Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97461 - 06/14/07 03:49 PM Meal planning help for a fishing trip
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Hello,

I'm going on a 5 day fishing trip next week. I was told by the person in charge that we would do things slighly different this year : everyone buys and brings his food for breakfasts and lunches, as well as all his drinks (water, wine, beer, etc.). We're going to be 9 people so it makes a huge grocery shopping list hard to manage.

Sounds to me like this might be a little complicated because the fridge that's in the camp is pretty small. The camp will be full or people running around the tables and counters so i'm actually planning to be pretty autonomous. It's the first time i'm actually planning this out so if anyone has some recommendations, i'd appreciate them. It looks similar to planning a backpacking expedition.

I'll bring my own ustensils.

Things i've thought of bringing :

-8 liters of water
-10-12 fresh bagels
-peanut butter
-a dozen CLIF bars
-some ready-to-drink breakfast replacements (Carnation make some)
-Soupworks pouches by Lipton (just add boiling water)

Any other interesting ideas?

#97467 - 06/14/07 04:54 PM Re: Meal planning help for a fishing trip [Re: SARbound]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
If you have cash Mountain House Freeze Dried dinners taste pretty good. Cous Cous is a good side dish - just add boiling water. If you add some lemon (they have packets of lemon powder) and some chicken (comes in a pouch to keep down the weight) it makes a good meal. The same type of meal using Idahoan instant mashed potatos makes for a good meal. For Breakfast - I love oatmeal or pancakes - the pancakes that are "add water". Lipton noodle dinners are pretty good too. Zatarain's has "complete meals" now - the meat is in the pouch - you just heat them. If you were careful you could probably boil the pouch - or you could just put it in a pan/pot with a LITTLE water or butter and heat it on a stove or carefully on the fire. Jerky for a snack. Peanuts or other nuts for a snack. It's a long list.

Bona Na Croin

#97468 - 06/14/07 05:10 PM Re: Meal planning help for a fishing trip [Re: SARbound]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Bee:
Go to www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago104.html That might give you some help. You can add or take away things that you don't like or need to carry. Have a fun SAFE trip and don't forget your PSK.

#97469 - 06/14/07 05:19 PM Re: Meal planning help for a fishing trip [Re: big_al]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
is your water (8 litres) enough?

is your water for cooking too?

does the camp provide water?

if not, you may want to double - or more - the amount you need to bring.

#97472 - 06/14/07 05:55 PM Re: Meal planning help for a fishing trip [Re: bsmith]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Hey Bee,

Spam, pockets of chicken and single servings pockets of mayo are great addition to any boring meal routine. Mayo mixed with mustard makes a decent dressing. Also canned soup or noodle soups are good. I also find bringing a lot of spices can change how meal tastes. I always find room for small can of jalapeno and tabasco. My typical pack list if I don't have to carry it includes canned potatoes and corn. It's all in just getting creative. I like the dyhydrated meals that backpacking shops have to offer but they are lil expensive but worth it if weight is an issue.

I would grab some more water unless you are not doing salt water trip and will have access to a tap.

I'm assuming that dinners are fish so I would spare you the typical tuna can packing.

#97496 - 06/14/07 07:28 PM Re: Meal planning help for a fishing trip [Re: Polak187]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Hmmm -- execllent question

bring a big cooler for yourself -- lots of water, juice, gatorade, etc.

they now make tuna in foil pouches ( add some condiment sized mayo packs and instant tuna salad!) and chili in little boxes-- both are sealed and need no fridge

beef jerky, hard salami, candy bars, etc

instant oatmeal packets and those mini-cold cereals with powerded milk...

bring extra to trade...

tro

#97515 - 06/14/07 09:30 PM Re: Meal planning help for a fishing trip [Re: teacher]
LED Offline
Veteran

If you wanted you could pre-pack single serving meals in ziplock bags using instant rice and dehydrated vegetables. In camp you just add boiling water, vegetable oil, and canned chicken/tuna and let it sit in the freezerbag for 5 minutes of so. You can also do the same thing for breakfast by packing oatmeal, rasins, nuts, etc. into a ziplock, and adding powdered milk and boiling water. Here's a good site mentioned here before that has great ziplock bag recipies.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

And here's another site that has really good packages of dehydrated food thats great for camping.

http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/mainhome.html

#97520 - 06/14/07 09:46 PM Re: Meal planning help for a fishing trip [Re: LED]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
How about eating some of the fish you catch? Fresh fish...yummy!

#97534 - 06/14/07 11:45 PM Re: Meal planning help for a fishing trip [Re: aloha]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Bee,

Sounds like a fun trip coming up. Due to the limited kitchen space and cold storage I might suggest a site .

freezerbagcooking.com

Sara and Kirk have been around for more than a few years and have perfected this technique. It's great for backpacking, camping, BOBs or just for pre-prepared meals. They have several menus available for each meal with plenty of variety. Quick, easy and best of all "no clean up!" I think this will help you if you have time to plan.

kmat

#97536 - 06/14/07 11:59 PM Re: Meal planning help for a fishing trip [Re: wolf]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'm glad someone mentioned the Lipton pouch meals. They now have a large variety of meals, every one I have tried was very good. Of course you will need access to a stove for 15 minutes or so...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 320 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.