Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#100880 - 07/26/07 07:58 PM Best way to post pics here...?
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Is there an easy to imbed pictures in a post here?

Teacher

#100883 - 07/26/07 08:46 PM Re: Best way to post pics here...? [Re: teacher]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Probably the best way to embed images into your posts is to use a service such as ImageShack. You can simply upload any image to them, and they give you several ways to link to that image.

For forum use, generally there are only two of the linking options that are useful.

For larger images (in pixel size), the best way to link to it is the "Thumbnail for forums (1)" link, which puts a small thumbnail image in the post that users can click on to see the whole image.

Code: {URL=http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=foresttc4.jpg}{IMG}http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9610/foresttc4.th.jpg{/IMG}{/URL}
(Replace "{" and "}" with "[" and "]", respectively.)

For smaller images (in pixel size), you can enclose the "Direct link to image" in IMG tags, which simply puts the image itself (not a thumbnail) into your post. You may also use the thumbnail option described above if you wish and if available.

Code: {IMG}http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/4305/rookdz5.jpg{/IMG}
(Replace "{" and "}" with "[" and "]", respectively.)

I believe these are the best ways to include images into forum posts. If any of the admins have any other input, please feel free to include it.

#100886 - 07/26/07 09:42 PM Re: Best way to post pics here...? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
We don't have image hosting turned on, because it would kill the server bandwidth.

It's not hard to put images on another server - like photobucket.com, imageshack.com or some such, and just click on the image icon and paste the URL of your picture into a post.

If you don't know how to do that, reply to this post and I'll make a step-by-step guide and post it here.

#100890 - 07/26/07 09:50 PM Re: Best way to post pics here...? [Re: MartinFocazio]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
We don't have image hosting turned on, because it would kill the server bandwidth.

It's not hard to put images on another server - like photobucket.com, imageshack.com or some such, and just click on the image icon and paste the URL of your picture into a post.

If you don't know how to do that, reply to this post and I'll make a step-by-step guide and post it here.

Oh, yeah! There's that little Image Button, too! laugh I guess my preference to raw coding is showing through. blush

#100892 - 07/26/07 10:08 PM Re: Best way to post pics here...? [Re: JCWohlschlag]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Like they said, the short of it is that you need to post your pictures into one of the many photo-hosting sites. ImageShack.com seems to be the free service that is most geared toward hosting pics for forums. I like that it will auto-size the picture for its intented use.

I actually store most of my personal pics of vacations and family activities on Smugmug.com, but I only share that address with friends and family.

Once the picture is out there on the web somewhere, find out what its URL (web address) is, and then just enter/paste the URL for that picture into your forum message using the image button.

#100936 - 07/27/07 01:44 PM Re: Best way to post pics here...? [Re: KenK]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
If the picture is not yours, you just have to right click on the picture, select properties in the menu and copy/paste the URL. This is so called hotlinking and considered to be bandwidth theft in situations where you would put this image on your own website without the permission of the owner.

#100968 - 07/27/07 06:14 PM Re: Best way to post pics here...? [Re: Frankie]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Frankie
This is ... considered to be bandwidth theft in situations where you would put this image on your own website without the permission of the owner.

Yeah, good point. I got scolded in a forum for doing that somewhere along the road.

These days I only do it if I'm promoting a product that the source site sells. Even then, if its something I post a lot of pics of (like Dougs Mk3 fixed blade knife), then I'll just download the pic and upload it to my own ImageShack location - to avoid pulling bandwidth from someone.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.