Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#96151 - 05/31/07 03:01 AM Gotta love a weekend without TV, Gameboy, Computer
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Last weekend, we had about 15 boys from our Troop, and a few adults out for a weekend of camping, hiking, and white water rafting up in the boonies of Maine. We camped along the Kennebeck River, in a town called "The Forks", population 30, according to the signs. They could have easily filmed "Deliverance" here, if you catch my drift. In the rafting company's little shop, they had t-shirts that said "paddle faster, I'm hearing a banjo" crazy I think they could also call it the black fly capital of the free world, but, that's for another post...

Anyway, in keeping with the spirit of Aloha, I thought it was great to have a bunch of kids out in the wild for the long weekend without any electronics, only nature. They weren't bored. I have a few pictures of the first day. I don't have the rafting shots back yet. It was a blast, we had a great hike to Moxie falls on day one, and plenty of Class IV and V whitewater on the Kennebeck on day two. Here's some day one:

Along the way to the falls:

Are we there yet?

Ok, not too close boys:

That is TOO CLOSE:

This is what they were about to fall into:

Our band of tired hikers at the falls:

Back at tent city:

Hopefully we'll have some good shots of the trip through the gorge rafting, it was pretty wild. Nice way to spend the first two days of Memorial Day weekend. On Monday, we were all in a parade! (very tired legs at that point)

- Ron

#96162 - 05/31/07 05:49 AM Re: Gotta love a weekend without TV, Gameboy, Computer [Re: Be_Prepared]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
From the pics it looks like a great time in a beautiful place!

Thanks for showing the photos.

#96166 - 05/31/07 12:00 PM Re: Gotta love a weekend without TV, Gameboy, Computer [Re: NightHiker]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Looks like a great trip Ron, thanks for sharing!

I'm going to use your pictures to scold the parents of our scout troop, we had a overnighter planned the weekend before last and out of the 6 that had originally rogered up to chaperone, only 1 actually followed up on their commitment and we had to cancel the trip. blush

I'm still massively peeved mad

I am so blessed to have some great parents that volunteer as adult leaders. The weekend before this, we had a local camping trip planned, and it was POURING rain, like 40 days 40 nights type rain on Friday night when we were setting up. We still had 4 dads out there with us, and we were all just joking about how it wouldn't be a Scout outing if we didn't have some rain or snow!

Last weekend, we had a couple moms join us for the rafting trip too. We have about 25 boys registered in the troop, and 22 adults!

I know that I'm a lucky Scoutmaster for all the help I get. I just can't seem to find the thing in the Scoutmaster handbook that says how I pay them? Oh yeah, that's right, they can attend summer camp with us for free wink

- Ron

#96177 - 05/31/07 02:08 PM Re: Gotta love a weekend without TV, Gameboy, Computer [Re: Be_Prepared]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Ah, brings back memories. A group of kids, some who want to be there, some who don't. Some who are fearless, some who are scared sh...well, you know. And myself, the only dad who came along on every trip, often the only dad. And the only one with a pickup to haul the gear. Our stomping grounds were nowhere as pretty as yours, great pics...

#96194 - 05/31/07 05:40 PM Re: Gotta love a weekend without TV, Gameboy, Computer [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Our stomping grounds were nowhere as pretty as yours, great pics...

Well, I wish we always had such scenic trips, but, as you probably recall, it doesn't really matter where we camp... as long as the guys get to have a campfire, carve something with a knife, burn some things, eat some food that mom wouldn't serve, etc, they are happy! The scenery is just a bonus.

- Ron

#96302 - 06/01/07 11:58 AM Re: Gotta love a weekend without TV, Gameboy, Computer [Re: Be_Prepared]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
From your pictures everything looks awesome and it looks like you had a blast man. I love when people post their trip report with loads of smiley faces smile

My idea with extra luxuries while camping/backpacking and kayaking is as follows:

"you want it? you carry it. it goes in your pack/boat and you take care of it. if it gets wet/smashed don't cry"

Sounds harsh but all the little guys that come kayaking with us love it. They have their flashlights and lightsticks and somehow for the last two years it is all the entertainment they need. At home they are glues to gameboys (not my kids)

I used to date an anti-social lady who was a magic girl but somehow when the fireplace was lit she would stick around for my cooking and than check out to the tent while rest of us would hang around. Great girl but that was her flaw. This was the only time I was bringing portable DVD player to keep her occupied. Funny story is that one time we are sitting by the fire and we hear sword fight and I jump up running towards tents (no living soul in 5 mile radius). Than we relized she was watching "Crouching tiger, something dragon" on DVD. But since than I bring the radio to listen to the Baseball game which mostly gets shut down after 2 innings anyway.

#96372 - 06/01/07 09:06 PM Re: Gotta love a weekend without TV, Gameboy, Computer [Re: Polak187]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Polak187
I used to date an anti-social lady who was a magic girl but somehow when the fireplace was lit she would stick around for my cooking and than check out to the tent while rest of us would hang around. Great girl but that was her flaw.

We just don't have anyone that comes with us that wants to walk away from the campfire. I've always thought that campfires have some magical powers anyway. We practically have to drag the boys away from the fire at some point and send them to the tents. I think that they could sit around that fire all night, talking, telling jokes, grazing on snacks, and burning stuff. Problem is, we adults eventually are exhausted and need some sleep sleep

- Ron

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.