Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102809 - 08/17/07 11:55 AM Hurricane Dean & HurCon's
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Situation:
Fact #1: I am on "hold" in Freeport, Tx; pending further orders.

Fact #2: Hurricane Dean expected landfall: Wed pm - Thu am.

Fact #3: Proper Planning Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

My plans (at this time):
Sun 0600-set HurCon IV (top off water tanks)
Mon 0600-set HurCon III (try to replenish groceries onboard)
Tue 0600-set HurCon II (Batten down hatches and secure barges OR sortie on evasive manuevers)
Wed 0600-set HurCon I (Arrive & establish hurricane moorings if/as needed OR maintain evasive course & speed).
Wed 1800-Hang on w/Main Diesel Engines(MDE's) on the line, Material Condition Zebra set throughout all vessels).

Question(s):
1) If you're in this projected landfall cone, have you started making plans and preps?
2) If not, when do you expect to start planning/preps? (Expect
store supplies to be exhausted quickly w/o any restocking soon)

Just some food for thought.

#102810 - 08/17/07 11:59 AM Re: Hurricane Dean & HurCon's [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Material Condition Zebra..."

10-9???

#102811 - 08/17/07 12:10 PM Re: Hurricane Dean & HurCon's [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...Material Condition Zebra..."

10-9???
It's been a while, I had to look it up. . . Material conditions explaned -- it's a level of water tightness/survivability of the ship.
Quote:
Condition XRAY provides the least watertight integrity and the greatest ease of access throughout the ship. It is set when the threat to the ship is minimal. Condition XRAY is set during working hours when the ship is in port and there is no danger of attack or from weather. The minimum degree of tightness permitted on an operational ship is condition XRAY. When condition XRAY is set, all fittings marked with a black X are closed.

Condition YOKE provides a greater degree of watertight integrity than condition XRAY, but to a lesser degree than the maximum condition. YOKE is normally set at sea and in port during wartime. When Condition Yoke is set, all fittings marked with black Xs and Ys, Circle X and Circle Y are closed. A modified condition YOKE is sometimes used at sea when cruising independently in good weather and calm seas and in port in peacetime. In the modified condition, YOKE fittings above the waterline are left open to improve ventilation and habitability. All other XRAY and YOKE fittings are closed.

Condition ZEBRA provides the greatest degree of subdivision and water-tight integrity to the ship. It is the maximum state of readiness for the ship's survivability system. Condition ZEBRA is set: Immediately and automatically when general quarters is sounded; When entering or leaving port in wartime; To localize damage and control fire and flooding when the crew is not at general quarters; and At any time the CO deems the maximum condition of survivability should be set. When condition ZEBRA is set, all fittings marked with black Xs and Ys, Circle X, Circle Y, Circle Z, red Zs and DOG Zs are closed.

#102812 - 08/17/07 12:16 PM Re: Hurricane Dean & HurCon's [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

MatCon Zebra means every hatch and door is sealed according to it's design, but air conditioning and ventilation remains online. Its the maximum level of protection against flooding/sinking.

#102813 - 08/17/07 12:22 PM Re: Hurricane Dean & HurCon's [Re: Russ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I'm in the caymans, and Dean is projected to be a cat 4 by the time it hits jamacia. So that means it'll be about a cat 4 here and making almost a strait run at us.

Most things are already sold out on the island as people are getting smarter this time around. Since I thought of that already, I had pretty much everything bought already. Just needed to get a top off of gas in all vechiles, top off propane in two 20lb cylinders, top off of bottle water.

My hurricane kit is enough to keep 8 people going for about 3 weeks. I can also house 8 people confortably at home. In fact my place is a mini hurricane shelter for some friends that are willing to stay here during a hurricane.

Home is a hurricane resistant home thats 7 feet above sea level (on pillars), and about mid island as you can get here.

Now Just have to close all hurricane shutters, park one car in a safe spot, and keep the crap car for driving.

Then probably hitch a ride on the evac flight.

#102815 - 08/17/07 12:54 PM Re: Hurricane Dean & HurCon's [Re: wildman800]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I need to fill the aquatainers, otherwise we are set. The pantry is stuffed to overflowing, we have plenty of diapers, babywipes, batteries, and catfood on hand. Oh, and probably too many radios... blush

Hmmm, I will need to police the yard for stray objects if it looks like we'll be hit. I also need to reopen some drainage zones to avoid any problems with water in the back yard. I have the custom plywood covers for the windows sitting in the garage but I'm really hoping I won't have to install them. They are a real pain to put up.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#102817 - 08/17/07 01:07 PM Supplies that matter!!! [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The baby Wipes, Disposable Diapers, and trashbags/gallon size Ziplocks,,,,,These are MOST important!!

You have your priorities straight, Blast!!!!

#102820 - 08/17/07 01:54 PM Re: Hurricane Dean & HurCon's [Re: Kris]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Kris
I'm in the caymans, and Dean is projected to be a cat 4 by the time it hits . . .
Home is a hurricane resistant home thats 7 feet above sea level (on pillars), and about mid island as you can get here. . .
Good luck, hope your preps get you and your friends through safely.

#102843 - 08/17/07 05:41 PM Re: Hurricane Dean & HurCon's [Re: Russ]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
To everyone that's in the zone where Dean will eventually land, where ever that is: Good Luck and our thoughts and prayers are with you!

#102862 - 08/17/07 08:56 PM Re: Hurricane Dean & HurCon's [Re: Russ]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: RAS
Originally Posted By: Kris
I'm in the caymans, and Dean is projected to be a cat 4 by the time it hits . . .
Home is a hurricane resistant home thats 7 feet above sea level (on pillars), and about mid island as you can get here. . .
Good luck, hope your preps get you and your friends through safely.

Thanks man... when it hits i'll be in miami enjoy some nice shopping hoping my house is still there when i come home. Its the clean up after a hurricane i'm not fond of.

Good luck to all in the Dean path.

Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.