Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97502 - 06/14/07 07:47 PM New tinder ( for me anyway)
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I way fooling around in the garage and working on my differt types of tinder when I thought of the fine ceader shavings in my pencel sharpener. I remove a small amount (about the size of a dime) and placed it on top of my metal work bench. With the camp stove sparker I was able to bring it to flame in no time.

This may not be news to some of you, but I have not seen it mentioned on this site before. So dig out your small plastic bags and fill them up with ceader shavings and the next time you need some fast starting tinder you have a bunch.

#97511 - 06/14/07 08:43 PM Re: New tinder ( for me anyway) [Re: big_al]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It seems to me, that shavings from wood being drilled would, for the same reasons, be excellent tender as well.

#97512 - 06/14/07 08:48 PM Re: New tinder ( for me anyway) [Re: NightHiker]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I just went out in the shop and scraped some shavings into a pile on a cookie sheet. I managed to get them ablaze but it wasn;t as if they were begging for spark. It took a little effort which was allright. They're so fine they burn pretty quick. I'm going to enlist my daughter to save her shavings.

I feel dumb. I've worked wood for more than 30 years and I never even knew pencil shavings were cedar!

Good tip!

#97519 - 06/14/07 09:44 PM Re: New tinder ( for me anyway) [Re: Stretch]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Adding some melted wax to the shavings will make it burn longer. Not sure about hotter, but definitely longer.

#97523 - 06/14/07 10:02 PM Re: New tinder ( for me anyway) [Re: aloha]
thtimster Offline

If you carried a small plastic pencil sharpener with your tinder kit you could make shavings in the field using sticks or a pencil that you bring along for message writing anyway. Even wet sticks would make dry(ish) tinder if the sticks aren't completely waterlogged.

#97527 - 06/14/07 10:46 PM Re: New tinder ( for me anyway) [Re: aloha]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Aloha,
You just sparked an idea. For awhile I was experimenting with steel wool, cotton balls and paraffin oil. I still carry both (one or the other in a kit) soaked in the oil in my PSKs. They're wrapped up in wax paper like little tinder quicks. I think I'll try that oil with the shavings.

#97552 - 06/15/07 02:39 AM Re: New tinder ( for me anyway) [Re: Stretch]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

wildman800:
the pencel sharpner shavings are finer than drill wood shavings and catch a spark and hold it faster.

Aloha:
I have not tryed to mix anything with the shaving as I want them dry. That way I will have no mess inside of my PSK if a bag gets broken from trying to shove it in a small space.

#97567 - 06/15/07 07:14 AM Re: New tinder ( for me anyway) [Re: big_al]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I carry some cedar shavings with some wax in it. It feels dry to the touch even after being left out in the hot tropical sun. I carry it in a ziplock bag along with some fatwood and scrounged tinder. My favorite in Hawaii is the bark from a paperbark tree. I have since found that Eucalyptus bark is about the same. They have a little oily feel to them even though they are bone dry. Makes a great tinder bundle and lights with a spark.

The waxed cedar shavings and fatwood are for when my firewood is wet. I am not too proud to admit to cheating a little bit.

That combination, the bark tinder bundle and a stick or two of fatwood, gets a nice fire started fast (assuming the kindling and fire wood is all prepped first) even when the wood is wet.

One of the older boys at our camp was having a really hard time with making fire. Even with my campfire made, he had a hard time getting his going. He threw a bunch of sticks in a pile, shoved one stick in the fire briefly and immediately yanked it out and roughly shoved it into his pile. And he was getting frustrated and couldn't figure out why his stuff wasn't aflame. He kept asking me to help him and show him how.

After I got him to go ask permission from his dad, I showed him. And since he was a boy, I explained that he needed to treat the fire like a lady (I told him girl since he was early teens I think, but I meant lady). I told him he needed to be gentle and patient and to pay attention to the fire. And he needed to feed it the right things. Etc. Well he finally got it going and man was he happy! I didn't want to burst his bubble by telling him he basically lit his fire with mine. Maybe next time, he will do it from scratch.

#97580 - 06/15/07 02:08 PM Re: New tinder ( for me anyway) [Re: aloha]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Treat a fire like a lady... Quite true.

Did you also tell him that from time to time, for no apparent reason, he'll get burnt?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#97625 - 06/16/07 01:36 AM Re: New tinder ( for me anyway) [Re: thseng]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Been there, done that. More than once I am sorry to say...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 394 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.