Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#102324 - 08/11/07 02:17 AM what are common illness affect vacation travellers
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

What are common illness that affect vacation travellers?
What medications can one bring along to prepare for this emergency?

norwalk flu
dysentery
diarrhea
.....etc ???

#102325 - 08/11/07 02:30 AM Re: what are common illness affect vacation travel [Re: picard120]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
You'll find useful information — by country and region — on the Travelers' Health pages at the CDC's website.

Dan

#102340 - 08/11/07 05:23 PM Re: what are common illness affect vacation travel [Re: xbanker]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
You can always bet on getting a case of the runs if you drink the local water.

#102343 - 08/11/07 05:50 PM Re: what are common illness affect vacation travel [Re: Themalemutekid]
Misanthrope Offline

Loc: Chicago burbs
Thank God for imodium, pepto and benadryl.. Seems gimpy guts are the most common occurence I have run into. Don't know the cause, change in diet or what, but those three always stay in the FAK.

M

#102344 - 08/11/07 06:40 PM Re: what are common illness affect vacation travel [Re: Misanthrope]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Food Poisoning, Gastritis, Diarhea, sunburn, bug bites, splinters, chapped skin, dermatitis, athlete's foot, jock itch, ringworm, hayfever, eye irritations, respiratory inflammation are all things I've experienced more than once on my travels. Thank God I haven't encountered anything worse, like lice.

Here's my list of must haves, from Baghdad to Brisbane and points in between:

Immodium
Pepto Bismol
Benadryl
Aspirin
Ibuprofren
Simethicone
Visine AC or Allergy Relief
Nizoral
SPF 30 sunscreen
Campho-Phenique
Mucinex

#102353 - 08/12/07 12:35 AM Re: what are common illness affect vacation travel [Re: benjammin]
bat69 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fl, USA
Hmm.. I've had a "bit" of experience with this so here goes.

I would first and foremost suggest a visit to your family doctor and inform him on where you are planning on going.

Prior to the visit head to the World Health Organization website , as well as the CDC ( center for disease control ) and see exactly what diseases/illnesses are currently prevalent in the location you are traveling to. "an ounce of prevention is worth a pond of cure" rings really true in these cases.

Pardon the caps: MAKE SURE YOUR VACCINATIONS ARE CURRENT.

Yellow fever, smallpox, and ESPECIALLY hepatitis. You can get hepatitis from tainted food. Dont' fiddle with it, it can kill you.

If you are heading into an area where malaria is a common ailment, ask for a prophylaxis medication.

A great website to browse is :

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/tables.htm

Invest in a mosquito net, a really good, high quality one. I can't stress this enough. Make sure to pack some high percentage DEET lotion or spray as well.

USE THE MOSQUITO NET. Even if you are in a hotel room that is air conditioned. ( but ESPECIALLY if you are in an open air environment ) It's the BEST way to protect yourself from mosquito bourne illness, period. Carry a small kit with a few cup hook screws so you can effectively hang the net. Trust me, you can fill the small hole from the screws with toothpaste and no one will know.

As far as food and water bourne illnesses are concerned:

( i realize I'm probably sounding "preachy" here.. Please forgive me...)

Thats kind of a "russian roulette" issue to a small degree.

In most third world countries: ( mexico, latin america, south america, western and south east asia, and ESPECIALLY AFRICA , and INDIA )

- Never ever, ever, ever, eat from an open air vendor on the street, or in a market place unless you see the food being thoroughly cooked to well done before your eyes. In fact, the best advice is to NOT do it. Stick to established, places that are known to be relatively safe.

A SUPER place to go and get travel guides that are remarkably current is: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/ I've used these and have been VERY happy with them.

- This sounds like common sense but:

- Don't eat fresh fruit,or locally grown produce..EVER..

UNLESS it is in an establishment that has been scrutinzed quite well, and has strict hygene practices. (I'm talking about a big name hotel like Hyatt, Hilton, Raddison, etc.) These resorts cater to foreigners and are very good at washing/sterilizing food items. The are not 100% however, and you still can get sick in some of them.

- Drink only bottled water, have NO ice in any drink. (This is where a MIOX would come in handy. Meaning, if you need water just fill up a bottle fron the tap and treat it. HINT, HINT . and if not a MIOX, a Visine bottle full of bleach..)

- Carry some hand sanitizer in a rucksak and use it often. ( gel alcohol type. ) ESPECIALLY before you touch your mouth after handling goods and wares in a marketplace or bazar.

As far as medications go:

I personally carry a LEGAL perscription for the following when I travel outside of the US:

Lomotil - This is to treat severe diarrhea in adults. It will lock your intestines up like a bank vault. Use caution in giving it to children. And be sure to drink plenty of filtered water.

Compazine - This is an especially powerful anti-nausea drug. But, it can stop the heaves, trust me.

Benadryl - Super for allergies, and can help someone sleep easily, especially children and pets.

Valium/Xanex - has a very calming affect and can come in handy in stressful situations.

Keflex - Keflex is an antibiotic. Keflex is used to treat many different types of bacterial infections such as bronchitis, tonsillitis, ear infections, skin infections, and urinary tract infections. it can be a life saver.

The basics are handy as well. I always travel with aspirin, cough drops, eyedrops, some small foils of neosporin, bandaids, and other things.... Like a few packets of gatorade powder, sunscreen, a nail clipper, etc..

Sorry for the long rambling post. I hope it helps.

#102354 - 08/12/07 12:44 AM Re: what are common illness affect vacation travel [Re: bat69]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: bat69
USE THE MOSQUITO NET. Even if you are in a hotel room that is air conditioned. ( but ESPECIALLY if you are in an open air environment ) It's the BEST way to protect yourself from mosquito bourne illness, period. Carry a small kit with a few cup hook screws so you can effectively hang the net. Trust me, you can fill the small hole from the screws with toothpaste and no one will know.

Might I suggest those 3M Command Adhesive Hooks you can find in the grocery store instead? They stick quite well, hold quite a bit of weight, and are fully removable with no damage to surfaces.

I do however like the idea of filling holes with toothpaste! Besides, some hotels deserve a few holes in the walls. They'd probably improve the decor in some of those rooms.

#102382 - 08/12/07 08:15 PM Re: what are common illness affect vacation travel [Re: Misanthrope]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

recent group of 200 canadians were ill at Dominican republic.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/10082007/3/canada-b-c-couple-among-200-hit-illness-dominican-resort.html

would benadryl stop the runs?
what drug can stop the norwalk virus?

#102392 - 08/12/07 11:06 PM Re: what are common illness affect vacation travel [Re: picard120]
LED Offline
Veteran

Is it always recommended to use anti-diarrheal medications? I've read that its sometimes good to let your body "flush out" whatever is in there causing the illness. Unless of course its something that anchors onto your intestine like giardia and needs to be eradicated with medication.

#102428 - 08/13/07 05:49 AM Re: what are common illness affect vacation travel [Re: LED]
frostbite Offline

Loc: TN
On one of the medical shows on tv a boy on a scout trip ate a small piece of uncooked hamburger and got serious diarrhea, his family was giving him stuff to stop it, but that was exactly the wrong thing to do according to the doctors.

Also, with urinary tract infections drinking lots of liquids is recommended, it helps push the infection out of the system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 471 Guests and 198 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.