried it. I'm not sure this would be good on the bottom of a shower or bathtub, as it might create a slippery surface... you might want to try a small spot first.

Sue

#103946 - 08/29/07 02:05 PM Re: need bathtub cleaner agent /how to cut hardwater [Re: ]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I thought people used a pumice for this?...hard but not hard enough to scratch porcelin (?sp).

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.