Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#97438 - 06/14/07 08:28 AM Coffee
LED Offline
Veteran

Well, being a big coffee drinker, its essential I start the day off with a nice steaming cup of black gold. Camping, and especially backpacking, its a challenge to make good coffee to say the least. Over the years I've used everything under the sun including, coffee bags, instant, percolator, coffee press, cowboy coffee, pre-made, etc. But so far the easiest method (with the best taste results, easy cleanup, and least excess equipment) is using a standard manual cone filter that sits on top of the mug where you just pour in boiling water over the grains. My manual cone filter holder is actually a filter holder from a broken Black and Decker coffee maker. Its plastic, holds a #4 filter(the big one), and is lightweight. Along with a ziplock bag of pre-ground coffe, I pack either sugar packets or honey, and some individual liquid coffee-mate creamer packets(no need to refrigerate). Look, if I have to I'll drink whatever's there to get the day started. I'm talking about preference here. Whats your method for the camping cup a joe?

#97439 - 06/14/07 08:59 AM Re: Coffee [Re: LED]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I take an enameled coffee pot and prepackaged coffee (the same ones found in motel rooms) and this has satisfied my needs, in the field.

I bring packets of sugar & cream IF, someone else is along who likes that in their coffee. Me, I'm too lazy to bother mixing that stuff into my coffee.

#97440 - 06/14/07 09:05 AM Re: Coffee [Re: LED]
stargazer Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Idaho, USA
I am also a big coffee drinker. I usually start the AM with plenty of coffee. When outdoors, I prefer the cowboy coffee method. I was just thinking of replacing my old pot as it now has a hole in it. frown I am looking to buy a GSI outdoors 6 cup stainless percolator pot. I prefer this type to drip coffee. If I am on a overnighter, I don't mind the Nescafe instant in the pouch. I have even tried Folger's singles, but I don't prefer the taste. I don't really mind the clean-up because on some outdoor camp outs I usually do a Dutch Oven meal and live by the philosophy of I cooked it, you clean-up. I put the coffee into a 12 ounce insulated mug. Small, I know, but one advantage is the lid from a Pringles chip canister fits snuggly and has more than once kept coffee off of the floor of the truck, ambulance or whatever I am driving that day. laugh

#97445 - 06/14/07 01:22 PM Re: Coffee [Re: LED]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I've got a plastic gizmo that works just like your cone filter thing. It has a little removable hoppper/filter in the bottom that you remove, put your coffee into, then you sit the thing on top of your mug, pour water into, wait a few minutes, and a nice hot cup of real coffee. Then I replaced it with an insulated mug with built in coffee press. I actually liked the drip/cone thing better, but this is one less thing to carry around (altho I don't backpack anymore, I do car camp, and ya gotta have coffee in the am)...

#97446 - 06/14/07 01:46 PM Re: Coffee [Re: LED]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I use one of these big percolator-type makers plus a thermos or vacuum bottle. One neat trick is to put a regular paper coffee filter in the basket. Cuts down on grounds and makes it a lot easier to dump out for the next pot. I use coffee bags for backpacking and they taste ok but nothing spectacular.

#97450 - 06/14/07 02:08 PM Re: Coffee [Re: LED]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
Big time coffee drinker here!
While camping I use an old fashioned 6 cup perc style with either my stove or right on the fire.
I use 4 scoops of coffee, fill it with water, once it comes to a boil I'll either turn down the stove to just simmer or move from hottest part of fire. Let it simmer for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, let it steep (basiclly settle) for a couple of minutes then right into the cup for me.
I ALWAYS make a pot in the evening and put it into my Thermos bottle. In the morning while the pot is on the fire I pour myself a cup from thermos and heat it a bit if needed. No waiting that way.

#97454 - 06/14/07 03:07 PM Re: Coffee [Re: ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I love coffee and I'm drinking a cup now! If I'm camping with the family, we almost always have some non-essential (my opinion) junk, so it doesn;t bother me to bring our little stainless perculator. But when I'm out alone or trying to stay light, I just use the Folgers coffee bags. No sugar or cream to mess it up laugh

#97457 - 06/14/07 03:38 PM Re: Coffee [Re: LED]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
My big brother/buddy/steady kayaking/trekking partner bought this about 7 years ago. We are still using it today. Yeah it is big, yeah it is heavy but for morning glory this is the best thing we found. Pretty handy for boiling tea, water and other stuff.

Link to the REI site: http://www.rei.com/product/401051

They also have a smaller version available.

#97463 - 06/14/07 04:14 PM Re: Coffee [Re: LED]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I no longer drink coffee but I was a real snob about it when I did.
This single serving filter does not use any additional filters it has a gold mesh screen. It makes excellent coffee.

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/aspx-products/1-623/2-42432/3-1/bb/one_cup_coffee_filter,single_cup_coffee_filter,one_cup_coffee_filters,1_cup_coffee_filter.htm?

Most of the gadgets you will find at a place like REI do not make very good coffee; some make terrible brown water instead.

French presses make a pretty good cup.

Edit; It looks like to one in the link has a SS screen instead of gold.

Edited by billym (06/14/07 04:15 PM)

#97488 - 06/14/07 06:47 PM Re: Coffee [Re: NightHiker]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
mellita makes a gadget that makes coffe that tastes like it cme out of your coffe maker. Same thing as your filter basket. but it only weighs about 2oz. and not as bulky as the filter holder from you old black and decker.

http://www.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+0008&Cat=

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.