Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98152 - 06/22/07 11:20 AM Shopping in the US
simplesimon Offline

'Good Europeans don't die; they go shopping in the US'

I'm expecting to fit a trip in this year, or at least unleash her ladship with my credit cards (share my pain) on an unsuspecting New York.
When is the best time to shop for outdoor gear there? I think hunting is a winter sport there so are the January sales actually a bad time?
Simon

#98156 - 06/22/07 12:09 PM Re: Shopping in the US [Re: simplesimon]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
New York is probably too miserable for hunting in winter. Most likely lots of their hunting is November or April.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/hunting.html

Personally, I hate winters in that region. Sept. is late enough to avoid most of the tourist crowds. Probably catch some end-of-summer sales, maybe some "new" winter gear.

#98158 - 06/22/07 01:01 PM Re: Shopping in the US [Re: MDinana]
simplesimon Offline

I don't hunt, but thought it was a mass sport there (hardly anyone does in england). so wondered if that affected sales of outdoor gear generally. just don't want her ladyship coming back with tents, waterproofs,sleeping bags etc in january and telling me it would be half the price a few months later.
simon

#98170 - 06/22/07 03:41 PM Re: Shopping in the US [Re: simplesimon]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
Really depends on the area as to when sales happen. Most of the major retailers (BassPro Shops, Cabelas, REI, Campmor) have continous sales on various items. In Oklahoma for example, BassPro always has a huge sale around the start of Summer on coolers, family tents..that kind of stuff. I have generally adapted the principle that if it's quality and the product I want...I just get it. Yeah, there can be buyers remorse if three days later you see it goes on sale, but if she's back from the trip...you wouldn't be able to take advantage of it anyway.

Good luck.

#98174 - 06/22/07 04:05 PM Re: Shopping in the US [Re: Hghvlocity]
simplesimon Offline

Thanks.
Sounds like it's different to here, no one would have a sale on summer camping stuff at the start of summer. I'll take my luck then; Like you; I'm used to the signs in the windows 'reduced following simons's purchase'.
simon

#98182 - 06/22/07 05:22 PM Re: Shopping in the US [Re: simplesimon]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
I'm used to the signs in the windows 'reduced following simons's purchase'.

ROTFL! grin

Is she just stuck in New York City. There's got to be an EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) store somewhere for her to hit. Of course, if there is your wallet will really be the one hit...

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#98212 - 06/23/07 12:16 AM Re: Shopping in the US [Re: simplesimon]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Oh man... As a New Yorker I can point you into right directions but very few "natives" shops for stuff in the stores. We go and look but when it comes to gear we order it on line to save 8.75% tax and prices are also cheaper. The best time for sale on gear is february/march as in when a lot of companies start introducing their spring gear.

What kind of stuff you are looking for? I may be able to comply a list of stores or point you into right direction.

#98228 - 06/23/07 05:48 AM Re: Shopping in the US [Re: simplesimon]
Urbanite Offline

Let's see, if you're coming later this year, there are the fall/back to school sales, the Thanksgiving sales and the pre and post Christmas sales among others.

As mentioned in other posts, prices are steep and selection is not that great. However, since the following are also close to or in city sights/attractions, they are worth a visit.

City Hall/World Trade Site area, Tent and Trails a small cramped multilevel store crammed with outdoor stuff on Park Place. (if shopping is the game also hit J&R for electronics and Century 21 for clothes) Hungry? Go to nearby Chinatown or Little Italy instead of the typical fast food joints.

Traveling uptown to SOHO you'll find an EMS outpost on Broadway just South Of Houston (where else?!) Also boutiques, galleries and the like.

Keep going uptown through Greenwich Village and just north of Union Square you will come across Paragon Sports probably the biggest and most well known of the in city stores.

Got a car? A half hour out of the city is Campmor.

They all have websites for more info.

Have Fun!

#98297 - 06/24/07 12:34 PM Re: Shopping in the US [Re: Urbanite]
simplesimon Offline

Thanks that's very helpful of you.
New York is one of the places we'll visit. We'll probably stay with friends in New Jersey. So the time of year to go and names of chains of stores would be the most useful. Or is it best to simply shop on the net?
I need just about everything for backpacking and camping. Been putting off upgrading my gear for too long. Tents, sleeping bags, mats, boots, clothing, stoves....In fact I've barely bought anything in a decade so need a winter coat, summer coat, suits, shirts......Just think of me as being born full grown today! And (guess what) I'm pessimistic enough to want some survival gear in there in case I get lost.
So the best times of year and chains are?
simple simon

#98300 - 06/24/07 02:03 PM Re: Shopping in the US [Re: simplesimon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I'd concur with Urbanite, you're not going to find much in NYC for outdoors gear like what we have out west in the Mountain states. Upstate New York gets better, and Pennsylvania has a lot more to offer. Forget about New Jersey. They don't even have a Gander Mountain in that state, anywhere. I've given up on trying to find a decent sporting goods outfit within 100 miles of my home. The best I can do is a "Dicks Sporting Goods", which is pretty poor from my point of view. Basically it is a glorified clothing store for runner, bicyclists, and water sportsmen. They have token fishing and hunting supplies, but their prices and policies pretty much discourage you from making such purchases.

More and more, I am compelled to order stuff from the internet. It is usually cheaper, more convenient, and I can find what I want. The sooner I can get out of northeast area, the better. There's no room for a Burt Gummer type like myself. Imagine, Burt Gummer meets the Sopranos. You should hear us talk up at the barber shop. A big Irish Texan talking politics and business with a bunch of wiseguys. They are right, I don't belong in their world anymore than they in mine. Unfortunately, work is work. I do like the pizza.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.